Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2023, 09:18 PM   #16
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 12
QuoteOriginally posted by Strangways Quote
I've seen lenses from other companies where a flex cable just pops out of a connector, or it uses wires and the solder breaks, all on the circuit board just under the mount. Both are easy fixes. The Pentax lens is better built, so no design flaws that are easy to fix, which just unfortunately means that when a lens fails, there is probably no hope for it. But I do believe they are less likely to fail than many others. There's a plastic post the flex cable rests against, and the end is curved and rounded off so the cable never rests on a sharp edge - it's smart design, probably the best they could do for such a small lens that will always be a bit delicate due to its size.

What did you end up doing with the broken lens? Iím looking for another lens to Frankenstein into a shutter adapter to m42. I figure I can remove all the optical elements and just leave the shutter in place. Didnít want to destroy my only lens trying this out 😂

08-27-2023, 07:09 PM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 22
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dscustoms Quote
What did you end up doing with the broken lens? Iím looking for another lens to Frankenstein into a shutter adapter to m42. I figure I can remove all the optical elements and just leave the shutter in place. Didnít want to destroy my only lens trying this out 😂
I kept one optical group to use as a magnifying glass, one group went to a co-worker, some bits like the mount and rubber focus ring I saved as spare parts, and the shutter I unfortunately threw away. I do still have an 06 Telephoto Zoom that won't focus that is fully intact. Two failed Pentax Q lenses is still not bad compared to two-thirds of my Nikon 1 lenses failing!
08-28-2023, 06:43 AM   #18
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 12
Well if anyone has a q lens thatís defective Iíd be happy to pay a few bucks for it to try this out. Just needs to have a working shutter.
08-28-2023, 07:41 PM   #19
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 22
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dscustoms Quote
Well if anyone has a q lens thatís defective Iíd be happy to pay a few bucks for it to try this out. Just needs to have a working shutter.
Where do you live?

08-29-2023, 04:38 AM   #20
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 12
QuoteOriginally posted by Strangways Quote
Where do you live?
Florida. Iím happy to pay for one, shipping, whatever. Just donít want to buy a working lens for $60 and immediately destroy it 😂
08-29-2023, 09:31 PM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by Strangways Quote
Two failed Pentax Q lenses is still not bad compared to two-thirds of my Nikon 1 lenses failing!
Ouch Nikon! I also was thinking of making use of working electronic shutter module from a Q lens for a DIY Pentax 110 lens adaptor for Q. You are a bit far from me though. Will follow with interest.
09-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #22
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 12
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Ouch Nikon! I also was thinking of making use of working electronic shutter module from a Q lens for a DIY Pentax 110 lens adaptor for Q. You are a bit far from me though. Will follow with interest.
Just saw your old thread from five years ago. You never sacrificed a lens? I want to put the guts into an m42 adapter vs the 110 adapter so much more room to play with. Guess nobody wants to give up a broken 01,02,06 lens. Maybe Iíll just have to ruin a working one.

09-10-2023, 05:44 PM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by Dscustoms Quote
Guess nobody wants to give up a broken 01,02,06 lens. Maybe Iíll just have to ruin a working one.
True, after all this time I still havenít gotten hold of a sacrificial Q lens to try this on.
09-14-2023, 05:56 PM   #24
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 12
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
True, after all this time I still havenít gotten hold of a sacrificial Q lens to try this on.
Well I just bought a second 02 on eBay cheap, although I really think an 01 would be better for this project. Might need to buy YET ANOTHER LENS… �� for now I can at least ruin an 02 and see if it is even possible.
09-15-2023, 02:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by Dscustoms Quote
Well I just bought a second 02 on eBay cheap, although I really think an 01 would be better for this project.
The 02 is the cheapest and surely the most commonly available of the Q lenses, whilst the 06 seems the most failure prone.

Good luck with that 02 dismemberment and share you findings here!!!
09-26-2023, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #26
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 12
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
The 02 is the cheapest and surely the most commonly available of the Q lenses, whilst the 06 seems the most failure prone.

Good luck with that 02 dismemberment and share you findings here!!!
Oof. Well, that may have been a pointless sacrifice. It started so well.
Disappointingly, even with all of the assemblies intact post disassembly it doesn’t reliably work. I’m not even sure why, they made the camera lens communications way too smart for this little thing. I was just hoping to tuck all the parts away either in or outside of a mount adapter cheaply, just to get the exposures past 2 seconds. They should have just made that a firmware fix. Oh well. The little parts all work, when it decides to get past the startup, but I can’t tell what is failing there and I spent too many hours testing combinations. I’d recommend not disassembling one of those �� I did get frustrated with one ring and it broke but I never intended to put this one back together.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 13 Pro Max  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 13 Pro Max  Photo 
09-26-2023, 10:22 PM   #27
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by Dscustoms Quote
I spent too many hours testing combinations. Iíd recommend not disassembling one of those �� I did get frustrated with one ring and it broke but I never intended to put this one back together.
So brave and salute you for your time spent.
What was the ring piece that broke so we can be in the lookout for it!
09-27-2023, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #28
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 12
QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
So brave and salute you for your time spent.
What was the ring piece that broke so we can be in the lookout for it!
Honestly just don’t �� I took the 80 pictures of every step. Still a nightmare.
At this step there’s a bunch of hidden screws. I don’t even know how the robots assemble this. It was already not worth the time to put it back together so I just snipped a piece ��
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 13 Pro Max  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 13 Pro Max  Photo 
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cable, camera, cause, circuit, element, factor, flex, focus, front, lens, lenses, mechanism, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, photos, q-s1, q10, q7, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Q 02 standard zoom; zoom ring stuck MisterMOL Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 09-09-2021 02:31 AM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax-Q 5-15mm F2.8-4.5 Standard Zoom 02 teuflor Sold Items 8 01-16-2013 08:05 AM
Q 02 Standard Zoom vs 06 Telephoto Taylor14 Pentax Q 13 09-15-2012 01:20 AM
DSLR Autopsy! ve2vfd General Talk 11 01-18-2010 09:47 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top