Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2019, 09:57 PM - 8 Likes   #1

Nobody told me the Q was so much fun!

Back when I was looking for a "pocketable" camera I settled on the Canon EOS M, because on paper it was waaay better than the Q-S1 (and honestly the employee discount didn't hurt). Pentax, I'm sorry. I should've gotten the the Q-S1.

It's 2019 and I finally got a used Q-S1 because the EOS M just wasn't working out for me. On a good day with good lighting and inanimate objects, the M can get great pictures, way better than the Q-S1. But the focus is horribly slow it's practically useless for anything that doesn't move. And it is also the first, and only, camera that I worry about the battery lasting long enough for even just one day. Many functions are deep within the touchscreen menu. It's maddening.

The Pentax Q-S1 is almost the complete opposite. It is THE MOST ENJOYABLE, MOST FUN camera I have ever owned. It's small and light enough to take anywhere. I can even pocket an extra lens if I want but I find the 01 prime is just the perfect lens for a lot of my shooting.
All those physical dials and buttons let me adjust whatever I need to, whenever, with ease. No fiddling through screen menus just to switch between, say, Tv and Av. I need the ND filter, it's right there.
The focus is leagues beyond the M, I had to deal with children at a playground and there was not a missed shot due to the focus being off (on the M, I would've missed at least 80% of the shots, it just can't keep up with speedy, erratically moving targets). I've done several hundred shots now and I think there might be about 3 of them where the focus didn't pull through.
Oh yes, and the battery is much better too. Don't care what the specs say but I can go out for a day of shooting and not worry about it running out at all, unlike the M.

And the images, there's nothing wrong with it, they look great. Yes, when pixel peeping, the M is going to beat the Q-S1, but in any other situation, the images still manage to look fantastic. Looks great on a full HD screen and I've no doubt it's got pixels to spare even on a 4K screen, which is all that I ask for. And yes, it does look way better than the 20MP images from my Xperia phone, not to mention being smaller and easier to handle. There's a few odd cases where the AWB was seriously off but it is handled very easily in post, so no biggie.

The one big problem with the Pentax Q-S1?
You have to shoot with it. Whatever you see in the reviews or in the datasheet or videos or whatever do not do it justice. I think this is one of those things you have to go out and use it for a while to appreciate it. Sadly, it's difficult to get test drives for most consumers and maybe that's why the Q-series wasn't a smashing success. The camera is much greater than the sum of its modest little components.

I wish Ricoh would consider a minor upgrade to the Q series. I would definitely get one. I dunno what I would do if this one breaks.

03-15-2019, 10:54 PM - 2 Likes   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are preaching to the converted! I was late getting in to the Q as well but for some applications it is hard to beat.
03-16-2019, 01:04 AM - 6 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We've been telling people how much fun the Q is for ages. You just haven't been listening

Glad you've seen the light!
03-16-2019, 01:30 AM - 2 Likes   #4

I do lot of inspection type work in hot dirty environments where I wouldn't be comfortable using a DSLR. ( Size for travelling is also an issue) I used to use a Canon G10 P&S but although the photos were reasonable I have found the Q and now Q7 with the short zoom lens the best thing for this type of work. I absolutely love using it and would immediately buy another if something happened to it.

---------- Post added 03-16-19 at 01:34 AM ----------

...further if the Q7 was to get an upgrade...

"Yes dear I do need to get this new Pentax Q. It's got feature ABCXYZ which I really need for my work!"

03-16-2019, 04:44 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do agree with everything said, just wish a macro lens had been added. I have an Oly EM10 and yea it takes better photos, but the Q is just so much fun. Bold monchrome setting is amazing.
I would say my in order of most useful Q lens, 01, 06, 02, 08, 03 and the rest.
03-16-2019, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The best new product Pentax could release would be an upgraded Q7 kit with the 01, 06, and 08 lenses, and possibly an updated 02 lens if they wanted to revisit that design. Include the hoods and the small polarizer that was in the previous Q7 kits.
03-16-2019, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
I dunno what I would do if this one breaks.
There are still some 'low mileage' units available from various sources. I have an eBay watch running just to keep aware of the market, since I also have just one of them. My Q07 + 01 + 02 + 06 kit lives in a small messenger bag that can inconspicuously go anywhere with me.

03-16-2019, 05:37 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I just wish a macro lens had been added.
That is what the K-Q adaptor is for. Put a K-mount macro lens on it and the world starts to look very big.
03-16-2019, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I discovered the Q series after becoming active in these forums. (I joined in July 2018 but didn’t become active until January 2019.) I bought 1 Q7 w/ the the 02 lens in early January and since then have acquired another yellow body and all the lenses except 04 and 05. I take one to work everyday in a jacket pocket with either the 01 Prime or 08 Wide Zoom when a DSLR would be too encumbering. Great for discrete candids like the Red Hat Society lunch. I often shoot stills in support of a social activist in situations where a DSLR would be too intrusive like pet care night at the low barrier homeless shelter. Furthermore, I often keep one close when I do go out with a brace of DSLRs.

My K-01 hasn’t seen the light of day since the first Q7 arrived.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 03-16-2019 at 06:04 AM.
03-16-2019, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep! Hold the phones, we have a winner! I went through similar gyrations. Wanted something I could throw in my messenger bag to follow me wherever I went with no thought about putting a kit together. My first attempt was an a6000 that came with the 16-50 and 55-210. It was working well, but I just had this "need" to get a Q-S1 to check it out because of what I had read here. I did. Got the 02 and 06 zooms. The Q-S1 went into my bag one day when I needed more room for work stuff. It has basically never come out. And when home and just chasing the dog or kids and I need to grab a camera fast, yep, the Q-S1 is what sees the joy. The K3II, K-1, a6000 look on while the little Q goes and plays. Sure there's still a place for all those other big boys and they get plenty of shutter time too, but it's really hard not to love the Q-S1.
03-16-2019, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Others have found it to be FUN too...

03-16-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

The camera is much greater than the sum of its modest little components.
I feel the same. It is an inspired design. The controls are much like those of a full scale DSLR, and somehow even someone with large hands can use it without feeling clumsy. Fun to shoot with, capable of professional quality results.
03-16-2019, 07:59 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Unregistered User

The camera is much greater than the sum of its modest little components.
And it is usable with almost any interchangeable lens ever made, with stabilization!

I've found that the Pentax 110 50mm to be a perfect match:

03-16-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still looking for a Q-S1 to go with my Q7 What I would like, in addition to a Q specific macro lens would be a small light fast 45-135mm (or 50-150) - and a more sunlight friendly screen (or Lumix GX7 style viewfinder)

Love these little beauties
03-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #15

Original Poster
Yes, I think a macro lens would be nice one day. Right now I'm just looking for the 06 to complement my 01 and 02 lenses.
It is really amazing, I mean I like my K-S2 but it's not something I can just pocket and go every where, any day.