Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
I wouldn’t mind doing a 1 off surgical operation to replace the old lithium button cell with a capacitor instead.
I tried that with the K30, didn't work (ELNA supercap).
The battery used here is a ML414H by Seiko:
https://www.sii.co.jp/en/me/datasheets/ms-rechargeable/ml414h/

09-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Since the circuit is not designed from the beginning for a capacitor, then a capacitor will not substitute directly for the clock battery.
Battery vs. capacitor are two totally different applications/requirements for charging and discharging/releasing current to the system.
09-03-2021, 04:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Since the circuit is not designed from the beginning for a capacitor, then a capacitor will not substitute directly for the clock battery.
Battery vs. capacitor are two totally different applications/requirements for charging and discharging/releasing current to the system.
I am aware of that.
The reason I tried it was that a forum member insisted here and on Youtube that he replaced his MS414 with a Elna supercap and it worked.

So I got exaltly those supercaps and tried it, it failed.

I never ever came across any Pentax DLSR with a supercap and I disassembled many!
09-03-2021, 06:18 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I am aware of that.
The reason I tried it was that a forum member insisted here and on Youtube that he replaced his MS414 with a Elna supercap and it worked.

So I got exaltly those supercaps and tried it, it failed.

I never ever came across any Pentax DLSR with a supercap and I disassembled many!
Not directed at you, general statement.

09-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The short life of modern electronics has clinging to my manual film cameras like Linus to his security blanket.
I am now approaching the seventh anniversary of my purchasing a Q-7 as used.
It has given me good service for those seven years - so as it doesn't always start reliably - I sometimes have to hard boot it {remove - then replace - the battery} I am talking about replacing it.
Honestly, I think that is good life for it ..... good enough life, I just finished looking at lightly used ones on eBay.
I have two "manual" film cameras - a "Spotmatic" and a "Super Program" - that I hardly ever use these days.
I see zero comparison - the Q-7's give me much better photos.
09-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It has given me good service for those seven years - so as it doesn't always start reliably - I sometimes have to hard boot it {remove - then replace - the battery} I am talking about replacing it.
Honestly, I think that is good life for it ..... good enough life, I just finished looking at lightly used ones on eBay.
I have two "manual" film cameras - a "Spotmatic" and a "Super Program" - that I hardly ever use these days.
I see zero comparison - the Q-7's give me much better photos.
And your post is how related to the question about the C-MOS battery?
Everything of importance towards this thread has been said.
But your 2 posts (#15 + #20) have zero connection to the problem.

Might be a good idea to ponder your comment here:
I am bored with talk

Last edited by photogem; 09-05-2021 at 04:23 PM.
09-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #22
Pentaxian

And your post is how related to the question about the C-MOS battery?
Everything of importance towards this thread has been said.
But your 2 posts (#15 + #20) have zero connection to the problem.

Might be a good idea to ponder your comment here:
I was replying to a particular comment about the build of modern cameras.

Perhaps you should address your comment to that member instead.

My K-30 takes much better photos using my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 lens than my “Super Program” {film} camera ever did,
and my Q-7 also works much better. I would hate to back to using only to using the “Super Program” as my primary camera.

Last edited by reh321; 09-05-2021 at 05:02 PM.
09-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was replying to a particular comment about the build of modern cameras.
You had already replied to that very same comment in your post #15 in June this year.
09-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #24
Pentaxian

You had already replied to that very same comment in your post #15 in June this year.
Thank you for telling me that.
You clearly keep better track of my posts than I do.
01-17-2022, 09:42 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery
I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I'm just wondering if any of you managed to actually replace the battery in a Q?

I have an original Q and a Q7, both secondhand. The Q has had issues with the memory battery since I got it. If I'm really quick, I can change batteries without loosing the time.

I'm contemplating whether to dive in and have a go at the replacement. By way of background, I'm in the middle of replacing the same part on a K-r (just waiting on battery I've ordered), but it's very accessible on that camera. On the Q, I really don't want to have to de-solder and re-solder anything other than the battery. I 'm hoping I can just disconnect the ribbon cables and have enough wiggle room to gain access to the battery.

On a side note for those looking to protect the cameras from leaking batteries - the K-r appears to operate perfectly without the battery installed. I would expect the Q may do the same thing.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Matt.
01-18-2022, 07:05 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Q has a substantially different body build, so "maybe" you can.

Do plan to document the disassembly/destruction and do a new thread with pictures.

I doubt you will be able to get to it without some "soldering" though.
01-27-2022, 12:37 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax Q has two almost identical mainboards as the Q10 and the C-MOS battery sits on the backside of the 2-nd mainboard as shown HERE
HERE you can see mainboard #2 of the Q
01-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

As mentioned above
I was in the market for a 'new' "Q".

I did need to have my smart phone at hand whenever I changed the battery .... but I found it merely annoyance to have a photo labeled as 1:00 am when I knew it had been taken at 11:00 am.
I looked simply because my Q-7 seemed to have become unreliable.
The vendors seem to have noted everything they thought was important and then packed it away for shipping, but finally I found a Q-S1 with advertised shutter count under 200 and priced about $300.
I will use it more gingerly, but the "Q" has found a place in my active group, and I plan to keep it that way.
01-27-2022, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #29

Non-destructive dis and re - assembly of originial flavor Q:

Pentax Q disassembly and LCD repair – replacement operation. | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
01-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
Excellent - the original Q is much "easier" to disassemble without destroying it!
Did you get deep enough to see or change the clock battery ?