Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2019, 07:42 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A fewe from Skagway, Alaska

Some people told us that this is the place that a certain Presidents grandfather started in the gold rush of 1889.

A children's playground

Museum

This was our favourite lunch stop when we visited Skagway from Whitehorse, Yukon. They grow their own vegies.

Comments are always welcome and appreciated

08-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice photos. Which camera, lens?
08-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
HYS
Veteran Member

Nice pictures! Thank You!
08-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the perspective of the first photo, it takes a moment to realize you were on the ship when you took it. It's also the most attractive side of the cruise ship terminal in Skagway, the pedestrian view as you walk to the harbour is basically of an abandoned rail and freight yard. I assume that the Red Onion Saloon is no longer a working brothel?

08-20-2019, 10:59 PM   #5

Nice sampling from a lot of good pictures, I bet. The tiny town of Skagway has room for 5 cruise ships (and the state ferry). When they are all in port, the town streets make Disneyland seem empty. Summers see 1200 to 1500 workers flood in, more than doubling the locals. The Red Onion may no longer be an official brothel, but, after the cruise ships leave, the evening negotiations are similar to the good ol' days.

Last edited by zoneV; 08-20-2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: remove quote
08-21-2019, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Nice photos. Which camera, lens?
Thank you, Q7 and 01 and 08 lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Nice pictures! Thank You!
Thank you kindly

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I really like the perspective of the first photo, it takes a moment to realize you were on the ship when you took it. It's also the most attractive side of the cruise ship terminal in Skagway, the pedestrian view as you walk to the harbour is basically of an abandoned rail and freight yard. I assume that the Red Onion Saloon is no longer a working brothel?
Thank you for the kind comments. Depends which way you look at it, people still pay 10 bucks to take the tour, (tour guide in historical garb) so it's still making money.

QuoteOriginally posted by zoneV Quote
Nice sampling from a lot of good pictures, I bet. The tiny town of Skagway has room for 5 cruise ships (and the state ferry). When they are all in port, the town streets make Disneyland seem empty. Summers see 1200 to 1500 workers flood in, more than doubling the locals. The Red Onion may no longer be an official brothel, but, after the cruise ships leave, the evening negotiations are similar to the good ol' days.
Thank you for the kind words. I took a quick walk early on before the crowds descended on the village. That day there where 3 cruise ships anchored there and in the afternoon it was bedlam.
We lived 16 years in Whitehorse, Yukon and visited Skagway many times but this was before the bid Cruise ship boom. Here is one from 1984:

---------- Post added 08-21-19 at 09:39 PM ----------

Why was direct linking denied?
08-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice pictures, they bring back memories of my trip there in 2012. Did you go on the White Pass and Yukon RailRoad? That was one of my favorite trips. If you cruise, Ketchikan is also a great stop and walking tour.
08-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Nice pictures, they bring back memories of my trip there in 2012. Did you go on the White Pass and Yukon RailRoad? That was one of my favorite trips. If you cruise, Ketchikan is also a great stop and walking tour.
Thank you kindly, I had taken the rail tour years ago when we lived in Whitehorse, Yukon so this time I did not. Ketchikan is in deed a nice place to take a long walk