Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2020, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Picked up a Q10

I have joined the Pentax mirrorless club by buying a nearly new in box Q10 with the 02 zoom lens. I figured for $80.00 it was worth a gamble. I have just started to play with it and I am quite impressed. I really like the fact I can shoot in Raw and do decent post editing on the images. It certainly will not replace my K-3, or my wife's K-70, but a tiny camera to take when I don't want to carry the larger one, but something more than my cell phone. I am keeping my eyes open for the 01 lens for even a smaller package. IT is too bad Pentax chose not to continue to support the line.

Jim Fellows

09-28-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They could at least have given us a fast zoom like the one on the MX-1...
09-28-2020, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The Q system is a lot of fun and I also picked up a Q10 on the cheap last year that I plan to use as the basis for a telecine scanner. The Q7 though is a major step up in image quality maybe look for the 01 attached to one of those.
09-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
The Q system is a lot of fun and I also picked up a Q10 on the cheap last year that I plan to use as the basis for a telecine scanner. The Q7 though is a major step up in image quality maybe look for the 01 attached to one of those.
I bought original Q in 2013 and sent it back: did not like images (not better than my point and shoot Panasonic). Bit in 2018 I accrued Q-7 from KEH (cheap ~ $140 body only). I liked it especially with 01. Now it is my main street camera.

09-28-2020, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #5

I have an original metal Q with 01 and 06 lenses. Still used regularly especially with the 01.
09-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I bought original Q in 2013 and sent it back
Funny thing is last year, I bought an old original Q and witnessed 1st hand how it was dog slow till I realised it never had a firmware update! My other fw updated Q is quite respectable in comparison. Sad to imagine all the unimpressed customers back at the launch date (especially for the launch cost)... so many gave mediocre reviews of the Q before fw fixes came.
Underrated.
09-29-2020, 04:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
I will have to check the firmware on mine and make sure it is unto date.

09-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote
I have joined the Pentax mirrorless club by buying a nearly new in box Q10 with the 02 zoom lens. I figured for $80.00 it was worth a gamble. I have just started to play with it and I am quite impressed. I really like the fact I can shoot in Raw and do decent post editing on the images. It certainly will not replace my K-3, or my wife's K-70, but a tiny camera to take when I don't want to carry the larger one, but something more than my cell phone. I am keeping my eyes open for the 01 lens for even a smaller package. IT is too bad Pentax chose not to continue to support the line.

Jim Fellows
I bought a Q-7, then got a 01 lens from a Japanese merchant, and a couple of extra batteries. You should consider an 06 lens also, because it greatly increases the utility of the whole thing. I also carry a collapsible viewer from Hoodman because it greatly increases my vision outdoors. I sometimes take it with me because it fits into a small bag; in November 2016, when I took several trains to San Diego, California, to serve as our daughter's co-driver as she came back to Indiana for a new job and much luggage would have been counter-productive, I even fit a small USB charger into the bag, since the camera could share a charging "block" with my phone.

09-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It's a fun camera. Soon you'll go down the adapted lens rabbit hole.
09-29-2020, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote

Jim Fellows
Welcome to the Q! All Q models are great cameras. They bring freedom to photography and are a joy to use. Q are also very addictive. Bought the original Q when it came out. Added a Q7 and all the lenses, except the Toy tele. Adapted lenses are a whole new frontier. Enjoy.

Thanks,
barondla
10-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #11

I also bought a Q10, exactly 2 years ago in Yokohama, when I decided to try to step up from being a enthusiastic flip phone picture taker to aspiring photographer. I got a Q10, with 01,02 and 03 lenses ($150 at Ohnuki Camera), and later bought the 06, 07 and 08 lenses too. But if I could only have 1 lens, it'd be the 02. Rugged, versatile, reliable. The main reason, besides compactness that I'm delighted with my choice of a Q10 is that its DSLR-level controls allow me to progress towards the photographer I want to become. It'll keep me happy, occupied and challenged, for years. I know it. Have fun with yours!
11-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm dreaming of a silver Q7!
11-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #13

I've always enjoyed my little red Q10...I have adapters for Olympus, Pentax and Pentax110 lenses...fun little camera.
11-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to pick up the purple Evangelion Q10, but I just can't justify that price difference. I've been looking at Qs that have been bundled with the 01 lens as I know that lens can be difficult to find on its own. But I instead bought a K-5 iis as an upgrade for my K-7. I hope to one day get a Q for use in those places that won't let you take "professional" cameras but have no qualms about the tiny Q.
11-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #15

Turned on the "Brilliant Color" option on my Q10 (it doesn't seem to be on the other Q-series models). Went out with my 01 attached. The results blew me away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo