Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q-7 Mode dial issues?

So, I was going through a lot of my older camera gear and decided to refresh batteries in my gear. Dragged out my old trusty Q-7 and found it was needing a charge. The spare batteries were ok, anyway, I'm doing the recharge now. As I really haven't used it much since my 365 project in 2015, I was playing around with is and noticed something curious. Granted, once upon a time I knew my Q-7 inside and out, there has been enough time passed that I've forgotten a lot of nuances.

What I noticed that the mode dial (P, A,v Tv, M, Auto, etc.) seems to be acting a bit weird.
When Av, Tv, or P mode is selected the camera display shows M mode selected.
When it's in BC or M mode the camera display shows BC mode selected.
When it's in Auto or SCN mode the camera display shows SCN selected.
When movie mode is selected the display shows M mode selected.

Note that the mode displayed is how the camera behaves too. Also the firmware is 1.01 which is the last update.

Clearly I don't believe this is the way it's intended to work. So I'm asking 1) if anyone has seen this behavior, 2) can you confirm my conclusion?, and 3) is this worth fixing (I realize that, is really up to me at this point but I'd still like an opinion).

Thoughts?

09-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Quick thought, have you checked the other dial on the front is in the default position, maybe that is affecting the main dial? Will check mine tonight when I get home
09-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Quick thought, have you checked the other dial on the front is in the default position, maybe that is affecting the main dial? Will check mine tonight when I get home
Actually I did check and cycled it through all setting, no change. Thanks.
09-05-2019, 02:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Odd question, do you have a lens mounted, sometimes the modes on the 01 02 06 08 show differently than when using the more basic non shutter lenses or adapters?

09-05-2019, 06:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Odd question, do you have a lens mounted, sometimes the modes on the 01 02 06 08 show differently than when using the more basic non shutter lenses or adapters?
Thought about that. This has occurred with both the 02 and 06 lenses. Also noticed last night that on start up the camera worked correctly ... and then when I changed modes flipped back the conditions I described above. This has convinced me that, something is wrong either with the mode dial function or something internal. Looks like it will need to be sent to Precision Cameras for repair. Fortunately, they only want $132 for repair.
09-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried turning the mode dial around and around numerous times at a decent speed (with camera off). It's possible that the dial's connections are dirty and aren't making good contact. Turning the mode dial rapidly for several seconds could clean away the residue and allow the camera to function normally.
Good luck,
barondla
09-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have you tried turning the mode dial around and around numerous times at a decent speed (with camera off). It's possible that the dial's connections are dirty and aren't making good contact. Turning the mode dial rapidly for several seconds could clean away the residue and allow the camera to function normally.
Good luck,
barondla
While I thought I'd done that, just did a test of this now. It sort of worked...for awhile, then it reverted to the above operation. However, this does point to the problem. Thanks.

12-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update on this thread.

Got very busy doing other things this fall and finally broke down and sent my Q7 to Precision for repair. At something like $132 USD, that wasn't too bad a cost I felt to get my Q7 back to tip top shape. Sent it in late November....Got it back this week, once again unannounced from Precision with this startling result.

"Returning unit unpaired out of service life."

Cost $0.00. Well, for one, it would have been good to know that they wouldn't repair it before I sent it. At least they didn't charge me for this, but...this leaves me with a quandary. Can I still get it repaired? If not then I have a nice hunk of small electronic junk. Q7 parts anyone?

I've just considered getting another body like a used S1 or something like it but I'm asking myself, whether I'm committed to using the Q system any more (as I have plenty of other cameras, big and small with far more capability than even the last Q camera).

Thoughts anyone? Repair ideas? I'm at a loss here.
12-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Update on this thread.

Got very busy doing other things this fall and finally broke down and sent my Q7 to Precision for repair. At something like $132 USD, that wasn't too bad a cost I felt to get my Q7 back to tip top shape. Sent it in late November....Got it back this week, once again unannounced from Precision with this startling result.

Cost $0.00. Well, for one, it would have been good to know that they wouldn't repair it before I sent it. At least they didn't charge me for this, but...this leaves me with a quandary. Can I still get it repaired? If not then I have a nice hunk of small electronic junk. Q7 parts anyone?

I've just considered getting another body like a used S1 or something like it but I'm asking myself, whether I'm committed to using the Q system any more (as I have plenty of other cameras, big and small with far more capability than even the last Q camera).

If I were you, I would ask what I would use the Q-7 for.

I use the Q-7 for intimate photographs - even though mine is yellow, people don't seem to notice it. It is very quiet. I also use mine when I don't want to carry a larger camera with me - such as the time I took only my Q-7 on the train, because i was trying to minimize luggage. But that is me, I cannot tell whether/when you need one.
12-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Update on this thread.

Bummer bummer bummer! Sorry they couldn't fix it. The Q-S1 came out fall of 2014. So a 5 year repair life is all there is? Wow, thats brutal and unexpected. Perhaps the part needed was a wear item and the stock has been depleted?

You could try to get it repaired some where else. If it's a parts issue they might be able to rob a "refurb" part from a Q7 with a different problem. You could also try taking the mode dial apart to see if the electrical contacts need cleaning.

If you were ok with repair, I would replace the body. Q-S1 has some improvements. Or pick up another Q7. Couldn't live without my Q!

Good luck,
barondla
12-15-2019, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If I were you, I would ask what I would use the Q-7 for.

I use the Q-7 for intimate photographs - even though mine is yellow, people don't seem to notice it. It is very quiet. I also use mine when I don't want to carry a larger camera with me - such as the time I took only my Q-7 on the train, because i was trying to minimize luggage. But that is me, I cannot tell whether/when you need one.
Well, given that I have a 645z, K-1II, K-3, K5, MX-1, and a Lumix compact digital camera. I really don't need my Q system anymore, but yes, it always was good just as you said.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Bummer bummer bummer! Sorry they couldn't fix it. The Q-S1 came out fall of 2014. So a 5 year repair life is all there is? Wow, thats brutal and unexpected. Perhaps the part needed was a wear item and the stock has been depleted?

You could try to get it repaired some where else. If it's a parts issue they might be able to rob a "refurb" part from a Q7 with a different problem. You could also try taking the mode dial apart to see if the electrical contacts need cleaning.

If you were ok with repair, I would replace the body. Q-S1 has some improvements. Or pick up another Q7. Couldn't live without my Q!

Good luck,
barondla
Yes, it was unexpected. I'm considering a Q-S1 but really as I said above, I don't really need it either.

Thanks guys for the thoughts.