Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

A Clearview that had Swiss compatible bottom built-in would be perfect for me.

11-16-2020, 11:25 PM - 2 Likes   #17
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
A Clearview that had Swiss compatible bottom built-in would be perfect for me.
One of my Q7 has a ClearViewer and the tiniest Arca-Swiss type plate. I had to file the bolt head so that it won't protrude, but it works well.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
11-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
One of my Q7 has a ClearViewer and the tiniest Arca-Swiss type plate. I had to file the bolt head so that it won't protrude, but it works well.
Cool assemblage. Not that you need it, but I think there are even smaller Arca Swiss plates.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
11-20-2020, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #19
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Cool assemblage. Not that you need it, but I think there are even smaller Arca Swiss plates.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
Thanks barondla.

There are plates with smaller footprint but it's only 5mm thick, thinner than any other plates I've used including low profile Peak Design plate. Actually that could be a bad thing if the knob of your clamp is big (see 1st picture), but in this case Clearviewer adds ~6mm, making the combined thickness almost the same as my other standard plates (2nd picture) and providing a relief for knobs.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XQ1  Photo 
12-18-2020, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #20
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Has anybody found something that will shade the Q series screens that will make them readable in sunlight, with or without a magnifier.

They are lovely and very capable cameras but the inability to read the screen in bright light is driving me further round the bend than I am already

Regards
I have a collapsible "Hoodman" that I carry around in my "Q" bag, but I also have this one I purchased via Amazon.
The actual device fits too high on the LCD, so I got a longer screw and then put several spacers on it as shown.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
12-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Clearviewer adds ~6mm, making the combined thickness almost the same as my other standard plates (2nd picture) and providing a relief for knobs.
I have some of those super slim arca plates already. You’ve sold me with your informative photos, will be investing in a glass lensed Clearviewer for my Q carry bag! Not inexpensive considering the international shipping costs. Treat myself for Christmas this year.

Last edited by 2old4toys; 12-19-2020 at 10:26 PM.
12-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #22
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
I have some of those super slim arca plates already. You’ve sold me with your informative photos, will be investing in a glass lensed Clearviewer for my Q carry bag! Not inexpensive considering the international shipping costs. Treat myself for Christmas this year.
The problem with "Clearview" is that I don't see them provided the shade requested in the title of this thread - but it is your money.
True shade requires physical presence, which requires space in the bag.

01-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I found these help and it is not much trouble to keep one fitted. They are available from several suppliers.

JJC Black 3 Inch Pop Up Camera LCD Hood for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Olympus Fuji | eBay

They are not as good as the big loupes but it is a trade off in size.
Just received my JJC 3" PopUp LCD hood! I hate that I hadn't ordered one long ago! It looks very nice, like it is actually part of the camera. Does not add bulk to the body. Very easy to open/close. The results are fantastic! I can now use my little Q outside! Highly recommended!
01-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #24
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just received my JJC 3" PopUp LCD hood!
It took you long enough!

I hope winter is not treating you too unkindly there, Carol.
Peter
01-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I sure didn't rush into this purchase, did I? But sure glad I finally caved and got it!

It's been a pretty mild winter, so far; fingers crossed!