Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #1

Pentax Q 01 prime focus issue

Hello, this is my first post here, wondering if anyone can help me. After years of playing around with a Nikon digital point and shoot I decided to try an interchangeable lens system. I got myself a used Pentax Q with the 01 prime, used, on Ebay. The camera seems to work fine until stops focusing on subjects further than 3 or 4 meters... I have been fiddling with it trying to find a solution and something that fix the problem (sometimes) is pressing a few times the button to unmount the lens until manages to focus again.

Is this problem related to the contacts?

Here you can watch a few videos I made about this problem:
Pentax Q issues - YouTube

Any ideas on how to fix this will be really appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Jose

03-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! That does look frustrating. It's not an issue I have seen before. Intermittent problems often are the fault of bad contacts ... somewhere. But electronics go wooly in other ways too.

If a good cleaning of the lens contacts doesn't solve anything, I will only say that I think the lens itself is okay. This is because in your videos, when distant focusing fails, sometimes there's a moment when the LCD image looks sharp but then it won't lock. So the focus mechanism of the lens is apparently moving through the desired range, but the camera is what is responsible for recognizing when to lock.

Anyway I'm no expert - maybe others will have other ideas.

Can you show us the firmware version?
03-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jose. Welcome to the Forums. The Q is a nice little system and the 01 had a good reputation (I have them both too). I have not had any problems but your idea about cleaning the contacts is probably the place to start (both camera and lens contacts). I use isopropyl alcohol. Let us know how you go.
03-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
>>>> KF-F2 Electr(on)ic Contact Cleaner !

QuoteOriginally posted by Jose G Quote
Hello... Is this problem related to the contacts?
Any ideas on how to fix this will be really appreciated.
Thank you in advance, Jose
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Welcome !... Intermittent problems often are the fault of bad contacts...
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Hi Jose... your idea about cleaning the contacts is probably the place to start (both camera and lens contacts)...
Hi All !

I don't know if you can find it near your Cities : KF-F2 Electr(on)ic Contact Cleaner
Amazon keeps this indispensable Product in stock in Europe :
Aérosol 200 ml KF F2 Spécial contacts (1002): Amazon.fr: High-tech
Aérosol 500 ml KF F2 Spécial contacts (1001): Amazon.fr: High-tech

its very, Very Effective for Bad Contacts :
Declencheur EOS 30D/40D/50D Nettoyage P.1

it's Non-agressive for Plastic, Rubber, etc...
it's very very Penetrating...
Just Avoid the internals parts of Optics, where it could leave stains when drying...
Declencheur EOS 30D/40D/50D Nettoyage P.2

An indispensable tool with all the electr(on)ic devices we use...
https://www.chassimages.com/forum/index.php/topic,145962.0.html

Last edited by geo444; 03-11-2019 at 05:31 PM.
03-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Being small, the Q lenses are pretty fragile. They need to be well cared for. I broke an 02 zoom with a drop.
03-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the fast responses! I will start cleaning the lenses and will let you know...

J
03-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Finally I got around to clean the contacts. The cleaning didn't solve anything and now I'm back to the "not able to focus further than a couple of meters" stage ; (
Too bad as this little things takes awesome pics...
Anything else I could try?

---------- Post added 03-18-19 at 06:46 AM ----------

After my last post, I removed the sd card and turned on the camera, which started focusing normally. Then I turned it off and inserted the sd card. The camera is focusing fine at the moment...
03-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jose G Quote
Finally I got around to clean the contacts. The cleaning didn't solve anything and now I'm back to the "not able to focus further than a couple of meters" stage ; (
Too bad as this little things takes awesome pics...
Anything else I could try?

---------- Post added 03-18-19 at 06:46 AM ----------

After my last post, I removed the sd card and turned on the camera, which started focusing normally. Then I turned it off and inserted the sd card. The camera is focusing fine at the moment...
y

Maybe cleaning the contacts of an empty SD card and inserting and removing the card will get some gunk out of that mechanism. It’s difficult to get to those little contacts inside.