Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q-S1 questions

I've recently got a nice looking Q-S1. It has a couple of "quirks" however...

Firstly, when I took the battery out to charge it, it lost the date and time settings. Should it do that? I've not had to reset those with my other Pentaxes.

Secondly, it will often zoom right into an image when I am trying to take a photo. Helpful in manual focus but a pain otherwise. Am I knocking something accidentally, or is there a fault?

Many thanks, Kris.

10-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Secondly, it will often zoom right into an image when I am trying to take a photo. Helpful in manual focus but a pain otherwise. Am I knocking something accidentally, or is there a fault?
Try setting Focus Ring in AF mode (Menu C2-10) to 2 (disable)

when I took the battery out to charge it, it lost the date and time settings
This is a problem that others have reported. I've got five Qs and haven't had it happen yet, but I have multiple batteries.

I always change the battery as quickly as I can.

Here is a thread on that: Losing Date, Camera Reset?? - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Cipher; 10-01-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: more info
10-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've recently got a nice looking Q-S1. It has a couple of "quirks" however...

Firstly, when I took the battery out to charge it, it lost the date and time settings. Should it do that? I've not had to reset those with my other Pentaxes.

Many thanks, Kris.
Congrats on the Q-S1. The missing date & time is something that happens to most Q. Some people have luck opening the battery door and pumping the battery in and out (without Locking ) multiple times to exercise the electrical contacts. If this doesn't work, the battery can be swtched in about 5 seconds, retaining the memory.

There is a function to turn off the magnified view in manual focus. On the Q7 it's menu>camera icon page 1>AF/MF Settings>MF. Then on that page scro down to MF Autozoom and select Off.

Hope to see some of your images. Enjoy the Q.

Thanks,
barondla
10-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Try setting Focus Ring in AF mode (Menu C2-10) to 2 (disable)

This is a problem that others have reported. I've got five Qs and haven't had it happen yet, but I have multiple batteries.

I always change the battery as quickly as I can.

Here is a thread on that: Losing Date, Camera Reset?? - PentaxForums.com
Many thanks, the focus ring was the problem. Works a treat now.

Best wishes, Kris.

10-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the QS-1 is a great little camera. I have a K-01 that if I change battery the time resets. Its annoying but nothing we can do.
10-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never had an issue with my Q-S1 loosing it's memory with a battery switch. Now I'm worried....
10-01-2019, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I've never had an issue with my Q-S1 loosing it's memory with a battery switch. Now I'm worried....
Don't worry. Even if your camera develops the problem at some point, it is easy to work around. Just have a newly charged battery at hand to swap out in 10 seconds or less. My original Q has had this problem for 4+ years and I never notice it.

Thanks,
barondla
10-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my two Q7's loses the date upon changing the battery.

One of my two K-01's, the same thing.

Fortunately, none of the other settings change, just the time and date, so it's a minor inconvenience.

10-02-2019, 03:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've ordered some spare batteries... My Q-S1 was without any battery while the one I have was charging, so hopefully having some extras will solve that little problem.
10-02-2019, 05:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the battery also my have sometimes the problem but only if I forget to reinsert the battery for two days, with another my camera (the K-01) there are only some minutes before lost the date and time setting, probably all the new cameras have some internal rechargeable battery (only the Ist D have a normal exchangeable battery) that keeps the settings as set.
10-02-2019, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Don't worry. Even if your camera develops the problem at some point, it is easy to work around. Just have a newly charged battery at hand to swap out in 10 seconds or less. My original Q has had this problem for 4+ years and I never notice it.

Thanks,
barondla
Well this might be the answer to my luck. I do always keep a spare on hand, two in fact, and with no thought to it, a battery switch is something I do in a few seconds anyway. I guess I could be bold and let it sit, but I think I'll live on the edge and see what happens.
10-04-2019, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

I have 2 Qs which were losing time and date on battery switch. I ran each from a mains AC voltage adaptor for a couple of hours to see if that would charge up the internal battery/capacitor and it seems to work. The mains adaptor terminates in a dummy battery and was intended for a Fuji camera which takes an NP50 battery. The cable comes out the wrong side to match the removable plug in the bottom of the Q but it works with the battery door open. I should open the dummy battery up and re-route the wire some day.