Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2020, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Body Change from Q-S1 to Q Original

I wonder if it is possible to change the electronics from a Q-S1 body into a Q (original) body? Are there more differences than the design of the body? Would be great to have the better IQ of the Q-S1 in the nice magnesium body of the original Q. The screwholes, buttons and the other stuff seem to be in the same place on both bodies.
Did someone make this change already?

03-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Interesting idea, I'd be interested to know this too!
03-08-2020, 05:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I can find a Q10 cheap enough I might try this as I have a spare Q body left from repairing another one.

Here's some shots of the innards of a Q.

03-08-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
pid
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
If I can find a Q10 cheap enough I might try this as I have a spare Q body left from repairing another one.

Here's some shots of the innards of a Q.
Thank you for the pictures. Good to see, that it is possible to take the Q apart. But I would try to get at least a Q-7 or Q-S1, because of their bigger sensor and faster AF. Hope you find one and can do the change!
Please keep us informed.

In general I believe, that it should be possible, because the Q10 was only a little bit more than a body upgrade (or downgrade) and the Q-7 has the identical body of the Q-10 and the Q-S1 was only a designupgrade of the Q-7.

Last edited by pid; 03-08-2020 at 06:09 AM.
03-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #5

Interesting idea! Here are some more details on taking apart the original recipe Q.

Pentax Q disassembly and LCD repair – replacement operation. | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
03-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Thank you for the pictures. Good to see, that it is possible to take the Q apart. But I would try to get at least a Q-7 or Q-S1, because of their bigger sensor and faster AF. Hope you find one and can do the change!
Please keep us informed.

In general I believe, that it should be possible, because the Q10 was only a little bit more than a body upgrade (or downgrade) and the Q-7 has the identical body of the Q-10 and the Q-S1 was only a designupgrade of the Q-7.
Thanks pid, I was actually thinking of the larger sensor Q's and forgot that the Q10 wasn't one of them. A good job you reminded me before I go and buy one
03-09-2020, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
pid
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
Interesting idea! Here are some more details on taking apart the original recipe Q.

Pentax Q disassembly and LCD repair – replacement operation. | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
Thank you for those great Informations! ... “That’s one small step for a Pentaxian, one giant leap for Pentax Q.” ;-)

I can't wait to see when the first transplant will take place

03-09-2020, 02:24 AM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck with this but I suspect firstly the length of the Q-s1 is going to be an issue. Going from metal to plastic in the Q10 has obviously necessitated increasing the body exterior size for the same sensor size. But the Q-s1 is a further 3mm longer - presumably because of the bigger sensor. They wouldn't have made it bigger if they didn't have to.
Attached Images

03-09-2020, 02:28 AM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But the Q7 might be a better bet .
Attached Images

03-09-2020, 02:44 AM   #10
pid
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I really think, that the circuit Board and other electronics in the inside have the same size in all Q modells. But this is only a guess, due to the positions of the screws and buttons etc. They are identical!
03-09-2020, 03:13 AM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dunno -- but this is a look at that. Checked the pixel count of the two camera images and they seem to be in scale. Overlaid the red lines of the Q over the Qs1 centering on the E dial. The lens seems to be slightly offset. As well as the silly dial (the 1-4 button). A very silly button if you save to raw.!!
Attached Images

03-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #12
pid
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@Gub

I have both models and the screws and buttons are in the same place!

I believe the larger form of the plastic variants is only due to the stability and does not influence the inner components.

But whether the inner components are really interchangeable I can't say for sure, because I haven't opened both models. That is the reason why I am asking here if anyone has already tried it.

Last edited by pid; 03-09-2020 at 05:43 AM.
03-09-2020, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Be reconciled that you are probably the only one who had even considered, let alone actually attempted transferring all the contents of a working Q-S1 into the magnesium shell of the original Q. If you really want it, and you mention you have both a Q-S1 and a Q in your possession, then have faith in yourself! Do it. Share the results here for other interested parties (myself included) to follow.

@Gub

I believe the larger form of the plastic variants is only due to the stability and does not influence the inner components.

But whether the inner components are really interchangeable I can't say for sure, because I haven't opened both models. That is the reason why I am asking here if anyone has already tried it.

Last edited by 2old4toys; 03-09-2020 at 10:49 PM.
03-10-2020, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Gub

Even if the Q "modules" are the exact same size and all screw holes align, it might not work. Dealing with such small circuitry could cause another problem. There are likely changes to shielding and insulating the electronics. Pentax would have to be much more careful with the original Q metal body. It can't short out any of the electronics. The plastic bodies should be immune to this.

Thanks,
barondla