Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2019, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #1

Q10 Macro question

The option for Scene->Macro is pretty much useless. It seems I need to check the macro extension rings (I already have the 06 lens). Do I have this right? Thanks much.

02-14-2019, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess that's just doing a few 'style' (color / sharpness...) settings - same as for other scenes modes like portrait which makes skin look a bit more red.
They never did release the proposed "09-Telephoto macro" lens.
02-14-2019, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gcisko Quote
The option for Scene->Macro is pretty much useless. It seems I need to check the macro extension rings (I already have the 06 lens). Do I have this right? Thanks much.
Hello welcome to the forum and the Q.

The macro setting never changes the close up abilities of interchangeable lens cameras. Cameras with a built in lens change the actual spacing between glass elements.This allows much closer focusing. The Q, or any other interchangeable lens camera, can't change lens element spacing.

The extension tubes have too much length. Only the shortest tube will work with the 06. You are better off buying close up filters for the front of your Q lenses.

Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures and discussing the Q.
Thanks,
barondla
02-15-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Actually I bought the Q10 (with the 02 lens) in 2016. I had been reading articles on this forum for a while and got frustrated and joined so I could ask questions I had. The Q10 worked well enough I bought the 01 & 06 lenses and both are great. The 08 is too expensive for my needs as I mainly bought the Q10 for astrophotography.

I recently finished a photography course to actually learn how everything is supposed to work. I thought I knew basic photography but you really do benefit from taking a course. So now I know a thing or two and only use the camera in manual. It turns out I am getting pretty good shots with the Q10 and am interested in Macro. I saw the close up/Macro filters for the front of the Q lenses on ebay but didn't know if they really worked. I guess they do.

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Hello welcome to the forum and the Q.

The macro setting never changes the close up abilities of interchangeable lens cameras. Cameras with a built in lens change the actual spacing between glass elements.This allows much closer focusing. The Q, or any other interchangeable lens camera, can't change lens element spacing.

The extension tubes have too much length. Only the shortest tube will work with the 06. You are better off buying close up filters for the front of your Q lenses.

Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures and discussing the Q.
Thanks,
barondla

02-15-2019, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi gcisko, welcome to the Q forum!

Good thing that you have the 06 lens, as it’s the most useful among Q native lenses to be used with close up filters and extension tube. Close up filters work on other lenses but don’t give as much magnification as on 06.

Just in case you haven’t checked, MaQro Qlub thread has a lot of information about close-up shots. Many of the pictures posted there are shot with adapted lenses, but there are also extension tube and close up filter examples.
The MaQro Qlub! - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by kwb; 02-15-2019 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Misspelled “Qlub” as “club”.
02-07-2022, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #6

Workarounds to not having a dedicated Pentax Q Macro lens

Hiya,

After I realised that a Pentax Q 09 Macro Lens would never realistically see the light of day, I bought a Ricoh GRDIII with Macro capability function for $50 on Ebay. THE GRDIII has not only a very decent Macro mode, but is a very decent camera too.

But from what I see, for those seeking to do ultra close-up work, the Pentax Q 04 Toy Wide lens produces results that are not too shabby at all! This YouTuber in Japan got some terrific footage of the insect world: