Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I use my Q-7 with K-mount lenses the way I was taught to use rangefinder cameras - right thumb under body, right forefinger on shutter button, and left hand holding adapter or lens. In that configuration, 'grip' is basically irrelevant.
Great technique! I use the PKA-Q adapter mostly with the Pentax A* 300 f4 on a ballhead tripod. The grip helps aim the combo. Unfortunately the grip leaves very little room for fingers. Don't know if the Q-S1 would make this combo easier or harder to use.

When using Q lenses I also store Q on its side. The grip aids one handed removal of camera from case.
Thanks,
barondla

01-24-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I use a hot shoe thumb grip which allows me to hold it more like a DSLR (and with left hand supporting lens).
01-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
In my opinion, the Q-S1 is the camera to get. First, because it has the newer 1/1.7" sensor, which is a bit larger than the 1/2.3" sensor in both the original Q and the Q10. Because the sensor is larger but the number of pixels remains the same, then the pixels are less densely packed (from 43.57 to 28.62 Mpx/cm²), which is a good thing. The larger sensor is also better suited to the most commonly used lenses in the system. The 02 Standard zoom, which is approximately equivalent to a 28-84mm zoom when used on the smaller sensor of the Q/Q10, becomes a 23-68mm equ. on the larger sensor of the Q7/Q-S1. The 01 Prime, which is approximately equivalent to a 48mm lens when used on the smaller sensor of the Q/Q10, becomes a more useful 39mm equ. on the larger sensor of the Q7/Q-S1. The 08 Wide also becomes noticeably wider on the larger sensor.

Now, why not the Q7, which seems to be preferred by many because it looks and handles better? Most people consider that the Q7 is technically equivalent to the Q-S1 because they have the same sensor and that the only differences between both models are in the looks. But in fact the Q-S1 is a noticeably improved version of the Q7:
  • It offers continuous autofocus for video recording, while the Q7 doesn't.
  • The image processor has also been updated: the Q-S1 delivers improved JPEGs, with less noise and more detail, especially when you increase the ISO.
  • Response time is better: less wait at switch-on, faster AF and speedier write times.
  • White balance is also better, maybe because the Q-S1 has a stronger IR rejection filter (which makes the Q7 a better candidate if you want to try IR photography, although it would be even better to remove the IR rejecting filter altogether).
  • It seems that the device (auxiliary battery or capacitor) that supplies energy to the internal circuits while the main battery is removed is much more efficient on the Q-S1. On both my Q7 bodies, the clocks resets every time I replace the battery (as it does on my original Q bodies), while I never had this issue with any of my two Q-S1. But maybe it's only because they are obviously newer...

Q-S1 online reviews usually just state that the sensor and the display are the same as on the Q7 but most fail to acknowledge the various improvements between the two models. Here's a link to reviews (in French) demonstrating the differences:

The results of the tests conducted are quite clear IMHO. Let's have a look at the timings first.

Q7:
  • Low light focus: 1.13s
  • Telephoto focus: 0.46s
  • Wide angle focus: 0.54s
  • Photo1 -> photo2: 1.29s
  • OFF -> ON: 1.80s

Q-S1:
  • Low light focus: 0.83s
  • Telephoto focus: 0.32s
  • Wide angle focus: 0.47s
  • Photo1 -> photo2: 1.02s
  • OFF -> ON: 1.58s

And now, let's compare the pictures.

Q7:

Credit: Lesnumeriques.com

Q-S1:

Credit: Lesnumeriques.com

Cheers!

Abbazz
Well crap. I bought the Q7 instead of the Q-S1 because I thought they were the same. The faster write times and better jpeg processing is something I'd REALLY like to have. So now... I guess I'll be looking for a Q-S1 body...

Love my two original Q bodies, but they were just too SLOOOOOOOW shot-to-shot, especially in Raw+ mode.

Charles.
01-25-2019, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

The Q-7 has a firmware update, those speed figures might not reflect that.

01-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Q10, Q7 and QS-1 along with all Q lenses. But I would like to add another option if you dont have a Q camera and any lenses.

01-28-2019, 11:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I have a Q10, Q7 and QS-1 along with all Q lenses. But I would like to add another option if you dont have a Q camera and any lenses.

Olympus is cool but the cost to entry on the Q is far better. Besides the 08 the Q lenses are incredibly affordable, as well as having the ability to adapt C mount for extra fun.