Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

Q Hot Shoe Size

Dear users of Pentax Forums,

first time poster and new member to this website,

I am having a bit of a meltdown.
As I haven't seen these specs posted anywhere on the internet, what size exactly is the hot shoe on the Pentax Q?
It isn't described anywhere nor discussed which led me to think I could simply mount a standard sized utility into it and it doesn't fit.

Does anyone have this info and could he or she reply to me?
Thanks!

Wishing y'all a wonderful day

05-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Pentax Q forum

---

Hello and welcome to the forums. The hotshoe on the Q cameras is exactly the same as for the DSLRs, both in size and functionality
05-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
Not Sure What To Make of This

Hello and thank you Mike,

then why can't I use said device that effortlessly slides into a Panasonic and a Canon mount on it?
05-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saladvolcano Quote
Hello and thank you Mike,

then why can't I use said device that effortlessly slides into a Panasonic and a Canon mount on it?
What accessory are you trying to fit and which dimension appears to be the problem? Like Mike says, the Q has a standard sized hot shoe.

05-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Search web for "camera hot shoe compatibility". e.g.:

camera hot shoe dimension - Google Search

http://https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/100131/is-flash-brand-x-com...camera-brand-y

There's quite a few variables among brands. Width is generally nominal at 18.55mm but length and thickness may vary.

Be VERY cautious regarding electrical compatibility and contacts.
05-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure the lock plate or screw is completely retracted on whatever you are trying to attach. I had the same issue with a flash and my K-5, swore it would not fit. Until I fully retracted the lock screw after which it worked perfectly. Don't ask how long it took me to figure that out.
05-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Make sure the lock plate or screw is completely retracted on whatever you are trying to attach. I had the same issue with a flash and my K-5, swore it would not fit. Until I fully retracted the lock screw after which it worked perfectly. Don't ask how long it took me to figure that out.
I have the same problem with a Mieke MK320. Why? Because the one I have has a shoe for a Sony not a Pentax. The contacts line up just fine when on my Sony. I cannot get it to even mount in the Pentax. The camera is saying, "No, no, wrong size."

05-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If the flash has a collar on it, loosen it up not just a bit, but make it completely slack. As you are loosening, it you might notice one of the pins slowly retracting. Some flashes have a locking pin that “can” otherwise snag when fitting on some hot shoes when mounting if not completely retracted beforehand.
05-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
If the flash has a collar on it, loosen it up not just a bit, but make it completely slack. As you are loosening, it you might notice one of the pins slowly retracting. Some flashes have a locking pin that “can” otherwise snag when fitting on some hot shoes when mounting if not completely retracted beforehand.
Thanks for the advice. It is not the case with this flash, however. The little flash in the Q-S1 will suffice for the near future. It is a great little camera. It has its limitations but they can get gotten around
05-25-2020, 11:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boojum Quote
Thanks for the advice. It is not the case with this flash, however. The little flash in the Q-S1 will suffice for the near future. It is a great little camera. It has its limitations but they can get gotten around

Ah for Sony they do have an odd hot shoe I hear.

As you are new, Check out the little Q20s for a little flash.

05-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Ah for Sony they do have an odd hot shoe I hear.

As you are new, Check out the little Q20s for a little flash.
Looks interesting. I will check it out. If I understand the Q camera its own flash will not work in conjunction with a hot shoe flash. Is this correct?

And, can I trigger multiple Q20 flashes from the one on-camera trigger?

Last edited by boojum; 05-26-2020 at 02:42 PM.
05-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boojum Quote
I have the same problem with a Mieke MK320. Why? Because the one I have has a shoe for a Sony not a Pentax. The contacts line up just fine when on my Sony. I cannot get it to even mount in the Pentax. The camera is saying, "No, no, wrong size."
Sony is the baddie here re flash accessories. Their hot shoe has the centre pin in a oddball off-centred location. Some Sony’s even have a funny digital connector at the leading edge of their hot shoe.

And the answer is yes, to the FlashQ being able to trigger multiple flashes in one pop. Handy dandy, though will not work on a Sony. They have a special one that is only for Sony’s. Mine works on all my Pentax, Canon and Olympus cams as they share the common centre pin on the hot shoe.