Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 02:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Q + M lens vs conventional telephoto zoom for M4/3

Good morning all

As my back is ageing, weight becomes a dominant factor in choosing gear, which is why I have partly migrated to M4/3 for travel use. But I still have a shedload of old Pentax DSLR bodies (any offers?) and lenses, including M lenses in good condition (dry box).

As an alternative to carrying a fairly substantial M4/3 telephoto zoom, would it make sense to get a Q body and put an M or K 28, M50 or M100 or M150 on the front? The body will weigh very little. The crop factor really cranks up the effective focal length.

The downside, I suppose, would be no EVF, and no stabilisation.
How does the Q image quality compare with the average phone these days? I bet it's better than my iPhone 6S.

10-10-2019, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For longer shots, anything with effective length above 50mm (which is what the "telephoto", lol, lens of the newest phones amounts to) will mop the floor with any phone, more so the 6S (which, while very good for its intended purpose, has only a 28ish equivalent lens)
The M150/3.5 is very small, under 300 g, but effectively 800mm already so maybe too much.
A Q with a fast fifty like the M50/1.4 or M50/1.7 would be your best bet I guess; effective length of 270mm is long but not "I need an external sight" long like the 100+ lenses.
10-10-2019, 03:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If you think about handholding 100 mm could be ideal, but I do not tested this particular lens. 150 mm might be too long for many, for me it is the longest I can use, really on the border. Sharp 50 mm lenses are also good for macro on the Q.
10-10-2019, 03:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As you already have the lenses then why not? You can use a cheap mechanical only adaptor or get the genuine Pentax one which has its own shutter built in. You do retain stabilisation, you will be prompted to enter the (actual) focal length on start-up. There is an optical viewfinder accessory but it only give a normal lens field of view, it might be helpful in initially aiming longer lenses but not more than that.

10-10-2019, 04:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
As you already have the lenses then why not? You can use a cheap mechanical only adaptor or get the genuine Pentax one which has its own shutter built in. You do retain stabilisation, you will be prompted to enter the (actual) focal length on start-up. There is an optical viewfinder accessory but it only give a normal lens field of view, it might be helpful in initially aiming longer lenses but not more than that.
Somewhere I have a couple of those viewfinders that you put on the hot shoe. Can't remember what FOV the frames indicate. As you say they would only be useful for general aiming but it might be fun to try. I have 28, 50 and 100mm lenses that it would be worth having a go with.

OK, off to eBay I guess.

---------- Post added 10-10-2019 at 07:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
If you think about handholding 100 mm could be ideal, but I do not tested this particular lens. 150 mm might be too long for many, for me it is the longest I can use, really on the border. Sharp 50 mm lenses are also good for macro on the Q.
I have an M50/4 macro - that could be interesting.
10-10-2019, 05:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
Somewhere I have a couple of those viewfinders that you put on the hot shoe. Can't remember what FOV the frames indicate. As you say they would only be useful for general aiming but it might be fun to try. I have 28, 50 and 100mm lenses that it would be worth having a go with.

OK, off to eBay I guess.

---------- Post added 10-10-2019 at 07:35 PM ----------

I have an M50/4 macro - that could be interesting.
I have the pentax Q K mount adapter and find it works very well,100mm lens gives equivalent to 550mm so as long as you treat it as a super tele with shutter speed and monopod etc, the photos work out well, as mentioned the stabilisation is in body so it still works
10-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
The downside, I suppose, would be no EVF, and no stabilisation.
Hi, the stabilisation is present, when you switch on the camera with a lens that is not one of the q lenses the camera ask you the mm of the lens so if the stabilisation is on the lens would be stabilsed in the right way (that can be a problem with a zoom but is ok with fixed lenses as yours).

10-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

They IS iż suite efficient on the Q, but many tend to use lower value, like 130 instead of 150.