Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #1

Q series.

Hello all,

Ive been lurking in the forum again reading every bit of informatiom about the now discontinued q series.

I'll spare the details. But the summary is need a backup for my K1. Not another full size or large camera.

I'm looking at a mirrorless. Somthing smaller. I've got it narrowed down to either the Sony a6500 or Pentax q S1. I've already ruled out the k 01, due to size. Even though it would work with lenses.

Comparison shots from various sources seems to show the Pentax comparable even with a 14mp smaller sensor vs the 24mp 4/3.

I'm honestly torn. We are a Pentax family. Have always been. But with the q series being discontinued.

Is this worth it. Even though its now 3 years old. Or should I bite the bullet and look at another system?

I also can't seem to find information as to why they discontinued the series. Poor sales is my guess.

02-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a Sony a6000 (very similar in size to the 6500, (ASP-C, not 4/3 by the way). It is smaller than the KP, but not that much smaller, and besides the Sony's 20mm pancake, other lenses I had were smaller in circumference, but not in length. The Sonys are truly smaller in volume and weight, but in actual space used, not so much except for a few lenses.
02-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd skip the Q series & go straight for the Sony, mainly 'cause the Q system is pretty much dead at this point.

The m4/3 world has tons of small offerings too.
02-03-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the Q and it has its place in my line up. But if I was travelling with my K-3 I would far prefer to have something a little bigger as a backup. My preference (which I can't afford right now) would probably be the Panasonic GX85. The GX85 has a m4/3 sensor and interchangeable lenses. But something with a 1" sensor would probably be OK too. You really can't get away from the fact that bigger sensors give you more image to play with.

02-04-2020, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the Q but you will probably be happier with the A6000. The KP is the best small back up for the K-1. It uses all K mount lenses and is a very competent camera in all areas.
02-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q-S1 is a mild update of the Q7 that I own. I tend to think of mine not as a backup, per se, but rather an alternative or additional tool. If I don't want to carry a DSLR or it's inconvenient to do so, I'll use the Q7.

It works best for me as a general purpose kit based around the 01 prime, 02 and 06 zooms (covering ~ 24-210mm equivalent). Along with spare batteries, cards, odds and ends, this fits in a very small bag that can easily be carried all day. The three lenses I mention can be bought relatively inexpensively, especially used. There's the 08 wide zoom, too, but it's prohibitively expensive (in my opinion), given where the system is at now. There's a nice little fisheye, but unfortunately no macro lens. The official K-to-Q adapter allows K-mount lenses to be fitted and opens up some wonderful possibilities for macro and long tele applications due to the 4.7x crop factor, but adapted lenses require manual focusing - which isn't all that pleasurable due to the camera's lower resolution LCD screen. The official adapter is also expensive, but includes a leaf shutter and diaphragm control.

Image quality is very good considering the size of the sensor. Dynamic range is a bit limiting, but not so much as you'd expect... think early mainstream DSLRs. Noise kicks in earlier, and you're best off shooting raw to deal with that and get the most out of images generally (as with any camera, frankly). The short focal length lenses result in great depth of field even at wider apertures, which can be very useful (I sometimes use the Q7 rather than a DSLR if I want maximum depth of field). Consequently, though, it's not possible to achieve much in the way of subject separation, with what little is available being at very close range. Swings and roundabouts. The 01 prime and 06 zoom lenses are nicely sharp. The 02 is generally thought to be less sharp, but I find it captures plenty of detail - and just a small amount of sharpening in post-processing brings it alive.

The fact that it's a "dead" system doesn't particularly bother me. I guess over time the concern is that fewer and fewer bodies and lenses in great condition will be readily available, so if something dies, replacing it will gradually become more difficult. Plus, of course, we're never going to see a dedicated macro lens, which is a little sad. Still, as I said, I use my setup as a general purpose kit for the 24-210mm equivalent range.

That's a fairly lengthy way of saying that the Q-S1 could be a nice second system. A m4/3 or small APS-C mirrorless would be more versatile with lens choices and creative control, but if the Q-S1 covers your use-cases, you can live with the limited selection of native lenses, and you can get everything you need at a sensible price, it's a good option...
02-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The iso performance on the Q series will be drastically worse than the K-1.

Personally for a backup the KP seems perfect. However I use m43 and slower lenses as my secondary camera). I tend to get slow zooms and a few faster Primes that are tiny which works for my needs. The latest Olympus EM1 mk III looks really nice.

02-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I use the Q system as an expansion of my main camera
(KS-2 with DA Ltd 20-40 or K1 with D FA 28-105)
when I'm traveling or have limited space.

The basic kit is a pair of Q7 cameras,
one with the 06 tele and the other with the 08 wide angle zoom.

Normally, I use the bigger cameras when it's dark,
but the two-Q kit is good for casual walkaround on its own.

People who don't understand the Q system (that's almost everybody)
don't realize how the jello-beating leaf shutters
also let you shoot smoothly in low light at very low speeds,
compensating for the limitations of the 1/1.7 sensor.
QuoteOriginally posted by armi101 Quote
I also can't seem to find information as to why they discontinued the series. Poor sales is my guess.
Ricoh inherited the system from Hoya,
and with their marginal commitment to Pentax,
they weren't ready even to release the 09 macro,
just like they haven't renewed the 645 system.

The Q system got typecast into the "Japanese schoolgirl" market,
blinding all but a few to its fascinating capability of expanding the photographic space,
the way the original Leicas did almost 100 years ago.
02-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
Interesting stuff everyone. Thank you for the responses.

I stopped in at my local camera store today and got to play with a a few of the contenders.

Pentax Q S1 (used)
Sony a5000
Sony a6100
Fuji XT20.

Without doing a bunch of indepth analysis. The Pentax size can't be beat. It's simply tiny. Actually hard to imagine unless handling one.

The a5000 seemed like a good size, and the a6000 a little bigger. But also not bad.

The Fuji is the largest. But it had the best overall feel to me when using. It might be because I'm used to the K1.

Honestly. I'm torn. Certainly the newer cameras have more features. In real world pics I'm not sure I would be unhappy with any of the camera.

I'm strongly considering the Q7 now as the price is very low even with a lens, and it's apparently the same as the QS1.

Currently. I'm thinking QS1 for the low cost. If not...I'm not sure which of the others I liked the most.
02-05-2020, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love my Q-S1. It is a tiny but serious tool next to my K1, but no backup. Just when you don’t need the exeptional quality of a FF Cam, but want the freedom of a camera with interchangeable lenses, this cam is a lot of fun with stunning capabilities. You can carry a whole system from super wide angle to tele in the pokets of your jacket.
02-05-2020, 06:13 PM - 3 Likes   #11

Original Poster
Hello all,

So after watching every review I could. I picked up a QS1 with a 5-15 lens old stock for 180$ cdn. Basically I decided that for that price is take the gamble and see if it works for me.

Thanks for all the input.
02-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Enjoy!

The kit lens isn't the best in the range,
but it's fine at longer distances and shorter focal lengths.
02-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #13

Original Poster
I'm going to get the prime and telezoom, then maybe the fisheye. In that order. I've been taking some indoor snaps just playing and I like this camera. I also like that because of having several other pentax it's very familiar.

This will be fun.
02-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by armi101 Quote
Hello all,

So after watching every review I could. I picked up a QS1 with a 5-15 lens old stock for 180$ cdn. Basically I decided that for that price is take the gamble and see if it works for me.

Thanks for all the input.
Congratulations! That's a great price for a very capable kit I think you're going to have a lot of fun...
02-06-2020, 12:59 AM   #15
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't go wrong at that price.