Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #1

My 06 lens just died.

Well...

It happened a couple of days ago, I removed the 02 lens and put the 06, when I turned on the camera I heard a loud buzzing, I thought it was the sensor vibrating to remove the dust, I turned off the camera and turned it on again, the sound was less intense but I realized that came from the lens, I turned off the camera again and removed the lens, physically the lens is fine, I have never dropped it or hit it. I cleaned the connection pins and put it back in the camera, the noise disappeared, but also the focus, both manual and automatic, and the focus point is stuck beyond infinity.

I'm a little sad since then, and I just wanted to share it with you.

03-09-2019, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

Same happened to me. I bit the bullet and bought another one. Many people have commented on it being fragile, I suppose that's the price you pay for getting such a lightweight zoom.
03-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Same happened to me. I bit the bullet and bought another one. Many people have commented on it being fragile, I suppose that's the price you pay for getting such a lightweight zoom.
I'm sorry it happened to you too.

Yes, it does feel a bit fragile, I thought that treating it with care would be enough, but it is an electronic problem that, sadly, does not depend so much on the care you give it.

It's a shame, I really enjoyed this lens.
03-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Yep, mine died too some months ago (bought second hand so no idea what it had been through before). First it refused to focus at times but switching camera on and off seemed to help. But finally it just made chirping sounds and wont focus. Pity, because i loved the lens but feel very hesitant about buying another one.

03-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Can the shutter still fire? How about the ND? Does the camera still recognize the 06 lens has been mounted and mark it in the Xif data?

I want to use the parts to make a dumb adaptor into a smarter one. If you can help.
03-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, these sudden deaths without a sign of trauma seem to be a characteristic of this favorite Q lens. I have lost two. One of them toys with my emotions by occasionally coming to life, focusing and then dying again. Only solution I have found is to buy an new one.
03-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, sorry to hear of this with the 06! I have one, and it's my very favorite on my Q. I didn't realize there is a problem with it, until this thread.

03-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It deserves to be your favorite lens. They do not all have problems. Yours may last forever.
03-11-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pero Quote
Yep, mine died too some months ago (bought second hand so no idea what it had been through before). First it refused to focus at times but switching camera on and off seemed to help. But finally it just made chirping sounds and wont focus. Pity, because i loved the lens but feel very hesitant about buying another one.
I am in a similar situation, I would like to get another one, but I see that the problem is not so isolated, I am deciding between getting another 06 or a 01.

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Can the shutter still fire? How about the ND? Does the camera still recognize the 06 lens has been mounted and mark it in the Xif data?
I want to use the parts to make a dumb adaptor into a smarter one. If you can help.
Most of the time the shutter does not fire, the camera tries to focus and, of course, it does not get it, then it freezes and I have to turn it off and on again. I have not tried shooting in MF, nor have I tried the ND Filter. The camera seems to recognize the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Unfortunately, these sudden deaths without a sign of trauma seem to be a characteristic of this favorite Q lens. I have lost two. One of them toys with my emotions by occasionally coming to life, focusing and then dying again. Only solution I have found is to buy an new one.
It is a pity that it has happened to more people, perhaps the quality control with the Q lenses is not that good, sadly there is no other option but to get a new one.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Wow, sorry to hear of this with the 06! I have one, and it's my very favorite on my Q. I didn't realize there is a problem with it, until this thread.
Hello, Carol, dont worry, as Mikesul says, your lens copy may not have problems at all, and it will always work fine. It is a great lens, that's why it hurts not to be able to use it again. It was my favorite too.

---------- Post added 11-03-19 at 09:16 AM ----------

Do you know if there is a service manual for the lens? I would like to try to fix it. (Or break it down even more )
03-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
Forum Member

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your 06. It's one of my favorites as well.

Does Ricoh (or anyone) offer repairs on these?
03-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ephophex Quote
I'm terribly sorry to hear about your 06. It's one of my favorites as well.

Does Ricoh (or anyone) offer repairs on these?
No, at least not in my country, I've contacted Ricoh México, but without success. They are more focused on printers and photocopiers, sadly.
03-12-2019, 12:44 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by diliegrOS Quote
I am in a similar situation, I would like to get another one, but I see that the problem is not so isolated, I am deciding between getting another 06 or a 01.

Most of the time the shutter does not fire, the camera tries to focus and, of course, it does not get it, then it freezes and I have to turn it off and on again. I have not tried shooting in MF, nor have I tried the ND Filter. The camera seems to recognize the lens.

It is a pity that it has happened to more people, perhaps the quality control with the Q lenses is not that good, sadly there is no other option but to get a new one.

Hello, Carol, dont worry, as Mikesul says, your lens copy may not have problems at all, and it will always work fine. It is a great lens, that's why it hurts not to be able to use it again. It was my favorite too.

---------- Post added 11-03-19 at 09:16 AM ----------

Do you know if there is a service manual for the lens? I would like to try to fix it. (Or break it down even more )

Just take it to bits already and share the pics with us! 😅
05-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #13

My 06 went late last year, had only used it a handful of times over 6 months, was bought off ebay brand new from japan...same chirping sound etc wouldn’t focus. Pentax told me to post it to Germany for repair, when it got there they said they couldn’t repair it and wanted to charge me £25 to post it back to me...told them not to bother! Bought another on amazon from Japan....still working ...so far anyway...fingers crossed...
05-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If anyone has a dead one and would like to donate it to science I'd be happy to do the autopsy and document it here