Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #61
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my Q; but for me, it's worthless outside, trying to look thru the screen. Yes, I've tried shading with hats, etc., it still is impossible to use to compose something. I just have to point in the general direction, and hope for the best.

06-13-2019, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I love my Q; but for me, it's worthless outside, trying to look thru the screen. Yes, I've tried shading with hats, etc., it still is impossible to use to compose something. I just have to point in the general direction, and hope for the best.
There are many hoods type products.
Digital Camera LCD Hoods & Shades | B&H Photo Video

Personally, given that there have been prototypes sold for the Q-macro on eBay, I think they sit down every now and the and debate whether or not they will actually produce it.

That would be in line with the "continuing to keep the Q line under discussion " wouldn't it?
06-13-2019, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are many hoods type products.
[url=https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/LCD-Hoods-Shades/ci/4968/N/3777857691?]Digital Camera LCD Hoods & Shades | B&H Photo Video[

Personally, given that there have been prototypes sold for the Q-macro on eBay, I think they sit down every now and the and debate whether or not they will actually produce it.

That would be in line with the "continuing to keep the Q line under discussion " wouldn't it?
Ricoh should offer the macro lens on Kickstarter. If enough people commit it gets built. Easy way to gauge interest and if Ricoh picks the correct goal there's no way they lose money. A win win.

Just do it Ricoh/Pentax. We will buy them.
Thanks,
barondla
06-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #64

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
Sorry, I think I will have to disagree with most of those points
  • It is not really a pocketable camera, but I'm not a big guy and I could cram the Q-S1 + 02 into my regular dress pant pockets. Not nice, but works in a pinch. There isn't going to be many truly pocketable cameras that are going to hold up to the Q shooting experience. Anything that is that small is going to get beat by the smartphone.
  • IQ? It takes great pictures, easily. Even if you're pixel peeping, based on what I saw over on DPReview, even the Q7 holds its own against the LX7 and I would say even better at higher ISO's. The Q-S1 is at least as good as the Q7
  • A pain to use? You kind of bring the camera in front of your face, you frame the shot and click the button. Couldn't be easier. I would argue it's even easier than having to look through a viewfinder (optical or electronic). The screen easily holds up even in bright sunlight. The only time it didn't work so well was when rotated and I was wearing polarized sunglasses.
The Q is not for everyone but have you tried taking it out for a real try and not just handling it in the shop?
The problem really is that people turn their nose up at the paper specs and never give it a try. There's a proper place for this camera. Unlike a smartphone, it's a proper photographic tool, it's more convenient and enjoyable to use. And unlike a full size DSLR or mirrorless, it's way easier to pack the body and a bunch of lenses for a trip. It's so small and light that it's never a burden to carry around with you all day.

I'm sure there are other small "prosumer" cameras out there that are pretty good, but didn't sell well (Olympus...) but how many of them have as many ardent fans as the Q-series? There's probably a good reason for that...

Yes, I used it for two or three weeks a white one. I ended buying a Fuji X20, for me a decent EVF or a good OVF is very important and the Q LCD is horrible unde daylight. I never liked to hold a camera like a cell phone, it's just a matter of preference, I don't like it.

06-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #65

Not that bad

I don't have problems with the Q10 LCD in sunlight, but the lag bugs me. It has the worst lag of any camera I've used.

It's the only camera that will really work well with all C mount lenses. That to me is its strong point.
06-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #66
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"There are many hoods type products."

Those huge hoods definitely defeat what I like about the Q; small size.
06-19-2019, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

"There are many hoods type products."

Those huge hoods definitely defeat what I like about the Q; small size.
That's why 99% of the time it's in the camera bag, but when you need it, it's about the same as a lens change.

06-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #68
Pentaxian

I still very much like the Q with the prime 01 for street and on the fly portraits.
And I would wish they would keep it alive.
Especially computational photography could give the system a new boost. Just thinking about (one of the two) 1" BSI-sensors from the Theta, the computational power (there necessary for stitching) and the Android system with open API and SDK could bring all possibilities of phone cams in a real camera with much better ergonomics and real interchangeable lenses...
Go, do it! You have an immediate costumer if done right!
06-20-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #69
Unregistered User

In addition to the 09 macro, I'd like to see a 90mm f2.8 tele, the "00" perhaps?
06-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #70
Forum Member

Hello,

I have made a poll back in January to see what what would be the most requested features on the Q. The one feature that keeps coming up first is the EVF / OVF, second weather sealing, third on sensor phase detect, fourth is WiFi, NFC, ....

As I said before in my humble opinion, Personally I would split the Q into 2 segments, 1 consumer (i.e. smartphone nerd) and one prosumer.

The consumer model would essentially focus on features like wifi implementation (NFC, etc...), filters, in camera editing, colorful bodies, etc... and the prosumer would focus on features such as weather sealing, video, slightly higher resolution, etc...

Features I really would like to see in the future iteration regardless (and it wouldn't cost Pentax much to implement it) are in no particular order:

- Tilty screen like in the K-1 to keep it snug
- Pop-up (pop-out) EFV
- Touch screen

- Weather sealing
- Pixel shift (is a must)

- Astrotracer
- GPS
- On sensor phase-detect

Most of the tech Pentax already possesses so there is not much R&D involved to get this working. I don't know if it is theoretically possible but maybe there could be a 2/3 sensor if the lens coverage allows it.

Despite everything, the Q is the most addictive shooting experience ever.
06-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #71
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's why 99% of the time it's in the camera bag, but when you need it, it's about the same as a lens change.
I don't carry a camera bag when outside in the yard; that's when I need to be able to see the LCD screen.
06-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #72
Pentaxian

I don't carry a camera bag when outside in the yard; that's when I need to be able to see the LCD screen.
I tend to have very lens I might need with me in the bag, and sometimes a second body.
06-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #73
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to have very lens I might need with me in the bag, and sometimes a second body.
We each have our own way of doing our photography. I now do not walk very far, so if I need another lens, etc., I simply go back to the house & get it. About 100% of my photography is now done from my immediate area.
06-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #74
Pentaxian

We each have our own way of doing our photography. I now do not walk very far, so if I need another lens, etc., I simply go back to the house & get it. About 100% of my photography is now done from my immediate area.
I've 3 border collies and an Aussie shepherd, We are walking outside the yard for 3 to 6 miles a day, and that's where an awful to of my pictures are teken. IN my yard I'm like you. I'd rather keep my spare lenses in the house in their cupboard.
06-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by BNBPhoto Quote
I have made a poll back in January to see what what would be the most requested features on the Q. The one feature that keeps coming up first is the EVF / OVF, second weather sealing, third on sensor phase detect, fourth is WiFi, NFC, ....

- Astrotracer
- GPS
- On sensor phase-detect
None of these would be of any use to me. Better (faster) LCD with more resolution is at the top of my list, followed by better IS and global shutter.