Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What big system do you carry and does the Q ride along?

It has been said that the Q is a great 2nd system. Do you own a bigger system, if so what, and do you carry the Q as a back up?

My main system is Pentax K-01 or other APS-c dslr or K-1. Lately been carrying the A 15, 31, 43, 77, and A*200 macro with K-1. Usually carry the Q or Q7 with # 01 and Pentax PK to Q adapter. Have to be ready for those ultra telephoto shots.

Thanks,
barondla

12-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
What big system do you carry and does the Q ride along?
Why such question and why does it matter?
12-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q is still on my list of cameras I want to get. Probably either the purple Evangelion Q10 (just because I like the look) or a Q7. I think I would definitely carry it when taking out my K-7, as well as probably when I don't have it with me as well.
12-07-2019, 11:59 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It matters because the OP is interested.

As for me, no, I don't carry a second system (beyond my phone for instant sharing of snaps; improve that Image Sync app damn it!). I have thought about the Q but mostly as a standalone system -although I might, instead, go for the Ricoh GRiii to always have something "at the ready", as I don't typically need long teles.

---------- Post added 12-07-19 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
The Q is still on my list of cameras I want to get. Probably either the purple Evangelion Q10 (just because I like the look) or a Q7. I think I would definitely carry it when taking out my K-7, as well as probably when I don't have it with me as well.
I was close to buying the clearly superior Eva-02 red/orange version. Asuka all the way.

Last edited by Serkevan; 12-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.
12-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I do carry two systems, but not a small one and a big one. Both are APS-C - Pentax and Samsung NX.

Usually, I pack something along these lines when going out on safari:
  • Samsung NX1 with 16-50mm f/2-2.8 and 50-150mmf/2.8
  • Pentax K200D with Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 and SIgma 70-300mm f/4-5.6
The above covers all the bases as far as focal length go, but I back them up with some K mount MF primes that can do special things. There isn't room in the bag for all of them, so it varies. Here are my current favorites:
  • Samyang 8mm fisheye
  • Takumar 35mm f/2.3
  • SMC Pentax M 50mm f/1.4
  • SMC Pentax A 50mm f/2.8 macro
  • Rokinon 85mm f/1.4
  • SMC Pentax K 200mm f/2.5
  • SMC Pentax A 400mm f/5.6
A K to NX mount adapter goes along for the ride, so that the MF lenses can be used on both Pentax and Samsung bodies.
12-07-2019, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Why such question and why does it matter?
It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, like much of what's discussed in our community. It's just a pleasant discussion topic that we can choose to engage in or not, as we wish

To the OP's question:

My larger systems are Pentax K-mount for APS-C and Sony A-mount for full frame... weird mix, I know, but I won't bore you with the details as to why; I've posted about them previously.

My A-mount gear includes several larger and/or faster lenses - 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, Tamron 150-600 (G1) etc. When I'm shooting any of those lenses, I consider that my "big" system.

My K-mount gear includes a number of APS-C bodies, old and newer, and a fair range of prime and zoom lenses - but, with the exception of my DA*60-250, they're all fairly compact and manageable. As such, I consider this my "mid-size" system, and it's what I shoot most frequently.

I adore the Q system and often choose to shoot with that alone. It depends on the situation and use case(s), of course.

If I'm merely going out for a morning, afternoon, or full day of shooting, I typically only carry one system and two or three lenses appropriate to what I think I might be shooting. If I'm going away for a weekend break or more, I'll take either my big or mid-sized system with a few more lenses and my Q system (usually the Q7) with 01, 02 and 06 lenses. Depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing on any particular day whilst on vacation, I'll choose which system to carry.

I don't ever walk around with more than one system. I may have in the past at some point, but I certainly wouldn't nowadays... I try to carry as little as possible
12-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I often carry the Q7 as a back up. On a recent trip (trying to keep the gear down) I carried the K-3 with Sigma 24-60/2.8, FA135/2.8 and Takumar 50/1.4. My back up was the Q7 with 02 and 06.

12-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If I can find room in the bag, my Samsung NX100 makes a good backup. With a body cap on, it takes up little room. I also tend to take it with me everywhere when I am commuting. With the 20-50mm folding kit lens it is still very compact and sits unobtrusively in a corner of my laptop bag.
12-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have my K-1 II, K-3 II, and K-5 IIs. I usually just carry one, depending on what I am interested in shooting. The lenses that are on them basically just remain on to avoid dust, dirt, or any other contamination. That way my lenses and cameras stay clean.
12-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use the Q either by itself when traveling light, or as a second camera. When the Q is used with another camera, my main camera is either a medium format (Fuji G690, Pentax 6x7) or a Sony A7.

When even the Q is too bulky, I use a DxO One in standalone mode. Its lens is fixed (f/1.8 32mm eq. prime) but the sensor is bigger than the Q's (1").

Cheers!

Abbazz
12-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My "big" system is a K-3 II + battery grip that is almost always paired with one of an assortment of large, old telephoto lenses. Smaller lenses are generally used on my K-70 or K-01, and when my Q7 travels with me most often the 03 Fisheye is mounted.

For me, the "Q" is not a backup, rather it fills a niche that my other gear is physically incapable of filling.

Really, any Q user who does not have the 03 is missing out.
12-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I vary what I carry quite a bit. At the moment I am doing the "Single in..." challenge with my K-3 and a K18/3.5 so that is usually with me. Often I just take the Q outfit when I'm cycling. The other morning I was out with my 5x4 view camera. I've been using my Ondu pinhole camera quite a bit since I got it in August.
12-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I was close to buying the clearly superior Eva-02 red/orange version. Asuka all the way.
I know it's just me, but I find that color combination on the Q my least favorite of the 3. Rei's is probably the cleanest looking Q, but I'm a huge fan of purple. (Oddly, I like Rei and Asuka both better than Shinji.)
12-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Now I have an embarrassment of riches - three systems. Which one(s) I take with me depends on the circumstances.

(1) my Q-7, which I take to performances, like the Madrigal Dinner I am going to tonight.

(2) my K-30

(3) my KP

On vacation I tend to take all three, because “you never know”.
12-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bassat Quote
I usually only carry a 645N and one lens for whatever I plan to shoot. Why to I need a backup? What is a Q?
A small, mirrorless interchangeable lens camera system with remarkable IQ for its size. It has a pretty strong following on these forums, and for good reason...