Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 06:03 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
No, I think the B&H rep is genuinely trying to get Metabones to produce this,
but without a dozen or so orders, they're not going think it's worthwhile.

11-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The latest message from B&H: "still out of stock".
Why am I not surprised?
Same kind of answer today: 'We regret the item remains unavailable.' (they send one such message every second week.)
11-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick_B Quote
Just another "baiting" tactic?
I believe Metabones had B&H and Adorama do their 'marketing' for them.
I do not hold this against B&H and Adorama; they were duped at least as much as we were.
11-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #109
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe Metabones had B&H and Adorama do their 'marketing' for them.
I do not hold this against B&H and Adorama; they were duped at least as much as we were.
No-one's being duped.

"If enough people order this one,
Metabones may be motivated to actually produce it"
is what started this thread.

If there aren't enough customers,
Metabones would be foolish to waste money producing it.

11-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Same kind of answer today: 'We regret the item remains unavailable.' (they send one such message every second week.)
I continue to get a message from B&H.
It may be about time to do B&H a ‘favor’ and cancel my order for something Metabones obviously has no intention of actually producing.
11-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #111
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I continue to get a message from B&H.
It may be about time to do B&H a ‘favor’ and cancel my order for something Metabones obviously has no intention of actually producing.
Any intention they might have had must surely be slipping away over time as the number of Q-systems and users gradually reduces. Shame... it would have been a cool product; but with a limited market - a very small portion of an already-small user base If it had been designed a few years earlier, it could have been viable and reasonably profitable...
11-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Any intention they might have had must surely be slipping away over time as the number of Q-systems and users gradually reduces.
There will be a certain small number of definite orders that they will require to go ahead, but only when the current supply chain and other issues clear up. They already have the optics for the Nikon version, so it should take no more than a remount.

But if we Pentaxians quit now, it will never happen.

11-30-2021, 01:41 PM   #113
Pentaxian

There is no way this is ever happening. Maybe some other company will make a super cheap one if they haven't already.
11-30-2021, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #114
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There will be a certain small number of definite orders that they will require to go ahead, but only when the current supply chain and other issues clear up. They already have the optics for the Nikon version, so it should take no more than a remount.

But if we Pentaxians quit now, it will never happen.
Much as I love my Q and Q7 - and all my K-mount glass - I can't justify nearly five hundred bucks for something I'd not be using frequently... so if it does ever get released, I'll have to enjoy it vicariously through you and a few other forum members
11-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There is no way this is ever happening.
A dozen orders and lobbying by the B&H rep is how it happens. Three or four orders are not enough.
11-30-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll have to enjoy it vicariously through you and a few other forum members
Our enjoyment is only dreaming as of now, but you are very welcome!
11-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #117
Pentaxian

Doing it well required serious engineering - so Metabones showed the skill of their people by designing it.

Since both Adorama and B&H originally listed this thing, I believe Metabones had done all of the development long ago, but couldn't be bothered to produce it.
My view of the Metabones engineering is raised by this effort, but my view of the company in general has badly soured.

This thing should have been in my possession a year before the supply channel problems arose.
11-30-2021, 02:24 PM   #118
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Doing it well required serious engineering - so Metabones showed the skill of their people by designing it.

Since both Adorama and B&H originally listed this thing, I believe Metabones had done all of the development long ago, but couldn't be bothered to produce it.
My view of the Metabones engineering is raised by this effort, but my view of the company in general has badly soured.

This thing should have been in my possession a year before the supply channel problems arose.
I don't think it's the case that Metabones "couldn't be bothered to produce it", nor a matter of supply chain problems. I just don't think they've gone into production with it, probably for economic reasons - and that's assuming they even completed development and ironed out all the little issues (of which I'm sure there were / are several, as with any new product). I'm certain you're not the only one disappointed, but they're in business to make money, not lose it.
11-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #119
Pentaxian

I don't think it's the case that Metabones "couldn't be bothered to produce it", nor a matter of supply chain problems. I just don't think they've gone into production with it, probably for economic reasons - and that's if they've even completed development and ironed out all the little issues (of which I'm sure there were / are several, as with any new product). I'm certain you're not the only one disappointed, but they're in business to make money, not lose it.
Unless they come up with a really good explanation, they may have lost their chance to ever get any money from me .... but at B&H's advice, I will wait longer, I do trust them.

added: I believe they used Adorama and B&H to do market research for them; I have absolutely no confidence they will ever decide it is worth their effort to actually manufacture it.

Last edited by reh321; 11-30-2021 at 02:38 PM.
11-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #120
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless they come up with a really good explanation, they may have lost their chance to ever get any money from me .... but at B&H's advice, I will wait longer, I do trust them.
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape with Metabones. They had no contract with potential buyers... They simply haven't followed through with a product release, and there's undoubtedly good business reasons for that. It's no worse than (in fact, arguably not so bad as) a company like Ricoh ending development of a much-loved but niche product line like the Q-system. At least with Metabones you had no money invested in the product... just some hope