Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It totally depends on your preferences.

I got my Q-7 for birding, having been inspired by the good photos taken by others with Canon SX-50 cameras, and it still serves me well for various other purposes.
Adding a Hoodman-type loope and a monopod, I was able to focus on distant birds, but I would like this arrangement so much more if it would AF.
It would not need a screw-drive motor, but enabling use of KAF3 and KAF4 lenses would have been so much better than the adapter that Pentax did sell.
Well, my post was actually referring to the typical user, not the person that doesn't mind cobbling together a rig that doesn't even AF :S

11-11-2020, 11:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I'm seriously looking at a Q, among others, for hiking. It's getting harder and harder to carry a 3lb+ camera and lens.
What about something like a Panasonic FZ1000?
11-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Funny thing… I got a FZ1000 on closeout and intended to use it as a replacement for my Q7 as a car-and-travel cam. It's large but not heavy (plastic fantastic!), and there is no lens swapping. It's versatile and fits in one modest-sized bag that I can grab any time.
11-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Funny thing… I got a FZ1000 on closeout and intended to use it as a replacement for my Q7 as a car-and-travel cam.
I use my Q-7 for that purpose; plenty of room for my Q-7+01, 02, 06 lenses, my collapsible Hoodman, spare batteries, and usb charger.

I even took it to San Diego CA four years ago when I served as my daughter's co-driver coming back here and I had to save space if I was to be of any use to her.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
11-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use my Q-7 for that purpose; plenty of room for my Q-7+01, 02, 06 lenses, my collapsible Hoodman, spare batteries, and usb charger.

I even took it to San Diego CA four years ago when I served as my daughter's co-driver coming back here and I had to save space if I was to be of any use to her.
Well, that's how I used my Q7. I have the Premium Kit with the special bag, which holds the body and 01, 02, 03, 06 and 08 lenses in a very compact space. Plus there's the pocket in back for a spare battery, close-up lens and polarizing filter. And it's been good. I could grab it and go anytime and be ready for nearly anything. I could use it as a travel camera today and not feel like I was hobbled. However…

It can't keep up with something like the FZ1000, which fits into a bag not that much bigger, requires no lens swapping, has an EVF for use on bright days, fully articulated screen and (most importantly) produces better image quality. There's a feeling of empowerment when walking around with a superzoom camera like this and being able to get the shot — any shot, practically — at a moment's notice. I guess the biggest disadvantage is that the Panasonic looks like an oversized DSLR, and everybody who sees me with it knows I am definitely there to take pictures. It's no stealth cam.
11-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Well, that's how I used my Q7. I have the Premium Kit with the special bag, which holds the body and 01, 02, 03, 06 and 08 lenses in a very compact space. Plus there's the pocket in back for a spare battery, close-up lens and polarizing filter. And it's been good. I could grab it and go anytime and be ready for nearly anything. I could use it as a travel camera today and not feel like I was hobbled. However…

It can't keep up with something like the FZ1000, which fits into a bag not that much bigger, requires no lens swapping, has an EVF for use on bright days, fully articulated screen and (most importantly) produces better image quality. There's a feeling of empowerment when walking around with a superzoom camera like this and being able to get the shot — any shot, practically — at a moment's notice. I guess the biggest disadvantage is that the Panasonic looks like an oversized DSLR, and everybody who sees me with it knows I am definitely there to take pictures. It's no stealth cam.
My yellow Q-7 certainly is not stealthy, nor do I pretend it is.
On our trip West, we went through Raton tunnel, the highest point on the old Santa Fe rail line. I was in the last car, and noticed that the window in a rear door gave a good view - so I stood by it, intending to take a photo of the rear portal, since this rail line is the only way to get to that point {OK, I suppose one could rent a helicopter, ...}. A gentleman with a Nikon DSLR was a real gentleman, taking a photo from inside the tunnel, then stepping aside so I could take mine. The courtesy he showed was one of the highlights of my trip. I was so glad to have a real, adjustable camera with me on that trip!
11-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My yellow Q-7 certainly is not stealthy, nor do I pretend it is.
The Premium Kit came with a black Q7 and matching black 01 and 02 lenses, and the black metal lens hood for the 01. With the 01 lens on this camera, it's kind of magical.

11-23-2020, 12:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think those kinds of cameras have quietly become very competitive. And, just by the by, I think the suggestion to add the 16-300 and/or 18-400 lenses to Pentaxland will keep coming.