Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2020, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Q cage

Does anyone use a cage with their Q? I'm looking to use a monitor to aid with adjusting focus and would want to connect everything in a small package. There are lots of camera cages but most seem to big for the Q.

06-17-2020, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Cool! I don’t have a cage but interesting idea. Have you tried connecting your Q to monitor yet? Share if you have.

From memory, I had tried video out via HDMI and when you connect to the TV, it would trigger an autoswitch into the Q’s playback mode. A hinderance. I swear I had hit a glitch just once where the external monitor displayed an actual live feed from the sensor but have never been able to replicate it again since.

I don’t have the analog AV cable to test what happens with one of those to get a live feed out of the Q. There are monocle LCD displays for drone fliers that I imagine might be adapted to make a mini viewfinder for the Q if the AV-out works.

Anyone confirm my observations?

Last edited by 2old4toys; 06-18-2020 at 01:28 AM.
06-18-2020, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I think about going this path too. Manual focus with adapted lens is hard on Q. If I decide to proceed I would probably use L-plate as a base and build something on top of it. Here is an example of using L-plate (wooden pad added for convenience) with K adapter, 24mm Sigma, and Sorotama glass on q-7. Based on Q-7 manual external monitor is for playback mode. I am not sure if it can work for live focusing. If you make Q work with external monitor please share your experience.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 

Last edited by jumbleview; 06-18-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Doubt regarding live focusing through external monitor.
06-19-2020, 02:13 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Q's HDMI output only works for replay of already recorded images. It does not output a live view feed so cannot be used with an external monitor to aid focusing.

06-26-2020, 06:00 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JayWirth Quote
I'm looking to use a monitor to aid with adjusting focus
To satisfy my curiosity, I just picked up the AV cable today and have happily proven that a live video feed is available if you can make use of that.

07-13-2020, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JayWirth Quote
I'm looking to use a monitor to aid with adjusting focus and would want to connect everything in a small package.
How about this as a working proof of concept? Monitor can tilt upwards for low angle shots. Go for it.

05-31-2022, 06:27 PM   #7

Iphone as external monitor to Pentax Q

Hi 2old4toys, can you share with me a link or image to get the get the right cable?
I am trying to use an old Iphone 6s Plus to my Pentax Q7 and i am quite confused with the type of cables, i do have an Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter but don't know how to go from there, can you please give me a hand?
any advice on the app?

many thanks for your help

Edward

05-31-2022, 10:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edsmart Quote
Hi 2old4toys, can you share with me a link or image to get the get the right cable?
I am trying to use an old Iphone 6s Plus to my Pentax Q7 and i am quite confused with the type of cables, i do have an Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter but don't know how to go from there, can you please give me a hand?
any advice on the app?

many thanks for your help

Edward
Hi, 1st Ly you need something like this

amazon.com : PhotoHighQuality AV Video Cable, Compatible for Pentax I-AVC7, IAVC7, Q Black, Q White, Optio RZ18, RX18, WG-1, WG1, Wpi, : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Couple that with an AV -> USB capture dongle which works via OtG with Android phones/tablets to show live video. USBC Android would likely be ok with the right adaptor. However, have not seen any equivalent AV-input capture for iOS lightning devices. Not sure same can be said of the recent IPads that use USBC instead of lightning.

Hope this helps.