Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2022, 05:08 PM - 6 Likes   #1

Ricoh C Mount 25mm f/1.4 5 Mega lens on a Pentax Q

I've seen this lens on the forums before(the RICOH FL-CC2514-5M to be exact), but mostly just being talked about with no photo examples. So one day I saw it for a nice price of about $150 and picked it up for my Pentax Q, and now I finally decided to post what some of the photos look like.

The lens can has a real nice close up focusing distance so those are the examples I got. I know it's more of a tele on the Q, but it was really fun as a macro. With the aperture full wide open it's really neat, but also very unforgiving, particularly at lower shutter speeds if I'm not well stabilized.

The first photo was taken with a different camera of course, but I just thought the lens looked really nice on the Q.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-02-2022, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's some more info on your lens:

F1.4/25mm - Ricoh International B.V.
12-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As macro it looks nice. How it works as telephoto?
12-02-2022, 07:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
As macro it looks nice. How it works as telephoto?
I haven't used it too much as a telephoto, but in my experience so far, shooting wide open isn't too forgiving at times when it comes to focusing, and it's not the sharpest lens in the world wide open. Throw in the lack of any image stabilization and it can be difficult to get a clean shot at slower shutter speeds. I did find that setting the aperture at f/2 and beyond would give it sharper images, but I'll need to play around with it and shoot more to be sure.
I've definitely been using it for more macro shots since getting it.

I'll have try to get some tele shot examples up here some time for sure.

12-02-2022, 07:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Here's some more info on your lens:

F1.4/25mm - Ricoh International B.V.
Thanks!
12-03-2022, 07:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has a nice look as a macro. Appears well constructed. Would love to see some tele shots.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
12-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks a lot newer/fancier than my C-mount Pentax TV 25/1.4

I really should get around to making some images with mine....

12-04-2022, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oshamo Quote
Throw in the lack of any image stabilization and it can be difficult to get a clean shot at slower shutter speeds.

Why is there a lack of any image stabilization? SR should work with any lens. You should see a screen menu asking for input of the focal length when you switch on.
12-23-2022, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Why is there a lack of any image stabilization? SR should work with any lens. You should see a screen menu asking for input of the focal length when you switch on.
When I look at the EXIF, it appears the focal length was set at 77mm. That's why the image stabilization seems inefficient. If the focal length is not set correctly –and especially if the set value is more than the real focal length of the lens– then the Shake Reduction circuit will not compensate for the right amount when it detects sensor movement.

When using an adapted 25mm lens, the focal length should be set as such when prompted during camera startup, and not as a so-called "equivalent focal length" based on the sensor "crop factor."

Cheers!

Abbazz
12-23-2022, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Unregistered User

I find that when using an adapted lens on the Q it is a good idea to test the lens with the SR on (lower right corner of INFO page) at various shutter speeds, with a 25mm and a steady hand it should be possible to get sharp images at 1/10th of a second most of the time. This will improve with practice. You should turn it off when using the camera on a tripod, of course.

One further note: your lens is a "machine vision" lens rated at 5 megapixels, less than half of the 12 megapixel sensor of the Qs. It will not perform as well at a distance as the native Q lenses will.