Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What features would you like to see in a new Q (Choose up to 5)
Pop-up (pop-out) EFV 4567.16%
Tilty screen like in the K-1 2435.82%
Touch screen 1623.88%
Weather sealing 3552.24%
Pixel shift 2029.85%
Astrotracer 34.48%
GPS 1826.87%
On sensor phase-detect 2740.30%
Composition adjustment 22.99%
Wifi / Bluetooth / NFC 2537.31%
Other 1319.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2019, 08:52 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
On the 1/1.7" sensor, the 01 lens has the same field of view of 58°, same as a 39mm lens on a 24x36 sensor, and not far from a 35mm (63°).
I would say it's "not far from a 40mm" which is my favorite normal lens. The 01 lens is one of the best things about this system.

02-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
No EVF! Look, I have big digital files, I can afford to crop a little. Give me the option of OVF so I can save a bit of battery, even if framing is approximate.
When I first purchased my Q-7, my other camera was a 8mp Rebel; today my other camera is a 24mp KP.
The Q-7 has no pixels to spare in cropping, and I might I to do a lot considering the issues I have seeing LCD under sunlight.
An OVF makes zero sense for an ILC, when designers have to deal with range from 5mm to 45mm.
02-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Voted, then realised there's an "other" I'd want - more bit depth in the RAW. Guess having 14 bits in the K-1 spoils you! Don't understand the enthusiasm for WR, as none of the lenses have it so the whole range would need the upgrade for it to make sense.

Cheers

Jonathan
02-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
Don't understand the enthusiasm for WR, as none of the lenses have it so the whole range would need the upgrade for it to make sense.
Yes! All changes would have to be viewed in the context of what current lenses provide.

02-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #20
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The lens mount of Q is 31mm and the focal flange distance is 9,2mm.
Lens mount - Wikipedia

So this leaves room for a bigger sensor. No idea how big or that even a 1" sensor could fit, but my guess is that it does.
Image sensor format - Wikipedia

I think a bigger sensor could give new life to the Q system. So the old lenses could be used on their limited size (7,6 x 5,4 mm or around 42 % of what a new lens could use). New lenses for the new bigger sensor.

Maybe turning the Q system in a nice cinema camera. But photography is also very important. I think 4k would be essential for a new second life to Q.

I think a 1 inch sensor (13,2 x 8,8 mm) could fit. That could be used to the full width for movie mode (12,8 x 7,2 mm -> 14,7mm diagonal, leaving room for sensor shake reduction) or for stills using a 4-3 form (11,8 x 8,8 mm -> 14,7mm diagonal).

With a nice set of lenses this could give Q a new life.
02-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello everybody,

I didn't expect such an overwhelming response to this thread and I am happy. One thing is for sure, the Q is a camera full of passion.

When i did the poll I was indeed only talking about the body and tried to see how Pentax could upgrade the Q body without having to reinvent the wheel by implementing existing Pentax technologies. of course the expectations of cameras in 2019 are not the same as they were back then.

Perhaps we could launch a petition to Pentax and if we gain enough momentum we might tip the balance so that they can see that there is actual demand for it.

Thanks everybody and let's keep the flame lit.
02-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great poll BNBPhoto!
I voted for better screen, evf, weather proofing, Pixel Shift, and other. For other I would like Pentax to consider something that hasn't been offered in this thread.

My rescue Pentax Optio A10 finally gave up the ghost. Another was ordered from ebay. This one included the battery charging dock. Didn't realize how handy this feature was for an "always carry" camera with small battery. An extra battery can even be charged at the same time. Wonder if Pentax could build in the 3 contacts on the bottom of the next Q body? It would even minimize the clock memory failure somewhat. Do wonder what Pentax has planned for the little rubber plug in the Q battery compartment?

My other request would be a user removable sensor shield. Perhaps an accessory shield could be offered that didn't have the infrared filter.
Thanks,
barondla

02-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
2. incorporate 'accelerator' - would alleviate some issues resulting from small sensor
Not just an accelerator, they need full-on computational photography if they want to beat a cell phone while keeping a small sensor. It needs a mode where it bins 10 RAW files at all times and when you hit the shutter you almost instantly get a single RAW with much greater dynamic range, lower noise, etc.
02-01-2019, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought Pentax Q (first version) with 02 lens years ago and sent it back to Adorama. Comparative test against some Panasonic Lumix poin&shoot did not show much advantage. Last November I ordered Pentax Q7 from KEH in like new condition ($140). When it came it looked like new with image count 1. I ordered 01 lens (from Japan) and liked the outcome, so in December I ordered 02 lens. I do see its limitation but there is a lot of advantages. My main wish is better LCD, preferably adjustable. Second would be GPS (I am using it as a travel camera and would like to have geo tagging). And if the battery will stay longer (even if the camera will be a little bigger): that would be nice too.
02-01-2019, 09:25 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

When looking through the poll options, I found myself surprised at how little I'd want to change. GPS would be nice, sure, and I would certainly make use of an articulating screen, but those do take up a little more real estate. Fix the supercapacitor/clock-reset thing once and for all, I guess ... but I'm happy with my Q7 pretty much as it is. I feel lucky to have picked it up when used prices were probably around their minumum, a little over two years ago.
02-02-2019, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Do wonder what Pentax has planned for the little rubber plug in the Q battery compartment?
It's for the cable of the Pentax K-AC115 AC Adapter Kit (or the cheaper Fuji equivalent).

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
My other request would be a user removable sensor shield. Perhaps an accessory shield could be offered that didn't have the infrared filter.
Great idea. Like the IR filter on some Sigma DSLRs.

Cheers!

Abbazz
02-02-2019, 04:12 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Not just an accelerator, they need full-on computational photography if they want to beat a cell phone while keeping a small sensor. It needs a mode where it bins 10 RAW files at all times and when you hit the shutter you almost instantly get a single RAW with much greater dynamic range, lower noise, etc.

I personally think that the implementation of Pixel Shift will already compensate in great lengths the "weakness" of the smaller sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
3. EVF - I have yet to see an MILC succeed without one

I think that an add on EVF would help greatly in that regard, but also the absence of an EVF can be offset by having a higher quality screen with Pentax's air gap-less technology and also better anti reflective coating.

Last edited by BNBPhoto; 02-02-2019 at 04:19 AM.
02-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Personally, I don't need more pixels. In fact, I would prefer to trade pixels for dynamic range. I would love a Q-S2 with an 8MPix sensor with 14.5EV of dynamic range. And an electronic viewfinder, even an external one.

Abbazz
Hear hear! I too would love that, my single biggest concern with the Q is the limited DR.
02-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pero Quote
Hear hear! I too would love that, my single biggest concern with the Q is the limited DR.
An 'accelerator' is one way to improve DR and CD.
02-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #30

Vote = Other :

A VIEWFINDER (evf)

The best one available on the market now. Not a popish smallish useless thing.
Pentax 110 size ? YESSS !!!
better LCD, better everything.

Whatever Ricoh said, I still don't believe in a new Q...