Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2020, 12:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
USB charger ?

The daughter lost her Q charger...Any of you guys recommend a suitable USB jobbie please :-)

08-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The daughter lost her Q charger...Any of you guys recommend a suitable USB jobbie please :-)
In Nov 2016 I went by train to San Diego CA so I could serve as our older daughter's co-driver when she moved back to Indiana for new employment. My being there made no sense if I traveled as usual, so I took only a backback and my Q-7. Preparing for that trip, I got a USB charger sold by "Kastar", since it could share the A/C block and AA-powered charging block used by my cellphone. It worked fine on that trip, but I have to admit that I have made little use of it since then, so I really cannot attest to its longevity.
Attached Images

08-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #3

Search for USB charger for Fuji NP-50 and you should find more options. Fuji used the same battery in lots of cameras.
08-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Search for USB charger for Fuji NP-50 and you should find more options. Fuji used the same battery in lots of cameras.
I should add that I purchased mine through eBay. Some members don't like them, but I have never had any problems.
Most sellers have everything indexed under "Pentax DLI-68" as well as under "Fuji NP-50" and under "Kodak KLIC-7004".

08-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank-you both for the guidance !
08-30-2020, 11:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I would offer the view that any third party USB charger be treated as a handy occasional travel-use item for when you have no other choice. They are inexpensive, lightweight, pack well, convenient... but IMO like fast food, I try to use it sparingly. I just wouldn’t trust USB as the one and only source for me to feed a good healthy charge to my Q batteries long term vs an original quality Pentax or Fuji A/C wall charger.

Try your best to find an original manufacturer wall socket charger and pickup a USB powered one too as a standby supplementary gadget.
08-31-2020, 06:59 AM   #7
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
I would offer the view that any third party USB charger be treated as a handy occasional travel-use item for when you have no other choice. They are inexpensive, lightweight, pack well, convenient... but IMO like fast food, I try to use it sparingly. I just wouldn’t trust USB as the one and only source for me to feed a good healthy charge to my Q batteries long term vs an original quality Pentax or Fuji A/C wall charger.

Try your best to find an original manufacturer wall socket charger and pickup a USB powered one too as a standby supplementary gadget.
Why wouldn’t you?

It could be built to same standards, but without A/C stuff - there is no inherent reason for it to be less durable; after all, cell phones have everything except A/C stuff built in, as apparently “K-3ii replacement” does.

08-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Point taken about mains charger thx.
I'm just trying to get her mobile after her k50 crapped out
she doesn't really like the Q ....don't know why I gave it to her !
03-03-2021, 11:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Promaster chargers have served me well for several years of full-sized Pentax battery charging. So I just bought one for my new QS-1 battery (Li68 I think). I expect it will also work forever.