Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 05:34 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
I just hit a silly quirk of the Q finding bulb mode does not let you shoot longer than 32s.

Is it the same on the MX-1?

So close to pulling the trigger...
There is no time limit in bulb mode.

03-31-2019, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
There is no time limit in bulb mode.
Testing my MX-1, I found that the bulb stopped after 30 secs, no matter how long I held it down... maybe it’s a setting that I missed but that was my xperience.
04-01-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Testing my MX-1, I found that the bulb stopped after 30 secs, no matter how long I held it down... maybe it’s a setting that I missed but that was my xperience.
My bad. I didn't read my manual completely.

From page 74 of the owner's manual

In Bulb shooting, the following functions are not available.- EV Compensation
- Auto Bracketing
- AE Lock
- j (Continuous Shooting), A (Burst Shooting(L)), and C (Burst
Shooting(H))
- p Capture
- Shake Reduction
• Bulb shooting ends compulsorily once the exposure time exceeds 30
seconds
04-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Alas my hesitation resulted in someone else catching a used silver MX-1 for €160. Blood pressure falling back to normal levels for me.

Q’s are aplenty on eBay but MX-1’s are like hens teeth comparatively.

That fast glass on the MX-1 not being available on a stand-alone Q lens is all I want really.
(Tilt screen comes a second)

Last edited by 2old4toys; 04-01-2019 at 06:47 PM.
04-02-2019, 04:34 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When the MX-1 came out the naysayers really came down hard on it. Price, shutter lag, lack of viewfinder etc. Sales never took off. Meanwhile those who did get one were very happy with them. When the price on Amazon in the US dropped to $220 for a new one I took the leap. As they became more scarce, the cost of a new one rose back towards list price.

I have always liked the results I have gotten with mine. Fine little camera with a very good lens.
04-02-2019, 04:51 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don’t think I need three small cameras. I’ve sold my Q7 kit mentioned above and I’m debating whether to sell my MX-1 or 2013 GR. Unfortunately whichever one is in my hand is the one I want to keep

I’ll probably keep the MX-1. I can get a GRlll with APSc sensor later.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-02-2019 at 08:29 AM.
04-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an Olympus stylus 1s. Same processor as the mx-1, great evf, WiFi, 28-300mm equivalent at f2.8-f8 throughout, manual focus, so many lovely things,..............
But I am still thinking of selling it to buy the mx-1 thanks to Mattias burling and blunty who also did a great YouTube review

04-04-2019, 03:04 PM - 4 Likes   #23
ne!
Forum Member

I'm a recent MX-1 owner and I think I'm in love*, great styling and incredibly sharp pictures with a superb jpeg engine-- for a camera like this it's fun to treat it like film, and black & white jpegs turn out sublime and ready to go without any fuss.

As much as I found the silver version appealing, I like the black much better because the rear screen looks odd to me against the silver and the reflections in the sun won't blind you like the silver might. And about the slow write times, yes the legends are true even with a fast modern SD card, but I didn't let that stop me and I have no regrets when I see the photos that come out of this little gem.

f4 1/500s ISO100
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e65373byojiydy6/MX-1_f4_1-500s_ISO100.JPG?dl=0

*I shoot with a K-1 and many of the best Pentax lenses and a 2013 GR which are all fabulous, too, and I always shoot RAW with these. Just mentioning this to put my remarks in context.

Last edited by ne!; 04-04-2019 at 03:11 PM.
04-15-2019, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #24

Have a Q and a Q7 and all the zoom lenses plus the 01. Last weekend I found an MX-1 locally.

All of them are great fun - Matthias nailed it when he said that he need both!

I love the weight and grip of the MX-1. Even in brilliant AZ sun, if you turn the screen brightness to max in all three channels, it’s good enough to compose (if you started out with a Brownie Hawkeye).
07-02-2019, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an Olympus stylus 1s which I was going to sell in favour of the mx1, but then matteus did a video on that. I still want an mx1 but he helped me realise how lucky I was
07-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both and I still prefer the MX-1. The Q was fun but failed on me and the MX-1 is still working fine. I added a WiFi card and now it's easy to send pics to my phone or ipad to do a better edit.
As for the B mode, is 30s, I just tried it.
11-01-2020, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Happened across a black MX-1 at a price I could not turn down and excellent condition to boot. 1st impression is that despite sharing the same sensor as a Q7/QS-1, this really is an entirely different beast altogether vs the Q series! I was wrong to think this was just a Q variant without the interchangeable lens option.
The body, to my surprise, is substantially bigger and heavier than a Q-S1 but reassuringly so, with luxurious construction materials and solid build quality. It feels very premium in the hand. Despite the larger dimensions, it remains more pocketable though, as the auto collapsing lens makes for a slimmer profile vs a Q-S1 with a mounted 02 lens. Loving the super close focusing of the fast lens! The great back screen I find is much higher resolution, significantly brighter besides the obvious advantageously tiltable aspect.
Very happy to have the MX-1 to compliment my Q's!
11-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Happened across a black MX-1 at a price I could not turn down and excellent condition to boot. 1st impression is that despite sharing the same sensor as a Q7/QS-1, this really is an entirely different beast altogether vs the Q series! I was wrong to think this was just a Q variant without the interchangeable lens option.
The body, to my surprise, is substantially bigger and heavier than a Q-S1 but reassuringly so, with luxurious construction materials and solid build quality. It feels very premium in the hand. Despite the larger dimensions, it remains more pocketable though, as the auto collapsing lens makes for a slimmer profile vs a Q-S1 with a mounted 02 lens. Loving the super close focusing of the fast lens! The great back screen I find is much higher resolution, significantly brighter besides the obvious advantageously tiltable aspect.
Very happy to have the MX-1 to compliment my Q's!
Lucky devil