Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2019, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QS1 wide lens options

WANT BEST WIDE ANGLE LENS FOR INDOOR ROOM PHOTOS.

IS THE 07 (THINK THIS IS THE #), AROUND $340-++ MY BEST BET OR SHOULD I LOOK FOR A K LENS WITH AN ADAPTER?

OR SHOULD I JUST FORGET ABOUT THIS CAMERA AND LOOK FOR ANOTHER ONE.?

SPENDING ADDITIONAL MONEY IS ALWAYS AN ISSUE WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE THE CAMERA +.

SURE WOULD APPRECIATE SOME GOOD INFORMATION.

THANK YOU,

MEL

Last edited by maxthecat; 03-27-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: GETTING CONFUSED ? WHICH IS THE ORIGINAL Q? I HAVE A QS1 PURCHASED A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO?
03-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxthecat Quote

IS THE 07 (THINK THIS IS THE #), AROUND $340-++ MY BEST BET OR SHOULD I LOOK FOR A K LENS WITH AN ADAPTER?

OR SHOULD I JUST FORGET ABOUT THIS CAMERA AND LOOK FOR ANOTHER ONE.?

SPENDING ADDITIONAL MONEY IS ALWAYS AN ISSUE WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE THE CAMERA +.

SURE WOULD APPRECIATE SOME GOOD INFORMATION.

THANK YOU,

MEL
You're not going to be able to get with-angle fields of view with an adapted K lens. TBH it might be better just to go for a larger format camera, unless you're willing to go for the 08

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adam Quote
you're not going to be able to get with-angle fields of view with an adapted K lens. Tbh it might be better just to go for a larger format camera, unless you're willing to go for the 08
can you kindly suggest a reasonably priced camera that would be good for my real estate work. Primarily room shots?

What is your opinion of the q 07 wide angle lens?

Read very good reviews ?
03-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you need to look at the 08 lens on the QS1, exceptional quality and compact package. For the price of a lens you will have a package that can get you quality as good as you would every need in real estate photos

reviews here

SMC Pentax-Q 08 Wide Zoom 3.8-5.9mm F3.7-4 Reviews - Q-Mount Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

03-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
the 08 is the wide angle zoom for Q. Worth every penny of its price. the 07 is the "lens cap" lens.
03-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find the Q system's no.3 and no.4 lenses to be fine, where the intended use is sufficient lighting and not large enlargement--8"x12" is certainly fine. And the Q and both lenses easily fits in a typical sport jacket pocket.

--The 03 fisheye is an interesting approach to very wide. If you look at my review of Imadio Fish-eye hemi software you will see an image taken with the original Q and the (No.3) fisheye lens and then pp with fisheye hemi. It provides a good (very) wide angle image. I really like the fisheye hemi way of adjusting the fisheye look to a normal one; however, it is a plugin to photoshop, photoshop elements, or lightroom (maybe few others?). I don't know, but as a rough guess, the resulting image on the QS1 is likely about FF equivalent of 18mm.

-- The 04 lens is a 29 mm FF equivalent on the QS1/Q7, and while much maligned, I think it is quite good.

And the QS1 you have and the fisheye lens can be purchased new for around $65, and Fish-eye Hemi software for $30, and the 04 for about $40.
03-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
BTW, attached is an example with the 04 lens on the original Q (so FF equivalent of 35 mm, not the 29 mm on the Q7/QS1).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #8

A little off topic but a $25 tripod would work for Indore real estate work. Then you can stop down and get greater DOF. (I've never done any real estate photography so I might be way off on my suggestion)

Regards
Photobill

03-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For real estate, you're going to need the 08 wide-zoom. A cheap small P-TTL flash and/or a cheap tripod would probably be good too for maximum image quality.
03-27-2019, 09:55 PM - 5 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 07 is the Mount Shield pinhole lens, which isn't wide at all.

Adapting K-mount lenses - even the very widest (like the DA14) will not give you a wide angle of view.

I'm sure you mean the 08 Wide Zoom. I love it. It's very wide, nice and sharp and takes commonly available 49mm filters. I haven't looked critically at its distortion, which for real estate use will be an important issue.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-27-2019 at 10:06 PM.
03-27-2019, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by maxthecat Quote
Thatíll be the Pentax 08 you are after. Super lens. Despite my wanting to, I finally cannot bring myself to reply you in all caps.
03-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 08 lens is superb, I love my Q7 with all of the telephoto lenses and the 8.5mm prime. Next best thing, a K1 with an UWA.

P.S. Please don't type in all capitals.

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 04:32 PM ----------

If you want to sell the QS1 let me know ;-)
03-28-2019, 06:08 PM - 4 Likes   #13
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others say, Q 08 wide zoom lens is your best bet on your Q-S1.

Straight lines look straight, unlike e.g. 02 zoom or 01 prime.

This one is at the "tele" end at 5.9mm.

Corridor by k kwb, on Flickr

And this is the widest at 3.8mm.

Night walk, Ochanomizu, Tokyo by k kwb, on Flickr