Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2019, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #1

Can the Q save both RAW and JPG when using a smart effect?

Hi there! On my Pentax Q-S1 I can save both raw and jpg when a smart effect is in use: this is the best way of shooting for me, because I enjoy shooting Bold Monochrome but also having the raw for the occasional time I need to also create a color version of the photo.

The first Q seems to lack this chance: whenever I activate some smart filter it puts me in jpg only mode.

Any idea? Is there something I am missing?

I am on firmware 1.14.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by rublev1360; 04-16-2019 at 03:02 AM.
04-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rublev1360 Quote
Hi there! On my Pentax Q-S1 I can save both raw and jpg when a smart effect is in use: this is the best way of shooting for me, because I enjoy shooting Bold Monochrome but also having the raw for the occasional time I need to also create a color version of the photo.

The first Q seems to lack this chance: whenever I activate some smart filter it puts me in jpg only mode.

I am on firmware 1.14.

Thank you very much!
I just looked at my Q-7, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "Smart Effect".
Could you provide an example by name?
04-25-2019, 01:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I just looked at my Q-7, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "Smart Effect".
Could you provide an example by name?
Hello, from the Pentax Q product page ( PENTAX Q|RICOH IMAGING ):

"The PENTAX Q provides nine Smart Effect modes to assure greater freedom of photographic creativity. You can even assign your favorite Smart Effect mode to the Quick Dial on the camera's front panel for instant recall."
04-25-2019, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rublev1360 Quote

I am on firmware 1.14.

Thank you very much!
A "Smart Effect" is the combination of three simple effects
* "Auto White Balance"
* Custom Image
* Digital Filter

In particular, "Bold Monochrome" is
* "Auto White Balance"
* "Monochrome"
* "High Contrast"

These effects are applied as the processor "develops" the image, converting the 'raw image' into a JPEG file. Since the effects show up only in the JPEG file, and since I would expect a "Smart Effect" to be used in 'Auto' mode by someone who had no plan to repeat the process on a 'raw' file, I probably would have made exactly the same decision to not waste time and space on a 'raw' file if I had been part of the design team. But, you will notice that my Q-7 stayed in RAW+ mode when I switched to "Bold Monochrome", afterwards and did create both JPEG and DNG files when I took a photo, so they must have changed their strategy between the Q and the Q-7, perhaps because of user feedback.

Last edited by reh321; 04-25-2019 at 09:30 AM.
04-26-2019, 01:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A "Smart Effect" is the combination of three simple effects
* "Auto White Balance"
* Custom Image
* Digital Filter

In particular, "Bold Monochrome" is
* "Auto White Balance"
* "Monochrome"
* "High Contrast"

These effects are applied as the processor "develops" the image, converting the 'raw image' into a JPEG file. Since the effects show up only in the JPEG file, and since I would expect a "Smart Effect" to be used in 'Auto' mode by someone who had no plan to repeat the process on a 'raw' file, I probably would have made exactly the same decision to not waste time and space on a 'raw' file if I had been part of the design team. But, you will notice that my Q-7 stayed in RAW+ mode when I switched to "Bold Monochrome", afterwards and did create both JPEG and DNG files when I took a photo, so they must have changed their strategy between the Q and the Q-7, perhaps because of user feedback.
Thanks for the comment, it was informative and useful.