Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

HDR, or Not Quite as Bright as the Average Bear

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

There is a good chance that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. And this could be further proof. I am stumped with the HDR settings on the Q-S1. I have HDR-Auto, HDR-1 and HDR-2. What are the differences?

I am posting four photos, HDR Auto, HDR-1, HDR-2 and No HDR.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
05-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First off there isn't much dynamic range in the scene to begin with so the effect is minimal here. I believe HDR 1 gives a more natural look to the photo and HDR2 would give you a more surreal look. Try it out side in the daylight where you have some sky and landscape in the photo.
05-28-2020, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

The differences are in how much HDR (high dynamic range) processing gets applied at high-contrast edges. HDR Auto applies a low amount, HDR 1 a bit more, and HDR 2 way too much.

Look at the white wall visible through the hole in that black thing (just above image center). Notice how the 2nd and 3rd image show halos against the white wall. Some people like strong HDR effects because it gives the illusion of shaprness, but I feel it looks overprocessed and cartoon-like.

IMO, do additional tests of no HDR vs HDR Auto to see what you prefer. Some good high contrast HDR test cases include outdoor scenes with bright clouds plus some deep shade on the ground, and indoor photos that show some sunlight through a window.
05-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #4
Unregistered User

I prefer No HDR and the HDR auto pictures. HDR 1 and 2 are very dull by comparison. No HDR looks more natural, it does of course, as there are no tricks involved. Personally I leave HDR alone. An able photographer does not need it...

05-29-2020, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The differences are in how much HDR (high dynamic range) processing gets applied at high-contrast edges. HDR Auto applies a low amount, HDR 1 a bit more, and HDR 2 way too much.

Look at the white wall visible through the hole in that black thing (just above image center). Notice how the 2nd and 3rd image show halos against the white wall. Some people like strong HDR effects because it gives the illusion of shaprness, but I feel it looks overprocessed and cartoon-like.

IMO, do additional tests of no HDR vs HDR Auto to see what you prefer. Some good high contrast HDR test cases include outdoor scenes with bright clouds plus some deep shade on the ground, and indoor photos that show some sunlight through a window.
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I prefer No HDR and the HDR auto pictures. HDR 1 and 2 are very dull by comparison. No HDR looks more natural, it does of course, as there are no tricks involved. Personally I leave HDR alone. An able photographer does not need it...
I am with you guys that the HDR as exhibited in these photos makes the image worse not better. I find it useful on another camera but it just does not seem to work on this Q-S1. I will try it on some other scenes, and show them to you guys as punishment for being so helpful. OK, I will show them to you as a part of a continuing investigation of HDR on the Q-S1.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by boojum; 05-29-2020 at 07:45 PM.
05-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, four exterior shots, same sequence: HDR Auto, HDR-1, HDR-2, No HDR.

My take? Q-S1 HDR is not too useful for day-to-day work. Yes, the lens shade is visible at full wide-angle, 5mm. That's not good. (40.5mm Metal Screw-in Hood for Standard Lens "US seller" 662578166146 | eBay). Out US$5.50. I'll get a another different one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
05-31-2020, 08:11 AM   #7

These are all prime examples of scenes that do not need HDR processing. You need to find a scene where you have the sun in the frame and really deep shadows, for instance.