Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2018, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Soratama for Pentax Q

Anyone here try this floating crystal ball filter on a Pentax Q?

?PENTAX Q?soratama72??????: ?????

Last edited by 2old4toys; 11-27-2018 at 03:11 AM.
11-27-2018, 05:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope Where did you get it?
11-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks fun. Worth an entry on the to-do list.
11-27-2018, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Nope Where did you get it?

I bought the 72mm size in a Tokyo Bic Camera store in person but you can find them on Amazon Japan too.
It’s designed more for bigger cameras so is a little unwieldy I found.
This is my black Pentax Q with my own efforts to adapt the 72mm Soratama to the 02 zoom lens.

You need to juggle getting focus close to the ball, hence the spacing tubes etc... Also you have to consider how big you want the ball to be in your frame too. The focal length of the lens also dictates the field of view of the background around the sphere...

I just received a much smaller 52mm “Soratama for iPhone” version that is from Amazon Japan too costing about 45USD that includes a built in macro lens. I’m keen to adapt it for the Pentax Q. There are a handful of these Tokyo-grapher Soratama units still available on clearance right now by the way. Note the iPhone mount is not included.

If I can’t get it to work on my Q’s I can always use it on a mobile phone is my thinking. The drawback would be a camera phone having fixed aperture would not give me control of depth of field on the ball edges.

Last edited by 2old4toys; 11-27-2018 at 07:39 PM.
11-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote

I bought the 72mm size in a Tokyo Bic Camera store in person but you can find them on Amazon Japan too.
It’s designed more for bigger cameras so is a little unwieldy I found.
This is my black Pentax Q with my own efforts to adapt the 72mm Soratama to the 02 zoom lens.

You need to juggle getting focus close to the ball, hence the spacing tubes etc... Also you have to consider how big you want the ball to be in your frame too. The focal length of the lens also dictates the field of view of the background around the sphere...

I just received a much smaller 52mm “Soratama for iPhone” version that is from Amazon Japan too costing about 45USD that includes a built in macro lens. I’m keen to adapt it for the Pentax Q. There are a handful of these Tokyo-grapher Soratama units still available on clearance right now by the way. Note the iPhone mount is not included.

If I can’t get it to work on my Q’s I can always use it on a mobile phone is my thinking. The drawback would be a camera phone having fixed aperture would not give me control of depth of field on the ball edges.
This is cool 2old4toys. The Soratama 72 is available on ebay. Don't see the one for iPhone or Olympus TG.

Have you tried the 72 on other cameras besides the Q? Saw the iPhone version on Amazon Japan. Strange Amazon US doesn't even show the 72. There is also a diy lens sold by Zenjix. It is acrylic and won't be as good optically.

Even if you get the iPhone model attached to the Q, won't pics be different than 72? Seems the balls will be different sizes and take up different amounts of the frame.

Thanks,
barondla
11-27-2018, 08:53 PM - 6 Likes   #6

Photos: Albums
I have one and I use it exactly as the website suggests with extension tubes and step-up rings. I find it’s fun and creative. Here is one I took with the set-up. I also like to take firework photos with this. I find you need to keep this lens really spotless or the spots show up since you are focusing on the ball’s image

PENTAX | ?? soratama
HD PENTAX-DA 35mmF2.8 Macro Limited
Focal Length: 35mm(35mm equivalent:53.5mm)
Soratama Extension tube length: 50mm(10mm+20mm+20mm)
Macro Extension Tube: No need
Step-up ring: 49-72mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
11-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
I have one and I use it exactly as the website suggests with extension tubes and step-up rings. I find it’s fun and creative. Here is one I took with the set-up. I also like to take firework photos with this. I find you need to keep this lens really spotless or the spots show up since you are focusing on the ball’s image

PENTAX | ?? soratama
HD PENTAX-DA 35mmF2.8 Macro Limited
Focal Length: 35mm(35mm equivalent:53.5mm)
Soratama Extension tube length: 50mm(10mm+20mm+20mm)
Macro Extension Tube: No need
Step-up ring: 49-72mm
Wow that looks incredible! Really cool effect.

11-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I typically have about zero interest in special effects type of lenses and processing, but this strikes me differently for some reason. Looks like a lot of potential if you have the imagination to visualize it.
12-23-2018, 03:29 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Compared with the full size 72mm version, I am now preferring to use the 52mm Soratama. A more compact and convenient setup for the Q. I consider the smaller sized glass sphere a benefit too as you can bring the ball closer to the front lens element which helps further shorten the overall length of the contraption.
Still experimenting with what focal lengths I like best for Soratama use. This combination of the Cosmicar 8.5mm is mostly for portability reasons.

02-03-2019, 05:12 PM - 4 Likes   #10

Photos: Gallery
Compared with the full size 72mm version, I am now preferring to use the 52mm Soratama. A more compact and convenient setup for the Q. I consider the smaller sized glass sphere a benefit too as you can bring the ball closer to the front lens element which helps further shorten the overall length of the contraption.
Still experimenting with what focal lengths I like best for Soratama use. This combination of the Cosmicar 8.5mm is mostly for portability reasons.

Like the picture of ropes!
Could you give us a run-down as to what lens/adapters/ex. tubes you used for the smaller 52mm set up for the Q? It's a bit hard to distinguish, what's what.

I have the 72mm setup for my now a7 (previously k-3). It's an interesting lens/filter, I find it a little difficult composing with the image flipped upside down in the viewfinder though.

02-05-2019, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcphoto Quote
Could you give us a run-down as to what lens/adapters/ex. tubes you used for the smaller 52mm set up for the Q? It's a bit hard to distinguish, what's what.

Hi, I love your Soratama examples!
I used the following components:

2 piece C-Mount to Pentax Q adaptor
1mm C-Mount shim (acts as a macro ring for closer minimum focusing)
C-Mount Cosmicar/Pentax 8.5mm f1.5
40.5mm to 37mm step down ring
37mm variable ND deglazed
37mm to 52mm step up ring
52mm Soratama

Still a work in progress for my ideal setup.
02-13-2019, 12:41 PM - 2 Likes   #12

Love the "Late nite Gang bang", Soratama style!
This one is the same principle but done through a drop of salt water with a WG-3 (inverted, of course).

"The world in a drop of water"
03-20-2019, 08:40 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Taken today in Tokyo 1st day of blossom but with another combo. This time a Pentax 12.5mm f1.8 and the 52mm Soratama with Q-S1

10-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Taken today in Tokyo 1st day of blossom but with another combo. This time a Pentax 12.5mm f1.8 and the 52mm Soratama with Q-S1
Terrific image 2old4toys. Still considering one. The 52mm is more Q sized, but will it work on larger cameras? I have m4/3 and Pentax APS-C. Just added a ff K-1. Would the K-1 work with the 52mm version if a small filter sized prime lens is used? Or am I better off getting the 72?

Thanks,
barondla
10-07-2019, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The 72mm is more readily available and yes will work with many more lens / camera body combo options and also give you more area around the sphere to frame without vignettes. 52mm on the other hand is ideally sized for my Q series cameras, hence gets to come out with me on my travels far more often than the 72mm soratama does.