Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

interesting malfunction

I must have had my 03 fisheye lens not mounted all the way or something as it was taking photos and I could see the edge of the lens in the corners. Took it off and back on and it fixed itself. I guess this certainly isn't capable of being mounted on a 1 inch sensor

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
04-16-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
I must have had my 03 fisheye lens not mounted all the way or something as it was taking photos and I could see the edge of the lens in the corners. Took it off and back on and it fixed itself. I guess this certainly isn't capable of being mounted on a 1 inch sensor
I'm assuming you're using the lens on a Q-7 or later model, in which case I'd guess this is due to the lens and mount contacts not not making connection - either because the lens wasn't fully turned into position, or perhaps dust or dirt on one or both sets of contacts. The 03 fisheye lens image circle covers the original Q sensor just fine, but not the later models which have slightly bigger sensors. So, when the camera identifies that lens, it records a cropped area of the image. If it can't identify the lens, though, it'll record the entire sensor area...
04-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Is that one of the toy lenses? If I recall they only cover the original sensor size not the larger size of the later q series bodies.

My guess is that the lens to body communication got cliches and it didn't turn on the crop needed assuming this wasn't on the original q.
04-16-2019, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

You will get this effect if you put a piece of paper over the contacts when you mount the lens, you also gain about 20° of coverage.

See this thread: Fish-Eye Options for the Q - PentaxForums.com

04-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have said, the 03 has full coverage only on the original Q or Q10. I had a speck of dust in mine and dismantled it to remove the dust. Not difficult but on the first re-assembly it was distinctly unsharp. I went back in and really tightened all the screws, and then it was fine. So it is a simple piece of gear but you will know if it is not happy.
04-16-2019, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #6

Blocking the contacts deliberately on the 03 fisheye is to obtain as much fov as possible. The very corners being dark is just an easy crop or slight de-fish but often I just opt to leave it. A great hack for 03 owners in my opinion.
04-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And the EXIF says it's a 48mm lens (221mm equiv) with 1/6 sec exposure. So the SR won't have got it right, either...
04-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
And the EXIF says it's a 48mm lens (221mm equiv) with 1/6 sec exposure. So the SR won't have got it right, either...
When you cover up the contacts of the 03 and mount it, you boot up the camera and get to manually input the focal length for EXIF purposes and also the IBIS to know how to behave accordingly.

Works fine with max field of view.