Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I picked up the K/Q adaptor as well and I used some pretty long glass in the beginning. Now I am using my FA 135/2.8 or my DA 100 Macro but not much else. Those two give me plenty of reach for what I do and I can still pretend that I can handhold them in good light. (Handholding with those two lenses usually turns out ok if I don't try and print too big; but I get a lot of failures as well.)
Native Q-mount lenses would make hand-holding doable even for focal lengths around 200mm - but manual focusing forced me to get a monopod so i could keep on the same subject for the entire process.

01-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
They are! I debated and debated picking up a Q-S1. The fear of small sensor and defraction and other woes of IQ gloom I read held me back.
People worry too much about diffraction.

Shortly after I got my Q-7 I did some back yard testing 300mm using a paper target.
My DA 55-300 gave essentially same results f/5.6 - 8.
My Sigma 70-300 gave improving results in the same range.
01-15-2019, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
It seems that Ricoh will be holding an event showcasing what what the Q series can do and how to get the most out of it on the 17th in Tokyo. It's a paid event, so a class of sorts... but still... a sign that the Q is not totally dead as Ricoh would not bother with such an event for a discontinued product.

LINK---> ENJOY PENTAX Q [??]???????????????????????????RICOH IMAGING
That is literally on the other side of the globe from me - just about as far away as one can be - so I'm not going. I do hope someone else will attend who can tell PF users what it was all about.
01-17-2019, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
It seems that Ricoh will be holding an event showcasing what what the Q series can do and how to get the most out of it on the 17th in Tokyo. It's a paid event, so a class of sorts... but still... a sign that the Q is not totally dead as Ricoh would not bother with such an event for a discontinued product.

LINK---> ENJOY PENTAX Q [??]???????????????????????????RICOH IMAGING
Did anyone from here go to this event???

01-24-2019, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #35

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see why they don't release a new one and also the macro lens that we saw the prototype of. I know it probably doesn't deliver a whole lot different image quality from a nice smart phone camera, but being able to change lenses and have better ergonomic controls actually makes a huge difference in the shooting experience with a camera versus a cell phone.
You cant compare the quality of a real lens with the junk that any smartphone have.
05-13-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Perhaps the last differentiating factor for people who care is lens quality. My 4 year old Droid 2 has a Sony 1/2.4 21 Mp sensor and the Q has an unbranded 1/2.3 12.4 Mp sensor. Put those two sensors in identical proper camera bodies with identical fixed lenses and the Sony sensor could very well win the contest.

The Q isn't a fixed lens camera, though, and the non-toy Q series lenses can't be compared to the tiny lenses on any smartphone. It seems to me that the lens quality more than makes up for the smaller number of Mps. I feel like a 21Mp image captured using a tiny lens can't be enlarged much bigger than a 12.4Mp image captured using the higher quality Q lenses.

I use the original Q as an example because anything that applies to it also applies to the Q7 and it's larger sensor.

As for the system's much speculated upon "death", considering the price any of the Q series still fetch on the used market it's no surprise that Ricoh won't commit to the end of the line. There is still money to be made and right now people other than Ricoh are currently making it on the used market. Are other "discontinued" compact mirrorless camera systems holding their value as well as the Q system?

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-15-2019 at 07:07 PM.
05-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #37
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Are other "discontinued" compact mirrorless camera systems holding their value as well as the Q system?
The Nikon 1 J5 (top model) goes for about the same as a Q7. The Nikon 1 lenses aren't holding value, they are prone to breakage. You can get a J1 with lens for less than $100. Nikon 1 cameras aren't as easily adaptable as the Q's, in what I've read on other forums it seems that there isn't much interest in them, which is too bad, they take great pictures.

Fujifilm has a bunch of MILC models, the older ones are pretty cheap, they definitely have fans.
MFTs are in a different universe, it seems to me that interest in that format has stalled.

I think there are still vast quantities of Q10s and Q-S1s in Japan, but not so much the Q-7s. Its hard to say what levels of Q lens inventory exist.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 05-14-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: new info
05-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #38
Pentaxian

The discontinued Samsung MX Mini has crazy USD200+ asking prices on EBay. There are only 3 system lenses and no c-mount adaptors commercially available vs the generous range of Q lenses and infinite adaptability on a Q.
05-15-2019, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #39
lu2

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The Q7 & Q-S1 have always looked like very fun little cameras to me. A new Q body with an EVF and/or an updated easy to see in the bright sun tilting LCD screen with touch screen interface & faster response would get the ball rolling. If they use the same sized 1/1.7" sensor with an accelerator chip, it could be something even more amazing. I'd carry that body, along with the 01, 02, 03, 06, & 08 lenses in a tiny bag with me just about everywhere.

But yeah. There are 2 types of people. Those that get the Q & those that don't. It seems like the majority fall in the latter. I guess we'll see what the future holds for the Q system. I would certainly like for it to be successful!
I just bought the qs1 and I thought it was cute, but let me see..
Then I took some photos and I really did like it. Beside you can use lot of vintage lenses with it.
05-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lu2 Quote
I just bought the qs1 and I thought it was cute, but let me see..
Then I took some photos and I really did like it. Beside you can use lot of vintage lenses with it.
May I ssk how much you paid?
05-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #41

May I ssk how much you paid?
Just paid £263 for a used s1 with both zooms lenses included in black - bought used on amazon.co.uk...coming from Spain...
The way I see it, I recently had to buy another 06 due to first one failing, that was £109...so taking off the cost of that lens I’m getting the s1 and 02 lens for £154...they’re going for more than that on eBay when they come up. And the majority are from Japan so will have to add import tax too..
...daughters taken with my original white q (bought used last year with 01 and 02 for £80, had slight damage to dial as top covers missing off it..but only about 100 photos taken on it!) so thought she could have it and I’ll have the s1 (in black)
05-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #42
Pentaxian

[RARE] Gold and Cream Pentax Q-S1 Practically NEW! | eBay

^ This one ends in about 17 minutes from now. No bids yet. They want $350. I'm gonna see what it ends up selling for.

---------- Post added 05-16-19 at 10:37 AM ----------

Sold for $0. I guess no one wants to pay that much.
05-16-2019, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
[RARE] Gold and Cream Pentax Q-S1 Practically NEW! | eBay

^ This one ends in about 17 minutes from now. No bids yet. They want $350. I'm gonna see what it ends up selling for.

---------- Post added 05-16-19 at 10:37 AM ----------

Sold for $0. I guess no one wants to pay that much.
It was listed as "rare", a term often used by sellers who are trying to get more than the item is worth.

In this case, "rare" may be true, but it doesn't add to the value {an Instamatic 100 would also be "rare", but I'm not convinced it would be worth $350 either}.
I paid $280 for my used-like-new Q-7 four years ago.
I really doubt time has increased the value of used-like-new "Q"s since then.
05-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nealjane Quote
Just paid £263 for a used s1 with both zooms lenses included in black - bought used on amazon.co.uk...coming from Spain...
The way I see it, I recently had to buy another 06 due to first one failing, that was £109...so taking off the cost of that lens I’m getting the s1 and 02 lens for £154...they’re going for more than that on eBay when they come up. And the majority are from Japan so will have to add import tax too..
...daughters taken with my original white q (bought used last year with 01 and 02 for £80, had slight damage to dial as top covers missing off it..but only about 100 photos taken on it!) so thought she could have it and I’ll have the s1 (in black)
Nice. Sounds like a solid deal. I was reading the "so expensive" thread, hence my curiosity. The Q system is holding it's value well.
05-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #45

Nice. Sounds like a solid deal. I was reading the "so expensive" thread, hence my curiosity. The Q system is holding it's value well.
turns out the seller didn't have any stock left - so I didn't get it..so the search continues..!