Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #1

Shutter count reset??

It's always been my understanding that a firmware update won't reset the shutter count on most cameras including the Q. But I've just done two newly acquired Q's and one of them shows up on more than one shutter count site with a reading of just 1. I know they were both lightly used but not that little. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

02-26-2021, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thwyllo Quote
It's always been my understanding that a firmware update won't reset the shutter count on most cameras including the Q. But I've just done two newly acquired Q's and one of them shows up on more than one shutter count site with a reading of just 1. I know they were both lightly used but not that little. Anyone else experienced anything similar?
What shutter ?
02-26-2021, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always understood the shutter in my Pentax Q was in the individual lenses and there was no shutter in the body. The shutter function for non-native Q lenses is performed in software.
02-27-2021, 12:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
I always understood the shutter in my Pentax Q was in the individual lenses and there was no shutter in the body. The shutter function for non-native Q lenses is performed in software.
Actually it's a good point...the body has an electronic shutter while SOME of the available lenses have built in mechanical shutters, so it can use either, but I wonder what a shutter count on this camera is looking at? One or the other or both?

I might try uploading jpegs taken with different lenses (8mm Toy and Standard Prime for example) and see if the result differs. But it does mean that if you're one of those people like me that likes to know how much of a hammering your second hand purchase has taken, it's not straightforward with this camera on the basis of what I've seen so far.

---------- Post added 02-27-21 at 12:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
Of course the answer is right there but because I'm usually a DSLR user as opposed to mirrorless the bleeding obvious hadn't occurred to me!

On a DSLR, shutter count is important (at least if you're buying second hand kit) because it's usually mechanical so it has a bearing on the life of the camera. But on the baby Q the electronic shutter simply turns the sensor on and off so obviously there's nothing to wear, and in fact it's the lenses equipped with mechanical shutters that take the hammering and, one assumes, must have a finite life just like a mechanical shuttered camera body. Oh well, I'll get my coat.... 🤣