Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dual Q wild thought

Wonder if 2 Q bodies mounted back to back with 2 fisheyes would be able to mimic the Ricoh Theta 360° camera? Just a crazy thought.
Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 10-10-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Tablet can't spell Ricoh
10-10-2019, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
interesting
10-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
interesting
Actually own a Q & Q7. Have the Q fisheye and the Fuji security camera fisheye. This would be a mismatched setup. Q's have different sensor sizes and fisheyes aren't matched. But, wonder if the difference would be noticeable in a 360 degree image? Not sure how to process such an image. Have to think more on this.

Thanks,
barondla
10-10-2019, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great idea!

And a set of six Qs arranged in a cubical configuration would provide higher and more uniform resolution.

Behold the Qube!

10-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have to think more on this.
forget thinking.... get photographing
10-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting idea but the Theta relies on in camera stitching and image adjustment. Two cameras could probably be made to work but it would involve considerable effort on the part of the photographer in post processing. 360 degree panoramas can be done using ICE and other software but that uses many photos from one camera.
10-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Behold the Qube!

I think this might get a little cumbersome

10-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Interesting idea but the Theta relies on in camera stitching and image adjustment. Two cameras could probably be made to work but it would involve considerable effort on the part of the photographer in post processing. 360 degree panoramas can be done using ICE and other software but that uses many photos from one camera.
I mean people have been doing 360 degree photos long before the Theta came out. I don't much see the point in using a multiple camera system when you can use a single camera. The point of the Theta is convenience.
10-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I mean people have been doing 360 degree photos long before the Theta came out. I don't much see the point in using a multiple camera system when you can use a single camera. The point of the Theta is convenience.
_Yup!
10-10-2019, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote

I think this might get a little cumbersome
That would be Qumbersome.
10-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wonder if 2 Q bodies mounted back to back with 2 fisheyes would be able to mimic the Ricoh Theta 360° camera? Just a crazy thought.
Thanks,
barondla
That would be fun, but the fisheye should provide larger than 180 degrees horizontal angle of view if you just want to use two cameras for stitching. In my experience 03 fisheye is like maybe 120 degrees or a bit more (no scientific measurement though). You probably need at least three bodies, which would look cool anyway.

Maybe there are wider fisheyes, though.

(Edit: That ~120 degrees thing is before removing the automatic cropping done on Q7 body.)
10-10-2019, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I had this idea last year to try to turn my old smartphone into a 360 camera. @kwb is correct, you would need very wide lenses, wider than the typical "fisheye" lenses we normally consider for cameras. This allows the image to wrap around the camera. It is a very fun idea though, I had fun working on my project. The results were cheap, but that's because I spent $5 on two cheapo wide-angle lens adapters for my front and rear cameras, and then a few hours programming an app that would record both front and rear cameras at the same time. The process of putting them together was manual but not all that time consuming. You can see the videos below, if you're interested. I also have a bunch of things I learned through the process that you may not have thought about, like 1:1 aspect ratio sensors vs 4:3. Read the description of the video for more details.

(this one shows a brief clip of the actual lenses on the smartphone)
10-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One downside is it's difficult to avoid selfies. (six mounted together would be Qumbersome? groannnnn...)
10-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #14

Ya, but...

Ya, but... Something that no one think of...

No matter how many camera you suggest, one would still miss top and bottom (sky and ground) to cover the 360° angles. Where a Theta camera really takes a shot of “everywhere”.
(except a really tiny portion under the camera)
10-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
And a set of six Qs arranged in a cubical configuration would provide higher and more uniform resolution.

Behold the Qube!
I love the sheer zaniness of this idea. You should market it.