Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Holy moly imagine the magnification of a reversed 03 fisheye on a Q body!

01-21-2020, 10:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
I just discovered this thread. Cool item! I'm not a Q body shooter, but I've reversed a Q 03 fish-eye. Even though it lacks filter threads, I managed to mount it on my KP using a 37-49 step-up ring and a K-mount 49mm reverse adapter. I put a bit of masking tape around the front of the lens barrel for a snug fit in the 37mm end of the stepping ring.

There might be a combination of stepping rings that would let you mount it on a Q body using the Q mount reverse adapter which is the subject of this thread. No lens shutter or aperture to worry about, either.

I was pleasantly suprised with the results. This is a close-up of half-tone printing on a laser printed price tag:

I've put up a thread here on the Q forum here: Reversed 03 fish-eye on KP - PentaxForums.com
The reversed FE provides far better image quality than expected. Wow! Thanks for posting this info. Have to try this now.
Thanks,
barondla
01-21-2020, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The reversed FE provides far better image quality than expected. Wow! Thanks for posting this info. Have to try this now.
Thanks,
barondla
You're welcome! Certainly better than I expected as well. I'm going to be trying it with a set-up that includes a tripod, flash (or at least better light, probably my Ikea Jansjo) with diffusion, and a focus rail. I'll post my results here when I do.
01-23-2020, 10:21 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

More results from the reversed Q 03 fish-eye on my KP. I'm posting this on all three threads where I've been talking about this; "Reversed 03 fish-eye on KP", "Pentax Q mount macro reverse rings", and "Macro by any means necessary club."

Camera is tripod mounted on a focus rail. Electronic shutter with 12 second self timer for shooting, existing light using a diffused Ikea Jansjo light.

First some more "indutrial" targets. Printed number on a lens barrel:

Printing on a business card:

The edges of some small manilla envelopes:

Still industrial, but not mechanical. Multigrain bread...

and the surface of one of the seeds on the top of the bread.

Some closeup bug bits.

Our first subject, an unfortunate shield bug (?), which I found dead in a corner of the bedroom, under some stuff.

Here's the whole insect:

And a close-up of its eye:

Our second contestant is a cast-off cicada husk:

Some of its bits. The business end of one of its digging claws:

And spines at the (wrist? elbow??) joint of the same limb:

An adult cicada (found deceased).

A close-up of one of its eyes:

Because of the very limited depth of field, reversing the Q 03 fish-eye might best be used with flat subjects. More three dimensional subjects move out of the limited plane of focus very quickly in either direction; image quality is such that it might not be worth the trouble of stacking, though I'll let those who actually do focus stacking (of which I am not, as yet, one) decide this for themselves. I don't think this optic is a hidden gem that's going to take the photomacrography world by storm. That said, it is fun to play with and makes for a comparatively compact rig for high magnification shooting. If I'm feeling particularly optimistic (or masochistic) I might even try it in the field once weather is warmer.

02-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The link you gave takes me to a page with one line of Chinese text. Is there another way to get this reverse Mount?

QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
Very cool! I have the Q->52mm adapter, very similar. Didn't know a 40.5mm existed!
I think I found it on Taobao:
Lens Accessory Pentax Q Lens Reverse Loop PENTAX Q-40.5MM Reverse Loop Reverse Loop Microring

How much did you pay for shipping?

---------- Post added 05-22-19 at 12:17 PM ----------

also of interest on Taobao might be this Q cap set:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=542464475188

hard to find, these look just like Pentax original and cheap!
the rear Q lens cap is superior to the common flat type imo, stays on lens or adapter better!