Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2020, 11:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to convince Ricoh to crowdfund the Q macro lens?

Ricoh is now crowdfunding two binocular projects in Japan using Makuake! "3 way" binocular and monocular projects - PentaxForums.com

So how do we get them to crowdfund the Q macro next? Any ideas? The Q community needs to promote this to Ricoh/Pentax. The macro is a finished product and shouldn't be hard to crowdfund. If enough people don't join, Ricoh doesn't have to waste money building the lens. The macro would be pre sold.

Thanks,
barondla

02-14-2020, 11:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Ricoh is a professional company. You can not order a lens even as a crowd. Companies have strategies to follow, developers are not working to external orders. For Ricoh it would be a waste of precious development time. If you can convince them that the Q system is alive and lenses cell like sliced bread, they could change their strategy, but... no.
02-15-2020, 04:04 AM - 2 Likes   #3
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
... and a Q-S2 with 16MP, better HighISO and a PopUp ViewFinder instead of the little Flash.
02-15-2020, 04:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue is generally Ricoh's support of the Q system. There has been no new camera for a long time (you could say it is dead), hence no new lens. Since there was a prototype macro lens made, it certainly would have seemed reasonable to put it out if they continued to make Qs.

Crowd funding won't change the fact that Ricoh has apparently decided that the Q is a dead end.

02-15-2020, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

To answer the question of the OP: Kimio Tanaka might be an appropriate messenger. Somebody would need to make him aware of the binocular Makuake project (I would suspect he isn't) and to suggest doing the same with the Pentax 09 Telephoto Macro.
02-15-2020, 04:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

... and what projects will be cancelled for the crowdfunded product ...
The mono/bino crowdfunding project basically raises awareness towards a new product idea. It is not sparked by the crowd boy paid for by it.

Last edited by zapp; 02-15-2020 at 04:37 AM.
02-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
... and what projects will be cancelled for the crowdfunded product ...
The mono/bino crowdfunding project basically raises awareness towards a new product idea. It is not sparked by the crowd boy paid for by it.
Doubt any projects would be canceled by bringing out the Q macro. Pentax had the other Q lenses built by another company. The lens is already designed. Pentax merely needs to place the order. With crowdfunding Pentax can set a certain number that have to be ordered for the lens to be produced. If there aren't enough people signed up, the lens is not manufactured.
If enough people sign up (pay ahead of time) Pentax has the money to pay the lens manufacturer. If Pentax sets the crowdfunding goal correctly, this is guaranteed profit. Why would a camera company in severe market conditions turn down guaranteed profit?

It's true the binocular project could be a big success and bring in a lot of money. It could also be the K-01 of binoculars and not profitable.

Thanks,
barondla

---------- Post added 02-15-20 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
To answer the question of the OP: Kimio Tanaka might be an appropriate messenger. Somebody would need to make him aware of the binocular Makuake project (I would suspect he isn't) and to suggest doing the same with the Pentax 09 Telephoto Macro.
Excellent idea. I remember reading some of his thoughts and predictions. Did some research and found his Twitter and a blog. Will look into this more when time permits. He just blogged a fascinating look at the construction of the 31, 43, and 77 Limited lenses. Down to why the finger pointer dot isn't green anymore. Highly recommended read.

Thanks Mistral75,
barondla

02-15-2020, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Having come very late to the Q-party I am finding the system very much to my liking. Partly, I guess, because I find it difficult to take my APSC stuff on a bicycle... It would be great if we could persuade the powers-that-be that there is a niche for the system, and start to support it once more.

K.
02-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The issue is generally Ricoh's support of the Q system. There has been no new camera for a long time (you could say it is dead), hence no new lens. Since there was a prototype macro lens made, it certainly would have seemed reasonable to put it out if they continued to make Qs.

Crowd funding won't change the fact that Ricoh has apparently decided that the Q is a dead end.
Not sure Ricoh has decided the Q is dead. Long after they stopped making the Q-SI, they let the macro prototype out into the wild. Even allowed a photographer use it and publish the results. Why do that if the Q was dead? I believe it's possible Ricoh is working on more pressing projects at the moment and may return to the Q at a later date. Being a niche product the Q can wait until its time.

Thanks,
barondla
02-15-2020, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

^ The photographer who tried and reported on the prototype of Pentax 09 Telephoto Macro is... Kimio Tanaka.
02-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Doubt any projects would be canceled by bringing out the Q macro. Pentax had the other Q lenses built by another company. The lens is already designed. Pentax merely needs to place the order. With crowdfunding Pentax can set a certain number that have to be ordered for the lens to be produced. If there aren't enough people signed up, the lens is not manufactured.
If enough people sign up (pay ahead of time) Pentax has the money to pay the lens manufacturer. If Pentax sets the crowdfunding goal correctly, this is guaranteed profit. Why would a camera company in severe market conditions turn down guaranteed profit?

It's true the binocular project could be a big success and bring in a lot of money. It could also be the K-01 of binoculars and not profitable.

Thanks,
barondla

---------- Post added 02-15-20 at 09:40 AM ----------

Excellent idea. I remember reading some of his thoughts and predictions. Did some research and found his Twitter and a blog. Will look into this more when time permits. He just blogged a fascinating look at the construction of the 31, 43, and 77 Limited lenses. Down to why the finger pointer dot isn't green anymore. Highly recommended read.

Thanks Mistral75,
barondla
Could you post a link to the Twitter article by Kimio Tanaka which you mention? I cannot find it.
02-15-2020, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Could you post a link to the Twitter article by Kimio Tanaka which you mention? I cannot find it.
田中希美男 (@thisistanaka) on Twitter

Photo of the Day
02-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks!
02-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I think practically, just get the K-mount adapter + out K-mount macro lens and be done with it.
The reason I think this way is that the CDAF is not going to work anyway (I've tried the 06 with close up adapter an AF is really sketchy).
02-24-2020, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #15
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is interesting, thanks barondla. When I have time I'll comment in Japanese to Pentax's tweet about this crowdfunding project as well as Tanaka's old tweet about 09 macro in a hope that they will notice.

BTW Pentax never "allowed a photographer use it and publish the results", Tanaka was very clear that he "borrowed it from a source abroad" (maybe the Q lens manufacturer Copal has a plant outside of Japan?) and published without Ricoh's knowledge.