Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2022, 07:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

01 Lens Alternative?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've recently acquired a pentax Q with 02 lens. I already have an 06 and an 05 and I'm having difficulty finding an 01 lens sourced here in the UK locally. I was wondering if there's a similar alternative that won't cost an arm and a leg. I'm thinking maybe something D mount, vintage but I'm a bit overwhelmed by what's on the market. I understand it would have to be manual focus once I try adapting lenses.

Or is there a secret UK shop for used / new pentax stuff? I have tried CEX but the 01 is unavailable, I don't think it will be around any time soon.

02-25-2022, 07:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All the options tested so far - Adapted lenses tested on the Q : the reference thread - PentaxForums.com

UK shops worth trawling regularly include but not limited to Mifsuds, Ffordes, Park, SRS, London Camera Exchange. I suspect buying from Japan is the only real option now.
02-25-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmm, that might just be the case. I did manage to snag the 06 from Amazon US but sadly, no 01. With japan imports, I'm thinking is it worth just getting a whole Pentax camera with the 01 as kit? then again, I'll get beaten to a pulp by customs since most are more than £150. London Camera Exchange here in my place told me "good luck" when I went in haha!

What do you guys think about vintage, cine lenses? might be a gamble if I'll get some sharp images on them.

---------- Post added 02-25-22 at 09:51 AM ----------

Oooh follow-up question! (sorry, I can't seem to find the edit function on to add to my post)

I think I found one, the Pentax 110 18mm f2.8. it's also on the tested lens list and I think fits the Q size and my stealthy requirement perfectly. However, being new to all this, what kind of lens adapter do I need to fit this into my Q?
02-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Pentax 110 adapters? - PentaxForums.com Note the use of Lensbaby aperture disks as there is no aperture mechanism on 110 lenses. The 18mm 110 lens will be a telephoto lens on Q so don't expect the same field of view as the 01 lens.

02-25-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
ahh that was going to be my next question. As I dug around, people kept talking about "disks". I'll do my research on the Lensbaby. Thanks for the leads! Would this be nearly true for other vintage lenses?
02-25-2022, 11:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Elias Paniki Quote
I've recently acquired a pentax Q with 02 lens. I already have an 06 and an 05 and I'm having difficulty finding an 01 lens sourced here in the UK locally. I was wondering if there's a similar alternative that won't cost an arm and a leg. I'm thinking maybe something D mount, vintage but I'm a bit overwhelmed by what's on the market. I understand it would have to be manual focus once I try adapting lenses.

Or is there a secret UK shop for used / new pentax stuff? I have tried CEX but the 01 is unavailable, I don't think it will be around any time soon.
When I purchased my Q-7 in November 2014, I purchased my ‘01 from a Japanese merchant.
02-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #7

If your Q is one of those with 1/1.7" sensor, try getting a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 17mm f0.95 and a C-mount adapter.
In case you really need the wide angle - a Schneider Optivaron 6-66mm f/1.8 can be quite nice (you can easily remove the motors btw.), it also allows macro via a dedicated lever but it is quite large.

02-25-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Have a look at this page: Pentax Q 8.5mm f1.9 SMC 01 Standard Prime AL IF Lens 8.5/1.9 #653 | eBay. Hope this helps.
02-25-2022, 06:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see the from time to time on mpb.com, shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=889257&u=523490&m=66875&urllink=keh.com, usedphotopro.com and various forum sales like mu-43.com etc.

---------- Post added 02-25-22 at 08:25 PM ----------

Used Pentax Q 8.5mm f1.9 SMC 01 Standard Prime AL IF Lens 8.5/1.9 in 'Mint-' condition

Currently listed. Usedphotopro is Roberts camera.

---------- Post added 02-25-22 at 08:26 PM ----------

I’m unclear if they ship to you.
02-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Elias, welcome to the forum! I'm a lazy current maintainer of Q Adapted lensesreference thread.

In that thread, Pentax C30811KP 8.5 f1.5 C mount CCTV lens looks good to me. There's no example of Cosmicar 8.5mm f1.5 C mount CCTV lens (w/o Pentax logo on the barrel) in the thread, it seems to be cheaper and somewhat more widely available, but I don't know if it's the same lens as C30811.

Though the sample picture is gone, the user who adapted CS mount Cosmicar 6mm f/1.4 seems to like it.

When adapting lenses other than Q mount, there are a few things you should know.
  1. Q 01, 02, 06 and 08 lens as well as the OEM K mount adapter have mechanical shutter built in, and you can use mechanical shutter as well as electronic shutter. Other lenses don't have mechanical shutter as far as Q is concerned, and you'll be using electronic shutter.
    1. When using electronic shutter, the rolling_shutter effect could be rather severe depending on the subject. See attached for example. No such effect using Q lenses' mechanical shutter.
    2. Slow shutter is limited to 2 seconds for electronic shutter, 30 sec for mechanical shutter.
    3. Flash sync speed is 1/13 sec for electronic shutter no matter what. With mechanical shutter it's 1/2000 sec for built-in flash and 1/250 sec for external flash.
  2. Q 01, 02, 06 and 08 lens have in-lens ND filter you can switch on/off from the camera to attenuate the light by 2 stops. This comes very handy for bright scene and for slow shutter.
Q 01, 02, 06 and 08 lenses (as well as OEM K mount adapter though it doesn't have ND filter) offer these advantages. OTOH, one drawback of 01 lens that I sometimes feel is that its geometric distortion is not small, though I don't know if non-Q alternatives are any better in that respect.

Good luck for your search, and if you end up adapting some lenses, don't forget to post to the reference thread!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
02-27-2022, 04:14 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

100% Mint PENTAX 01 Standard Prime 8.5mm 1.9 Q Q10 Q7 QS1 #893 | eBay
02-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #12
Unregistered User

QuoteQuote:
What do you guys think about vintage, cine lenses? might be a gamble if I'll get some sharp images on them.

---------- Post added 02-25-22 at 09:51 AM ----------

Oooh follow-up question! (sorry, I can't seem to find the edit function on to add to my post)

I think I found one, the Pentax 110 18mm f2.8. it's also on the tested lens list and I think fits the Q size and my stealthy requirement perfectly. However, being new to all this, what kind of lens adapter do I need to fit this into my Q?
If you can find a decent C mount lens be prepared for sticker shock, a Nikkor, Canon, Palliard/Kern or Schneider Cine 10mm will cost you more than a Q body with three lenses! I have the Auto 110 18mm and it does work well with the Q system with the proper adapter. As other have stated, you really need to put a washer in the adapter to bring the fstop down to about 4.5, it is soft without it. That said, and if you can live with the 80mm equivalent field of view, it works well, is light and small and focuses easily. It also has a dedicated close-up lens (W21) that makes for a nifty mini-macro setup. Here is a link to a little photo essay I shot with the 18mm: Flippism Is The Key: Food Truck Frenzy

The 01 lens is sharper and definitely worth the money. The camera will auto correct any distortion.

I've tried numerous cctv and machine vision lenses, none of them are really good, and most are awkward to focus. Beware of "CS" lenses, they won't work with c mount adapters.
02-28-2022, 04:45 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm looking at a couple of japan sales at the moment for the 01, there seems to even be brand new ones which if I can get, I would prefer to have. But I'm also waiting of the one on sale here on the forum would ship internationally.

Meanwhile, how about the 04 Lens? I've tried out the 05 lens but the focal length is just too far for me to use as a point and shoot but I do wanna play around with it. I've been digging around here for pictures of the 04 but there don't seem to be a lot of fans. I do like the appeal of a tiny, slap-on lens, and hoping it's just bring-out-point-and-shoot (but realistically, that's why I'm trying to hunt down the 01 lens for that purpose).
03-01-2022, 07:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Meanwhile, how about the 04 Lens? I've tried out the 05 lens but the focal length is just too far for me to use as a point and shoot but I do wanna play around with it. I've been digging around here for pictures of the 04 but there don't seem to be a lot of fans. I do like the appeal of a tiny, slap-on lens, and hoping it's just bring-out-point-and-shoot (but realistically, that's why I'm trying to hunt down the 01 lens for that purpose).
The Q 04 lens is not bad but you have to keep in mind that its max aperture of f/7.1 puts it in the diffraction zone. Images can be enhanced by sharpening and its aberrations (CA and distortion) can be dealt with in post but the result will never be as sharp as what you would get from the 01 lens, especially at infinity. For close-up shots though, the 04 lens is very convenient: it focuses down to a few centimeters from the front element and offers surprisingly good image quality.

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-02-2022, 01:54 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I've managed to secure an 01 from a forum member, Really excited! I might make the 01 and 06 the ones that I carry around all the time. My 02 lens, I think has some problems as the battery abnormally drains pretty bad with it. Probably a focusing issue. If I can get an 04 bargain in the future. While I wait for the 01, I'mma play around with the 05.