Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How to make a hard reset for Pentax Q10?

Hello, after lens changing from manual lens to native standard zoom lens Q10 body works about 2 seconds and after turns off. If during this 2 seconds I begin view photos on come it shows them if I make a pousethe camera turns off. I had tried to replace lens to another standart zoom. but the behavior of camera did not changed. It looks like some software setting were damged .

Is there a way to make a hard reset?
Best regards,
Igor

12-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't advise on a hard reset but I would be inclined to put in a fresh battery and see if it will take the latest firmware (even if that is what it already has).
12-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Is there a way to make a hard reset?
Best regards,
Igor
With my Q-7, removing the battery for a minute or two serves as a hard reset. Unfortunately it also forgets the time, but that may be less important to you.
12-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I can't advise on a hard reset but I would be inclined to put in a fresh battery and see if it will take the latest firmware (even if that is what it already has).
Thank you, I will try this.

12-17-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
With my Q-7, removing the battery for a minute or two serves as a hard reset. Unfortunately it also forgets the time, but that may be less important to you.
Hello, removing the battery did not solved the issue.

---------- Post added 12-18-19 at 07:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The camera does not give me a time to walk through menu options to the firmware update options - every time it has turned off earlier than I can achieve this point of menu.
12-17-2019, 11:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello, removing the battery did not solved the issue.

---------- Post added 12-18-19 at 07:05 AM ----------

The camera does not give me a time to walk through menu options to the firmware update options - every time it has turned off earlier than I can achieve this point of menu.
Is the whole camera turning off or just the monitor screen? There is a way to make the screen go black while photographing.

1. You might try removing the battery and leaving it out for 3-4 days. There are cameras that don't reset after only a few minutes of power loss. Q have a circuit to keep date info using a hidden internal battery (though this fails often on older Q bodies). Cheap to try.

2. You could try downloading the current firmware to an SD card and put it into the camera. When turned on it may detect the firmware and go to that menu screen automatically. Worth a try.

3. Have you tried cleaning the camera body and lens contacts with a soft cloth? Weird things happen when camera and lens can't communicate with each other. Also make sure the lens is locking into place. If a lens isn't on all the way electrical contacts don't line up - causing loss of communication and erratic behavior.

4. Try turning the mode dial to a different setting.

Let us know if any of this works,

barondla
12-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Is the whole camera turning off or just the monitor screen? There is a way to make the screen go black while photographing.

1. You might try removing the battery and leaving it out for 3-4 days. There are cameras that don't reset after only a few minutes of power loss. Q have a circuit to keep date info using a hidden internal battery (though this fails often on older Q bodies). Cheap to try.

2. You could try downloading the current firmware to an SD card and put it into the camera. When turned on it may detect the firmware and go to that menu screen automatically. Worth a try.

3. Have you tried cleaning the camera body and lens contacts with a soft cloth? Weird things happen when camera and lens can't communicate with each other. Also make sure the lens is locking into place. If a lens isn't on all the way electrical contacts don't line up - causing loss of communication and erratic behavior.

4. Try turning the mode dial to a different setting.

Let us know if any of this works,

barondla
Thank you, I will try this.

12-25-2019, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Option #1 did not helped.
01-04-2020, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have bought another Pentax Q. It will be my 3rd q-format cam)
01-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have bought another Pentax Q. It will be my 3rd q-format cam)
Is this new one the only one of yours useable right now?
01-06-2020, 06:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is this new one the only one of yours useable right now?
New camera (Pentax Q) is not delivered by post, I am waiting it. Two other, Pentax Q (my) and Pentax Q10 (my daughter's) are broken. We are not fist owners of these cam's.
01-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New camera (Pentax Q) is not delivered by post, I am waiting it. Two other, Pentax Q (my) and Pentax Q10 (my daughter's) are broken. We are not fist owners of these cam's.
Two dead Q bodies, ouch. Hope the 3rd Q arrives soon. What is wrong with the original Q?
Thanks,
barondla
01-06-2020, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Two dead Q bodies, ouch. Hope the 3rd Q arrives soon. What is wrong with the original Q?
Thanks,
barondla
With original Q has happened well known issue - camera has failed after attempt to turn it on with discharged battery.
01-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With original Q has happened well known issue - camera has failed after attempt to turn it on with discharged battery.
Sorry the original Q failed. Thanks for the explanation. Q seem to be pretty reliable. Didn't realize trying to turn on with a dead battery could break the camera. This is a design flaw, camera shouldn't try to do anything if the battery is too low. Good luck with #3.
Thanks,
barondla
01-06-2020, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry the original Q failed. Thanks for the explanation. Q seem to be pretty reliable. Didn't realize trying to turn on with a dead battery could break the camera. This is a design flaw, camera shouldn't try to do anything if the battery is too low. Good luck with #3.
Thanks,
barondla
I have found information, that the reason of fail of original Pentax Q could be a power supply IC BD9639MW 136 H59 Digital Camera Voltage Regulator ICRohm Semiconductor PDF - rohmfs.rohm.com

I bought one (about 6$), have disassembled camera to extract PCB for chip replacement. A pretty woman has replaced and mount new chip ( 1 chocolate bar). I assembled camera back but camera did not work.

---------- Post added 01-06-20 at 10:24 PM ----------