Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2022, 05:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Yeah, why did they skimp on having a built-in flash with PTTL for the GR? I think the predecessor had it.
Ten years ago, I was the happy owner of a Canon Rebel.

Then I had two cases of processor failure, followed by whole camera failure.
I cannot replace the processor, so I believe both Rebels are now in what was the town dump.

I then purchased a Pentax K-30.
I got a FA 28-105 to carry around with me in case of “Dark Image Syndrome”.
Then I got a KP; now the two cameras are approaching the time for the two Rebels.
I still use the K-30, mostly with an external flash unit.
As far as I can tell, the biggest use of those on-board units is to light up the bald head
ahead of you while signaling the beginning of a dusk NASCAR race.
My external unit allows me to bounce flash, and my younger daughter thinks it is ‘cool’
that I will use same external unit to photograph her daughter {due in December}
that I used to photograph her as an infant thirty years ago.
It is all about how you use things.

07-14-2022, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #17
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Probably to keep size down, not?
The developers said that's not it. From DC watch interview (https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1197105.html):"小型化を実現するためにフラッシュを非搭載にしたということではありません。" i.e. "Keeping the size down is not the reason why the flash wasn't built-in. "

In the 2nd article of the same interview (RICOH GR III???? - ???? Watch) they said that the startup time (0.8s) is the shortest among all GR models, that extending the lens barrel was a big factor, and that they were able to use a bigger motor in GR III to drive the lens barrel because of the space that used to be occupied by the flash in GR II.