Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Q card access lamp??

I formatted my card, and now no photos can be taken, and the card access lamp comes on when I try. I've tried another card, same thing. What has happened?

11-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

How are you formatting the card, Carol? If you're doing it in the computer, are you ejecting it in the operating system before removing it from the computer's SD card slot or adapter?

I'd recommend re-formatting the card using the SD Association's Memeory Card Formatter utility, here:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
11-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've always formatted my cards in camera. Never a problem until now. Of course I'm surmissing formatting might have had something to do with it, and may not, since I tried a different card.
11-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just checking the obvious but you didn't slide the lock switch by accident?

11-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just checked; no. Also I had tried another card in the camera.

I'm sure hoping the camera is not done, as I use it a lot!

Edit: Another strange thing I had not noticed before, and may give a clue to the problem; at the bottom of the screen now are distances, 99 ft, 59 inches These do not change as I focus on different areas of the house.
11-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just checked; no. Also I had tried another card in the camera.

I'm sure hoping the camera is not done, as I use it a lot!

Edit: Another strange thing I had not noticed before, and may give a clue to the problem; at the bottom of the screen now are distances, 99 ft, 59 inches These do not change as I focus on different areas of the house.
How odd

Out of curiosity, are the camera and lens focusing properly? Can you take a shot? Have you tried fitting a different lens?
11-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The shutter release will not work. It shows it's focusing, but shutter release not working. Tried another lens, same thing. That distance 99' 59" shows on the LCD with different lens also.

11-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it in video mode? I'm thinking 99' 59" isn't distance, but recording time remaining in minutes and seconds. Double check what mode you're in, perhaps?
11-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Is it in video mode? I'm thinking 99' 59" isn't distance, but recording time remaining in minutes and seconds. Double check what mode you're in, perhaps?
Just checked my Q now as it was on the table next to me, and the only way I can get a XX' XX" field to show at the bottom of the screen is when in Movie mode - which is actually a recoding time like you say. So I suspect the OP's Q is indeed in Movie mode.
11-01-2020, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Duh! It was in video mode. I must have accidentally turned the dial; I never have used video mode; so didn't even think to check that!

Thank you for saving me frustration over a simple error! Wow!
11-01-2020, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
May I say, this site is invaluable for the help we receive here, for problems, questions, etc.
11-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Duh! It was in video mode. I must have accidentally turned the dial; I never have used video mode; so didn't even think to check that!

Thank you for saving me frustration over a simple error! Wow!
My pleasure, Carol. I'm glad that's all it was
11-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am also glad, as I do use this little Q a lot! It would certainly be missed if it was to end up not working.

Again, thank you for figuring it out! I will be more careful of the dials, in the future! Strange thing; that dial is not easy to move accidentally!

I do plan in the future to get a Q7 or Q10, just in case; but just haven't seen my way clear to buy one yet.