Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2021, 04:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Wide angle iPhone vs Pentax Q?

I don’t have one of the fancy iPhones with the super wide angle lens. Do you think it will beat a Pentax Q with a fisheye or even the 08 in terms of image quality?

05-14-2021, 05:03 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both. What are you looking to do with the picture? The picture quality of the iPhone 12 is awesome but the Q would kick it's butt if you want a real picture to print. If you want to post on facebook then you can get some amazing shots with both.
05-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the iPhone 11 with the two lens setup. The wide angle is fine in a pinch but is lower resolution than the main camera. It is also slower optically.

Here’s a pair of shots from yesterday:

Path by -vanya_42nd-

Wide shot: path by -vanya_42nd-
05-14-2021, 03:08 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
08 is an incredible lens. Corner to corner sharp, little to no aberration.
I'd be surprised if an iPhone could beat it.

The 03 fisheye is more about effect than pure image quality.

05-14-2021, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Phones still seem to handle detail way worse than proper cameras. Over all the images look nice though.
05-14-2021, 03:26 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have the iPhone 11 with the two lens setup. The wide angle is fine in a pinch but is lower resolution than the main camera. It is also slower optically.
Look like massive noise suppression combined with over sharpening and over saturation, just like my Samsung Galaxy.
Not sure if you can get RAW from the iPhone so maybe it would be better starting with that. I can't get RAW on my Samsung.

Q-S1 plus 08 blows it out of the water.

This is the Q-S1 plus 02, but I have this printed at 20 x 30 and it looks great. Tons of detail in the scaled up version.

Last edited by caliscouser; 05-14-2021 at 03:33 PM.
05-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The algorithmic photography of the latest iphone/android devices is amazing. granted what we are looking at is mostly fabricated bokeh and colors but aren't all camera companies heading that way. the problem is tha while professionals can spot them most people don't, and being instagram the main photo consumption manner they are really getting all the attention.

05-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Look like massive noise suppression combined with over sharpening and over saturation, just like my Samsung Galaxy.
Not sure if you can get RAW from the iPhone so maybe it would be better starting with that. I can't get RAW on my Samsung.

Q-S1 plus 08 blows it out of the water.

This is the Q-S1 plus 02, but I have this printed at 20 x 30 and it looks great. Tons of detail in the scaled up version.
I know on the pro versions raw is available. I will look. Some shots are good others are meh.

My moto z4 offered raw. Interestingly the sensor in that camera is 48mp but the files are I think 12mp since the use some type of binning. Even so it was only ok as the image processing was weak.
05-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're just posting on social media, you won't see much difference. If you're printing larger than 8 X 10, the Q hands down.
05-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My moto z4 offered raw. Interestingly the sensor in that camera is 48mp but the files are I think 12mp since the use some type of binning. Even so it was only ok as the image processing was weak
Yeah, the Samsungs have that same 48Mp sensor. JPG's are garbage because of the image processing. I would be interested to know what the RAW's are like though.
05-14-2021, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

just convenience

I have both iPhone 11 and 12 and use them more and more often for ad hoc photos , one of them always in my pocket.
I still love the "Q" and MX-1.
05-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I have both iPhone 11 and 12 and use them more and more often for ad hoc photos , one of them always in my pocket.
I still love the "Q" and MX-1.
My Panasonic LX-7 has roughly the same sensor as the Q7 and I love it.
05-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Today at the shops I tried “ultra wide” end of the latest Samsung and Apple phones. The fields of view really are extremely wide! The edges of the frame are very stretched albeit linear vs fisheye. I don’t think any native Q lens is as wide as what these phones do.
05-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Today at the shops I tried “ultra wide” end of the latest Samsung and Apple phones. The fields of view really are extremely wide! The edges of the frame are very stretched albeit linear vs fisheye. I don’t think any native Q lens is as wide as what these phones do.
The phones are wider than the Q and 03 fisheye? There's always a theta. Obviously the Theta is wider than Q +08, but is the picture quality comparable?

Thanks,
barondla
05-16-2021, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #15
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
I don’t have one of the fancy iPhones with the super wide angle lens. Do you think it will beat a Pentax Q with a fisheye or even the 08 in terms of image quality?
There are many examples on flickr.
iPhone (and other cellphones) with 13mm FF-equivalent FOV: Search: 1.54mm | Flickr
Q 08 (~18mm FF-equivalent FOV at the wide end on Q7): Flickr: The 08 WIDE ZOOM Pool
Q 03 (~15mm FF-equivalent FOV on Q7): Flickr: The Pentax Q 03 Fisheye Pool

As far as IQ goes, Q shots look much more pleasing than cellphone ultrawides to me though there are over-processed Q shots too. Sensor for ultra-wide iPhone cameras is tinier, at least for now, than already tiny Q series sensors. Crop factor of these is 13/1.54~8.4(!!) VS ~4.7 for Q7/Q-S1 and ~5.5 for Q.

However, if IQ were everything I won't be using Q7.

Wider FOV might be genuinely useful for some situations. If I have one of these phones (which I don't) I won't hesitate to use its ultra-wide thing whenever it's convenient. Convenience matters to me.