Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2019, 04:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Replacement rubbery flaps for Pentax Q’s?

I just acquired a very neglected Q which seems to be operational thankfully. However the rubber bottom flap for the HDMI and USB/AV just disintegrated and crumbled to bits in my fingers. I suspect the mini flap by the battery compartment will be the same but leaving it alone for fear. Is there a source for replacing these flaps otherwise a way to keep the condition of the rubber good for longer on my other Q. This should be a concern for all of us Q users.

07-12-2019, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
I just acquired a very neglected Q which seems to be operational thankfully. However the rubber bottom flap for the HDMI and USB/AV just disintegrated and crumbled to bits in my fingers. I suspect the mini flap by the battery compartment will be the same but leaving it alone for fear. Is there a source for replacing these flaps otherwise a way to keep the condition of the rubber good for longer on my other Q. This should be a concern for all of us Q users.
I can't help with replacements, I'm afraid... but I will say, I've owned my original Q since just after it became available here in the UK, and the rubber port covers on mine are no different from new. Maybe it's something to do with the temperatures and/or humidity in which the camera is kept? We have a fairly mild climate here, with few extremes...
07-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My guess would be the previous owner used some chemical to clean it. Which in turn destroyed the rubber.
07-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Also bought the original Q when it first came out ( something like $800 with 01). Covers still look and feel like new. Probably chemicals as posted by steve_k. Though I've had some rubber focusing rings turn whitish. Was told this happens because some of the chemicals were mixed wrongly.
Thanks,
barondla

07-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #5

Is it possible to make a replacement with Sugru? I used it to make a wall around the mode dial on my old K20D, so I don't accidentally move the dial when the camera goes in and out the bag. It's fairly flexible. Though a bit pricey for what it is, if there's no other choice it would be a cheap repair. It does come in black.
07-12-2019, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
may be you find it here: You searched for pentax Q - USCameraUSCamera
07-13-2019, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #7

Exposure to UV/Sunlight, chemicals from cigarette smoke, cleaning or even the previous owner's skin!

If USCamera doesn't have the part listed they can try ordering it from Ricoh as long as it is still available. You have to contact them with a parts request.

07-14-2019, 03:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. It is indeed possible that the previous owner/owners had the rubber parts exposed to light for periods or even to some chemical agents.

My camera bodies and lenses are kept in a dry box which itself is inside a closed cupboard so hopefully that is enough to help preserve my other Q’s.