Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2019, 03:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Off-camera flash with the Q???

I tried yesterday to use some off-camera flash with my genuine Q. The native Q-flash seems nice for it as it is not powerfull at all, so one can expect it to be fine to just fire another more powerfull flash without adding too much light to the image.The problem is I can't set it to flash only once and cheap optical trigger I'm using is fooled by the preflash. I experimented at 1/13th of a second as I use only adapted lenses lenses plus 04 wide lens. After some exprimenting I managed to use my AF - 360 FGZ II. The trick was to set the external flash to multi mode (strobo) and set 4 flashes at 4Hz there (4 consecutive flashes during one second). I'm not unhappy with these results, however if I take Pentax flash I can rather easily have DSLR with me also...

Is it possible to turn off preflash on the onboard flash? Has someone tried Q with some simple radiotransmitters?

01-11-2019, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used cheap Kaavie brand radio triggers (the same units are available under a variety of brand names) and a couple of Powerextra DF-400 flashes (again, generic units widely available under multiple brand names) on the Q7 with success. In fact, those triggers will work with pretty much any camera with a hot shoe...

Obviously, it's an entirely manual setup, but no worse for that if it suits your needs.
01-11-2019, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

You could buy a manual only flash that has an optical slave mode that ignores pre-flashes and fires on the main flash. These are typically described as having S1 and S2 modes, or OS1 / OS2. An example is the Cactus RF60x, but this might be too expensive if you don't intend to use it with the V6/II trigger. But there are other more budget options.

Then again, having radio remote control over a flash is always a good thing!

Last edited by mcgregni; 01-11-2019 at 07:03 AM.
01-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you! I would like to buy some generic radio trigger anyway (their prices start at 10 USD per set shipped from China...). And yes, I have some flashes with adjustable manual mode.

But if it would be possible to use them with simple optical trigger and the Q it would be even better...

Last edited by Piotrek K; 01-11-2019 at 06:42 AM.
01-11-2019, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

As others above mentioned, cheap dumb radio triggers work just fine (I use a Cowboy Studio kit). If you absolutely need P-TTL and the flash isn't too far, a good old P-TTL cable can also do the trick. Generic ones can be had for not much money on ebay.
01-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Have to buy the trigers or the small slave flash that can omit preflash as I cannot fire any of my non-PTTL flashes via hotshoe;-)
01-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
Have to buy the trigers or the small slave flash that can omit preflash as I cannot fire any of my non-PTTL flashes via hotshoe;-)
I'd really recommend trying some of the very cheap radio triggers I (and others) mentioned. I bought mine as a very inexpensive (almost "throw away" cheap) way of trying out a manual radio setup for the first time, with the expectation that I'd upgrade to something better if I liked working with them. But I've been so happy that I've not felt the need to upgrade yet.

That said, my own use cases are very simple... primarily product photography and similar at this point, mostly using one, two, or - in very rare circumstances - three flash units. Aside from being able to set up transmit and receive channels and test fire the flash from the trigger, there's no other functionality whatsoever. But I confess, I rather like the simplicity. If you think you'd be OK with that too, these triggers are no brainers for a first or inexpensive step into radio controlled manual flash work

04-27-2023, 10:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote

What did you end up with. I want to see if one of these pre-flash delayed optical trigger gizmos will do the trick for me.

Seagull SYK-5 English Instructions - PentaxForums.com
04-28-2023, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
What did you end up with. I want to see if one of these pre-flash delayed optical trigger gizmos will do the trick for me.

My is looking like this, it works - mostly. However cheapest, no name, radio trigger from China seems tad better (little bit more range plus more relaible).
04-28-2023, 05:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
I want to see if one of these pre-flash delayed optical trigger gizmos will do the trick for me.

Just in case anyone here thinking to try this.

Further research, seems a Pentax AF350 (which I just picked up a well used one last week) has too low a voltage for the SYK-5 and also needs some DIY additional resistor soldering to make it handle some cameras with a gap between pre-flash and main flash any smaller than 70ms.
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/seagull-syk-5-remote-control-cube-53184
Hmm…
06-04-2023, 06:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Found an official Pentax off camera flash cable and pair of adaptors. The seller gave me a good deal together with an AF-360FGZ which was in much better condition than the one I already have at hand.

A 0.5m curly cable would have suited me better, but it is nice to have the optional length I have.

Now the hard part: to convince the old Missus to model for me. Have @LeRolls sample Flash pics taken with a Q as ref.

06-04-2023, 07:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

TBH this as awful… I’d much rather the internal pop-up Q flash triggered the external one optically. Will try my Yongniu that has an optical mode function that ignores pre-flash. Sorry Pentax.
06-05-2023, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Godox XPro radio trigger and a small TT350 (even does PTTL )

Otherwise it works with the Q on camera flash and a cheap YongNuo 560IV (set in slave mode). (this even does above 1/250 sync speed if using native lenses or the original Q-K adapter )
06-06-2023, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I have a vello flash sync cord that I use with my Godox Lux Senior. Works great!