Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QS-1 for vlogging

Hi all. I plan to vlog as I go camping out west for a few weeks this summer, so my family can follow me on YouTube, and then when we all go camping for a week, too. I tested the Q-S1 tonight on my monopod-with-feet that I got for the purpose, and it works pretty well. You do have to get it's attention to autofocus though.

However, I am wondering if anyone has advice for a hot shoe microphone for it. That would really improve the sound quality.

---------- Post added 05-29-21 at 08:40 PM ----------

05-29-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is what I use. Sound quality is great and no batteries required.

amazon.com: Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount: Musical Instruments?tag=pentaxforums-20&
05-30-2021, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How possibly would you connect Rode to QS-1?

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
Yes , I use Rode mics but not with the Q

---------- Post added 05-30-21 at 17:48 ----------

Pentax Q and External Microphones? - PentaxForums.com
05-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
thanks for the advice! Checking it out on Amazon now.

05-30-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Small sensor will give you great DOF with no need to have the camera refocus. No mic input, of course.
06-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Small sensor will give you great DOF with no need to have the camera refocus. No mic input, of course.
One nice feature of Q-S1 is that it actually does do autofocus during video mode, even though not very fast. I decided to just go with a separate lapel mike, and mute the QS-1 feed, unless it is something nice like bird songs.
06-12-2021, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Q-S1 videos started

Hi all,

For those , curious, the trip vlog is up and running now. The very first clip is actually iPhone 12. The rest is QS1. Today’s post won’t go up until at library or McDonalds or Starbucks, etc. but for the most part, works well. So far I’ve been too lazy to use a separate mic.

06-13-2021, 12:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi @Bboodad
How are you editing and posting these vlogs on the road?

I love the Q-S1 for photos, but if I were to use it for video, I’d prioritise a motorised gimbal to smooth out the movements with the 02 and 01 lenses. As you probably noticed on you 1st test video, the Q-S1 video stabilisation is not optimal as it tries to follow what it deems as a subject even when fixed on a stationary tripod! This means the IS is fairly unusable even when handheld, given the occasional unwanted re-framing the IS introduces.
Otherwise you may well find your iPhone12’s cameras give better behaving video image stabilisation, faster autofocus, and mic quality is already plenty capable. Add to that, iPhone has iMovie for easy edits and upload to YouTube just too compelling a convenience combo when on your travels.

The Q-S-1 video I would still use for shooting oddball focal length adapted lenses combined with a tripod or gimbal. A 300mm lens for wildlife video shot from afar for example. Or crazy perspective wide angle 1.8-3mm cctv lens views. The kind of thing that a current iPhone would have no way to compete with.

Happy camping to you!

Last edited by 2old4toys; 06-13-2021 at 12:53 AM.
07-20-2021, 01:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. It was so hot, and I tended to keep pretty active, that I mostly just did hand-held shooting.

As for editing, initially I used an app on my iPad. But when the iPad filled up, I could not get it to shuttle pics/video off the iPad to leave enough room for video editing. So then I switched to Mac Book Pro, and just didn't get much done after that, unfortunately.

I did not use much iPhone video, because Adobe apps (such as Premier and Rush) can't access the iPhones photos and videos unless they are individually saved as separate files on the iDrive. Kind of a shame really, as the iPhone 12 does take excellent pics and video at close range.

I did just get the Pentax K to Q adapter to try out my regular lenses on the Q-S1 when in Hawaii later this summer. Will be curious to see if it can still do autofocus then.