Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2021, 05:34 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Ricoh !

Lucky such a great company bought Pentax :-)

Thought I'd better fly their flag

03-28-2021, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed!! Great company
03-29-2021, 12:52 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes - I'm sure we'd have all wanted a greater frequency of product releases, but the quality of their releases and the direction of travel, I have no argument with - nor the fact that they seem to honour the brand and want to make it respected. We live in an uncertain world and none of us knows what the future holds, but for What Ricoh has done for Pentax to date, I'm with you

Last edited by ffking; 03-29-2021 at 01:49 AM. Reason: reluctance of keyboard to register taps on the w key
03-29-2021, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Yes - I'm sure we'd have all wanted a greater frequency of product releases, but the quality of their releases and the direction of travel, I have no argument with - nor the fact that they seem to honour the brand and want to make it respected. We live in an uncertain world and none of us knows what the future holds, but for hat Ricoh has done for Pentax to date, I'm with you
Likewise with direction of travel.

Quality stills and a passion for the photographic experience seems to prevail with them. That's good by me.

I rather like the idea of their more eccentric approach to marketing too. By not throwing excessive cash to reach the mainstream, but by creating a quality, niche at an "affordable" ( c/f Leica etc.) is wise, I think, in this crowded and diminishing market.

Last edited by BarryE; 03-29-2021 at 01:57 AM.
03-29-2021, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree. They deserve a lot more credit than they're usually getting. Pentax could have easily been on a Samsung (as a photo brand) or Olympus trajectory by now, which it isn't, and I'm deeply grateful for that. Unlike Hoya, who mainly bought the Pentax Corporation to strip it for its medical optics branch, Ricoh takes a genuine interest in trying to make Pentax survive as a premium (if niche) photo brand, it would seem. Maybe it has helped that they are an imaging company and a camera manufacturer themselves.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 03-29-2021 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Thought added.
03-29-2021, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been happily surprised by Ricoh's dedication to the brand and what seems to be a real love and appreciation of photography and what Pentax means to it, and especially I think, an appreciation of it historically. I also feel like Ricoh's past cameras using the K mount makes them a natural caretaker of the legacy. As I look around at the landscape, I can't think of another company at this point in time that would give me a greater confidence in Pentax's survival.