Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2021, 11:51 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax QPan

A while back I admired some photos from the cult favorite Hasselblad XPan, which is a panoramic rangefinder camera that shoots a 35mm film frame almost double the standard width. Those cameras have become super expensive, though! So, I wondered about mimicking that look with a digital camera. And instead of using a camera much more suited to the purpose, I somehow ended up doing this to my Q7:

Things I learnedÖ Sharpie ink will not stick to a bare LCD screen. You have to put on pieces of Scotch tape first and then draw the markings on that. I assumed at first that the 08 wide zoom would be the obvious choice for panoramic shooting, but I ended up getting some good ones from the 06 telephoto. I also learned that composing and framing shots with this aspect ratio is very much a challenge. In all, though, it was a fun exercise.

02-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Who needs a Hassy?

Horizont - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

The Lomography Sprocket Rocket is even cheaper...
02-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

or a Fuji TX-1....
02-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So the ratio is 72x24? 6:2?

02-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
65x24. The Horizon is 58x24...
02-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the Fotoman is close to it, and could be masked to whatever you want. Natively it is about 2:1 and covers (I believe)120 degrees horizontally.

I forgot to add this means you need the 03 fisheye. And if you don't like fisheye images, but don't want to lose much of the image, then Fisheye Hemi software.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by dms; 02-10-2021 at 03:35 PM.
02-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Itís 65◊24 if you want to be authentic to the XPan. Actually, I processed those photos using RawTherapee, which has this in its list of aspect ratio presets. Itís listed as ď24:65 - XPANĒ just to make sure you wonít miss it. Itís just slightly taller than a 3:1 panorama.

---------- Post added 02-10-21 at 06:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Who needs a Hassy?

Horizont - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

The Lomography Sprocket Rocket is even cheaper...
I have a Sprocket Rocket and love it, though I donít use it often. IMHO itís the most fun to be had with a plastic toy camera. However. . . About the only things it has in common with the XPan are "panorama" and "film". In every other way they couldnít be more different.
02-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I have a Sprocket Rocket and love it, though I don’t use it often. IMHO it’s the most fun to be had with a plastic toy camera. However. . . About the only things it has in common with the XPan are "panorama" and "film". In every other way they couldn’t be more different.
But I always think about articles like this...

Hasselblad Xpan-ii - A personal review - The dream that didn't come true - 35mmc

Lomography Sprocket Rocket review - Kosmo Foto

And Pentax built Pano mode into SLRs in the 80s & 90s...

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-10-2021 at 06:13 PM.
02-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And Pentax built Pano mode into SLRs in the 80s & 90s...
My MZ-3 has that mode. But it does simply crop down the 35mm film frame leaving blank bars above and below the image. So instead of using twice as much film (in the XPan), you are using half as much. It's of dubious value. (But then so is what I did with my Q7, I guess!)

I have to point out in all fairness. . . If I really, seriously, want to shoot high quality XPan style panorams, I'll reach for my Sony A7R II every time. It's the boring-but-practical alternative. It has a 6x4 square grid overlay that I can turn on, in the EVF or the rear screen. I can use the middle rows of squares as my guides to compose a 6x2 aspect ratio frame, which is close enough. And of course, I could also do the scotch tape and sharpie trick on the rear screen, if I'm so inclined. After the XPAN crop I still have a massive 7968◊2887 pixel file.

Last edited by Tony Belding; 02-10-2021 at 06:50 PM.
02-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
A while back I admired some photos from the cult favorite Hasselblad XPan, which is a panoramic rangefinder camera that shoots a 35mm film frame almost double the standard width. Those cameras have become super expensive, though! So, I wondered about mimicking that look with a digital camera. And instead of using a camera much more suited to the purpose, I somehow ended up doing this to my Q7:

Things I learned… Sharpie ink will not stick to a bare LCD screen. You have to put on pieces of Scotch tape first and then draw the markings on that. I assumed at first that the 08 wide zoom would be the obvious choice for panoramic shooting, but I ended up getting some good ones from the 06 telephoto. I also learned that composing and framing shots with this aspect ratio is very much a challenge. In all, though, it was a fun exercise.
Cool idea and shots. I remember when Kodak brought out the disposable panoramic cameras preloaded with film. It really got Joe Public shooting panos. Xpan type images can be shot with a Pentax 6x7. There are 35mm film adapters that fit in the film chambers. Never tried it.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla