Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with 01 prime lens

I have two lenses for my Q7, both of which I have used a lot, and both of which have, until now, performed superbly. An 01 prime lens - and an 03 fish-eye. But recently, my 01 has manifested an array of bizarre problems ---

It won't focus at all in any AF mode.

In MF mode, I can turn the lens's focus ring endlessly, but on the rear screen, the focus doesn't seem to change at all.

While the 01 is on the camera, pressing down on the shutter button doesn't work - nothing happens - but then, after a lag of maybe 1 or 2 seconds, the camera takes a picture.

My first thought was - and still is - that somehow the contacts on the back of the lens had gotten dirty or needed cleaning. I also wondered whether or not the contacts in the camera might also need cleaning. But when I switched lenses and mounted the 03 fish-eye lens - it works perfectly - that is, pressing the shutter immediately takes the picture (as it should). Since the 03 is a manual-focus lens only (with a tiny lever on top of the lens for guesstimating focus zones), there is no AF on it. But, as I said, the 03 fish-eye works perfectly - but when I put the 01 prime back on, it doesn't work---

Which makes me think it must be the contacts on the lens.

So... I carefully cleaned the lens contacts off with isopropyl alcohol.
But - it didn't do anything. It still doesn't work.

My next thought was: perhaps there is a better (more dedicated) electronic cleaner to use here. I read on a post in this forum that someone with a similar problem had used 'Deoxit' (a dedicated and relatively pricey electronics cleaner) successfully - so I'm going to try to get some Deoxit and see if that works. I'll report back once I have gotten some.

But, in the interim period - do any Q7 or Q owners have any other ideas that might be helpful?
I'd hate to think that the lens has suddenly become totally non-operational - that would be a real nightmare.

Anyone...?

04-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #2

I was updating all the firmware on my camera's over the weekend (I truly live the dullest life) and I did notice that there is a firmware up date for both the 01 and 02 lenses. I don't know if this will help or cause a bigger issue if the lens has bad connections. Maybe setting the camera back to default wit the lens on it.

Good luck,

Jim Fellows
04-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #3

I learnt something a while back which may help - in debug mode there are deep settings for autofocus tune, which can possibly allow you get the camera to nail focus. I do not however, know how to enter it or what to do there, maybe some more experienced members can help.
04-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote
I have two lenses for my Q7, both of which I have used a lot, and both of which have, until now, performed superbly. An 01 prime lens - and an 03 fish-eye. But recently, my 01 has manifested an array of bizarre problems ---

In MF mode, I can turn the lens's focus ring endlessly, but on the rear screen, the focus doesn't seem to change at all.

While the 01 is on the camera, pressing down on the shutter button doesn't work - nothing happens - but then, after a lag of maybe 1 or 2 seconds, the camera takes a picture.

My first thought was - and still is - that somehow the contacts on the back of the lens had gotten dirty or needed cleaning. I also wondered whether or not the contacts in the camera might also need cleaning. But when I switched lenses and mounted the 03 fish-eye lens - it works perfectly - that is, pressing the shutter immediately takes the picture (as it should). Since the 03 is a manual-focus lens only (with a tiny lever on top of the lens for guesstimating focus zones), there is no AF on it. But, as I said, the 03 fish-eye works perfectly - but when I put the 01 prime back on, it doesn't work---

My next thought was: perhaps there is a better (more dedicated) electronic cleaner to use here. I read on a post in this forum that someone with a similar problem had used 'Deoxit' (a dedicated and relatively pricey electronics cleaner) successfully - so I'm going to try to get some Deoxit and see if that works. I'll report back once I have gotten some.

But, in the interim period - do any Q7 or Q owners have any other ideas that might be helpful?
I'd hate to think that the lens has suddenly become totally non-operational - that would be a real nightmare.

Anyone...?
Bummer. Cleaning the contacts is the first thing to try. Also make sure the lens is completely seating on the camera. A slight mismatch would cause the body and lens contacts to "miss" each other.

Make sure the camera isn't in any weird settings that would affect af. Things like timer, wireless remote, etc. I would do a factory reset to return the Q to normal.

Unfortunately there is more to the lens af system than electrical contacts. There are electronics on a circuit board, behind the plastic lens mount. There is also the af motor. Q use focus by wire on af lenses. If the motor is inactive the lens can't manual focus.

Deoxit is great. Use the absolute least amount possible. A very fine film at most.

Good luck,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 04-19-2021 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Auto correct killed Deoxit spelling
04-19-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote
I was updating all the firmware on my camera's over the weekend (I truly live the dullest life) and I did notice that there is a firmware up date for both the 01 and 02 lenses. I don't know if this will help or cause a bigger issue if the lens has bad connections. Maybe setting the camera back to default wit the lens on it.

Good luck,

Jim Fellows
Hey, Jim, thanks for the suggestion but I'm pretty certain it's not a firmware problem. The lens worked fine before this suddenly happened (which seems to suggest the firmware was fine) - and now, literally, it doesn't work at all. It's either some fatal internal problem (I shudder to think) - or, most likely, if I'm lucky, possible really getting the lens contacts cleaned.

Incidentally, in the 'wrench' Menu, there is a setting to check 'Firmware Info' - but right now, it only reveals the Q7 camera body firmware, and there is NO option whatsoever for checking the lens firmware - I suspect this is because the lens isn't making contact with the camera at all (because of the 'contacts' not working). If (and hopefully when) I do get the lens working again, then I'm hoping the lens's firmware info will show up as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
I learnt something a while back which may help - in debug mode there are deep settings for autofocus tune, which can possibly allow you get the camera to nail focus. I do not however, know how to enter it or what to do there, maybe some more experienced members can help.
Hey, brainwave - thanks for the suggestion - I've already gone through pretty much every possible setting for any kind of focus tuning - not just autofocus but manual as well - with zero results. To repeat the problem: it isn't just the AF which isn't working at all (in any of its multiple menu iterations) - the MF or manual focus isn't working either, at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Bummer. Cleaning the contacts is the first thing to try. Also make sure the lens is completely seating on the camera. A slight mismatch would cause the body and lens contacts to "miss" each other.

Make sure the camera isn't in any weird settings that would affect af. Things like timer, wireless remote, etc. I would do a factory reset to return the Q to normal.

Unfortunately there is more to the lens af system than electrical contacts. There are electronics on a circuit board, behind the plastic lens mount. There is also the af motor. Q use focus by wire on af lenses. If the motor is inactive the lens can't manual focus.

Deposit is great. Use the absolute least amount possible. A very fine film at most.

Good luck,
barondla
Hey, barondla! Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions!
I've ordered some DeoxIT (none of the local hardware stores carry it) but should have it in a few days - and hopefully it will be more eficacious than the isopropyl alcohol (which, alas, didn't work at all). I've been making very sure that the lens is 'seated' correctly when I attach or mount it, so I doubt there could be any issues there. I thought about the self-timer and the wireless remote (and all those other weird settings, too) - they were some of the first things I checked, but none of them were or have been activated, so they can all be ruled out.

I'll report back once I receive the DeoxIT - and thanks again for the tip about only using a fine film.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed (gulp)
04-19-2021, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone...?
Hi Miguel,

Probably it was my post that you read (06 and 01 lens focusing problem (or is it my Q7?) - PentaxForums.com). In my case, it just started with 06 and 01, but eventually 02 and 08 were affected too. At that point, I couldn't even select AF from INFO screen.

I hope that deoxit will do it for you too. Good luck!
04-22-2021, 08:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unfortunately, the DeoxIT doesn't work at all - it had zero effect on cleaning the 01 prime lens's contacts.
Just to be perfectly clear, not only does the lens not focus - either AF or, apparently MF - but it also 'misbehaves' in a number of other ways. Including: when the 01 prime is mounted, and I attempt to take a photo, even an out-of-focus one, the camera's shutter does not work most of the time. Then, occasinally, randomly, it will work - but usually between 1 or a few seconds after pressing the shutter. (And NO, it's not accidentally set to any Self-Timer function when this is happening.) Occasionally the camera simply will not function when the 01 lens is mounted - none of the buttons work, including the on-off power button. In fact, once or twice, I've had to remove the battery to turn the Q7 off with the 01 prime mounted.

But the problem is not in the camera body - because my other lens - the 03 fish-eye - works perfectly with the camera. Not only does the lens work well - but when it is mounted, all camera functions work perfectly.

I'm forced to conclude that, for reasons that may be impossible to determine, this 01 Prime lens has simply become a weirdly malfunctioning 'brick' - which is a real shame, since, to date, it had given me a number of outstanding shots and images.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. (Hope springs eternal in the Q-owner's mind and heart!)

04-22-2021, 09:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Electronics is impressive when it works, but reliability is the weak point of sophisticated automation.
05-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, the DeoxIT doesn't work at all - it had zero effect on cleaning the 01 prime lens's contacts.
Just to be perfectly clear, not only does the lens not focus - either AF or, apparently MF - but it also 'misbehaves' in a number of other ways. Including: when the 01 prime is mounted, and I attempt to take a photo, even an out-of-focus one, the camera's shutter does not work most of the time. Then, occasinally, randomly, it will work - but usually between 1 or a few seconds after pressing the shutter. (And NO, it's not accidentally set to any Self-Timer function when this is happening.) Occasionally the camera simply will not function when the 01 lens is mounted - none of the buttons work, including the on-off power button. In fact, once or twice, I've had to remove the battery to turn the Q7 off with the 01 prime mounted.

But the problem is not in the camera body - because my other lens - the 03 fish-eye - works perfectly with the camera. Not only does the lens work well - but when it is mounted, all camera functions work perfectly.

I'm forced to conclude that, for reasons that may be impossible to determine, this 01 Prime lens has simply become a weirdly malfunctioning 'brick' - which is a real shame, since, to date, it had given me a number of outstanding shots and images.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. (Hope springs eternal in the Q-owner's mind and heart!)
Sorry to hear that it wasn't a simple body-lens contact issue, that's rather unfortunate. I cannot think of anything else, but if you're interested in selling it please PM me.
05-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Sorry to hear that it wasn't a simple body-lens contact issue, that's rather unfortunate. I cannot think of anything else, but if you're interested in selling it please PM me.
Are you planning on performing an autopsy? I'd like to see that.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them

Sorry to hear about your 01. Any update on a replacement? I was enjoying your Q contributions to this forum very much.
05-07-2021, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm happy to say I bought a replacement from a friend and fellow Pentaxian - and it functions perfectly!
Moral of the story: I think it's probably a good idea to treat whatever Q you have, and whatever Q lenses, with care. They're not quite as solid and semi-indestructible as some of my old manual-focus analog Takumars from the good 'ole days
05-07-2021, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm happy to say I bought a replacement from a friend and fellow Pentaxian - and it functions perfectly!
Moral of the story: I think it's probably a good idea to treat whatever Q you have, and whatever Q lenses, with care. They're not quite as solid and semi-indestructible as some of my old manual-focus analog Takumars from the good 'ole days
Good to hear that, thanks for reporting.
07-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Miguel, did you end up replacing the lens or the camera body? I think I’m encountering the same issue that you had, but I’m pretty convinced it’s a camera body issue and not a lens issue because it spontaneously started doing this with both lenses I have (01 & 02). I have a Q10 and I just got it, only took photos with it for a day before it began to have this issue! Oof.
07-28-2023, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What I replaced was the LENS - and not the camera body.
My original (older) 01 lens basically totally failed and was unfixable.
The replacement 01 lens which I acquired (from a friend and fellow Pentaxian) has functioned perfectly ever since I got it - and is still functioning perfectly.
I'm sorry to hear about your issues - and I have to concur with you that, based on your description, sounds like an issue with the camera body and not with either lens. Sounds like the easiest alternative might be to acquire another Q body and then try the lenses with it and (hopefully!) the problem would disappear. If you do wind up going that route, I would highly recommend looking for a Q7 body. In my (relatively limited) experience with various Qs, the Q7 has been far and away the best one (possibly because of its slightly newer and improved sensor). If I remember correctly the sensor size of the Q7 is 1.5x that of your Q10.
Good luck!!!!
07-29-2023, 08:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I replaced was the LENS - and not the camera body.
My original (older) 01 lens basically totally failed and was unfixable.
The replacement 01 lens which I acquired (from a friend and fellow Pentaxian) has functioned perfectly ever since I got it - and is still functioning perfectly.
I'm sorry to hear about your issues - and I have to concur with you that, based on your description, sounds like an issue with the camera body and not with either lens. Sounds like the easiest alternative might be to acquire another Q body and then try the lenses with it and (hopefully!) the problem would disappear. If you do wind up going that route, I would highly recommend looking for a Q7 body. In my (relatively limited) experience with various Qs, the Q7 has been far and away the best one (possibly because of its slightly newer and improved sensor). If I remember correctly the sensor size of the Q7 is 1.5x that of your Q10.
Good luck!!!!
Thanks for your response! After reading it and going back through other folks’ opinions about the various Q bodies I decided the q7 is indeed the best one for my needs. So thank you for that suggestion. I’m glad you’ve got a working combo!