Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2020, 05:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
All my {photographic} life, I have held my breath before taking a picture because I leaned many years ago that my breath could cause problems.
Wow! Are you a pearl diver? You can hold your breath while you recognize the immediate photo op, compose it, make the necessary camera adjustments, give words of encouragement or request to your subjects, and shoot however many frames it takes? All the things we do while using the viewfinder. I am impressed!

11-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Wow! Are you a pearl diver? You can hold your breath while you recognize the immediate photo op, compose it, make the necessary camera adjustments, give words of encouragement or request to your subjects, and shoot however many frames it takes? All the things we do while using the viewfinder. I am impressed!
No, I think about composition before I ever lift the camera to my eye.
Once I do it, I take just a few seconds to zoom to the framing I want, adjust the three e-dials that control the 'exposure triangle', and press the shutter button.
It gets cold here in the Winter, so I am used to not wasting any time.
11-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #33
Pentaxian

It gets cold here in the Winter
Our buildings are heated.
11-30-2020, 02:06 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The sales problem with the Q-line always included view in sunlit scenes.
With a compact Hoodman, I manually focus my Q-7 just fine.
Resurrecting the line without a viewfinder would be a waste of we
I use this excellent product:
ClearView Product page

11-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Our buildings are heated.
I'm talking about taking pictures outside.
11-30-2020, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I use this excellent product:
ClearView Product page
My last line remains true in any case:
Resurrecting the line without a viewfinder would be a waste of time
03-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They will need to increase the flange focal distance to accommodate the mirror. I.e. abandon the Q mount.
Even if an optical viewfinder would be specially constructed to fit with the flange focal distance and the Sensor would flipto the side, the image of the viewfinder would be tiny.

03-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Even if an optical viewfinder would be specially constructed to fit with the flange focal distance and the Sensor would flipto the side, the image of the viewfinder would be tiny.
I'm not sure that would be true if they would use the technology developed for the K-3iii - and my Canon Elph had a truly small viewfinder image - every sign tells us that Pentax has already given upon the Q-mount, but it is an interesting 'thought experiment'.
10-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
It’s good to have a mirrorless mount , it has its fans.
And Pentax's only true mirrorless mount, since the K-01 has a big chunk of metal on the mount.
10-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by n3eg Quote
And Pentax's only true mirrorless mount, since the K-01 has a big chunk of metal on the mount.
More importantly, having leaf shutter built into lenses makes it very quiet.
10-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by n3eg Quote
This did allow for interesting opportunities in lens design though. Could have had specific lenses where the element goes deep into the body.
10-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The Q has one of the shortest register mount distances of any interchangeable lens camera. I've always thought of it, and other mirrorless cameras, as being like a rangefinder camera. In actuality, the Q has a fairly long register distance of 9.2mm for its 6.16 x 4.62 sensor size. This is caused by the guard in front of the sensor.

What if Pentax makes the next Q a DSLR? That would supply the viewfinder so many want. It would also reinforce Pentax's commitment to make slr camera's. The mirrorless crowd would go crazy!

Thanks,
barondla
I think it would have to be mirrorless. That way, present Q owners are a potential market.
It won't happen, but other than the lack of a viewfinder, the Q was a cool little camera.
What I could never get over with the Q was the lack of a viewfinder. I have the clip on one for the standard lens. I use it from time to time on my Fuji so I don't have to use the viewfinder
10-12-2021, 05:54 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I think it would have to be mirrorless. That way, present Q owners are a potential market.
It won't happen, but other than the lack of a viewfinder, the Q was a cool little camera.
What I could never get over with the Q was the lack of a viewfinder. I have the clip on one for the standard lens. I use it from time to time on my Fuji so I don't have to use the viewfinder
After some thought, I agree that DSLR would be a mistake for a future “Q”, in my case because they would be giving up one of their advantages - their whisper quiet leaf shutters. I would love having a viewfinder - for outdoors work - but I doubt if it will happen, and I have become used to it’s being ‘missing’ for indoors work. This has been an interesting - but futile - “thought exercise”. Ricoh has already decided “MILC isn’t us” ….. and they don’t have any ‘extra’ resources - so they won’t revisit that decision.