Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-02-2022, 05:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Issues with Interval-Shots - Q10 does stop after about 250 pictures

Hello,

i have to record a technical process over a period of about 24 hours.

My approach was to use my Q10, set to an interval of 1.5 Minutes, 999 pictures in total.
(As it will lead to a higher image quality compared to the interval-video)

My Q 10 is connected to AC, using a battery-dummy as an adapter.
I'm using a 64 GB SD card, the camera is set to "P", 12 MPX, JPEG only, 02-zoom-lens.
Latest firmware.

Results so far:
After 227 (first try) and 279 (second try) the camera did stop taking pictures and was turned of.
I could turn it on again, no problems here.

Any suggestions?
Is it an issue with the AC-adapter?
Or is this a common issue with the Q10?

Many thanks an best regards :-)

07-02-2022, 06:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don’t know much about the q directly as I don’t own one. However I found this on a search: Pentax q10 qs1 interval shoot bugs - PentaxForums.com

It appears this has come up before. I don’t see any solutions discussed. Can you shoot several shorter intervals?

---------- Post added 07-02-22 at 10:26 AM ----------

Is it possible the sensor over heated? How long is each exposure? Can you turn down brightness and turn off distortion corrections to reduce power needs so that less heat is generated? Does that increase the number of shots you get?
07-02-2022, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few theories:

Overheating: the Q10 will shutdown if it gets too hot. Is the camera sitting where the sun can hit it? If this is true, shading or cooling the camera with a small fan might help.

Power glitch: Small power drop-outs (lightning, large equipment cycling on/off) could be enough to interrupt the output of the adaptor and cause the camera to turn off. A UPS might help.

The curse of 32-bit variables: How big was the folder of images from the 279-shot run? If it was anything close to either 2 GB or 4 GB, then it is likely that the operating system of the Q10 uses a 32-bit variable in it's memory management system. If this is true, then you'd have to limit the file size or number to limit the total size of the data set.

Good luck!
07-02-2022, 02:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not your number of shots, per se. I've done more (with a Q7, though).

I suspect over-heating, too.

I recently took 300 shots to make a time-lapse movie of our local forest fire, with no problem. Interval was only 5 seconds, though! Shutter speed was 1/640 sec and I also had the number of pixels per image downsized in the camera: 1920 by 1440 pixels. If you don't need full resolution to watch your process, you might downsize - this would help if you are running into folder size problems on the SD card, as photoptimist suggests. BTW, this was all on a single battery charge (but the overall time the camera was on was only about 25 minutes).

07-02-2022, 11:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello,

hmmm the Q was placed on my desk, as I did test the setup only.
Overheating should not be the case.

But: my plan is to place it in an environment that maintains 37 °Celsius... This might become an issue...

I will give it a try with a different power source and report!

Best regards and thanks for the suggestions :-)
07-28-2022, 07:46 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello,

after several tries with the Q10, I gave up.

The Q7 does the job with the same lens, the same SD card, same AC adapter without any issues.

BTW: the camera software is a little bit different, concerning how to access interval shooting.

Best regards!