Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wanted: Members here to collaborate on making bucks.

I'm going to do this in numbered talking points, so that it's easier for you guys to read and easier for me to explain.

1) The other day during lunch, I went to a lake near me where people pay to be pulled around on mini-surfboards by this cable contraption. Here's one of the shots:

This guy was one of dozens surfing, several of which wanted to get photos of what they were doing. (I looked all professional and old and like I knew what I was doing, so that helped.)

2) This led me to the idea that wherever I am and wherever I'm shooting, I should have a business card with a website listed, and tell the person, "Go to the Quiet Waters surfing page, and click on today's date." The person would go to that page, and scroll for his images. The images would have watermarks, small and low res but big enough for the person to be impressed by it.

3) He could then order the high-res file, or actual prints, or coffee mugs, printed toilet paper, whatever ELSE kind of cheap crap that could be sold to him.

4) The situations to do these kinds of shots are limitless and varied, especially for those of us in warm climates. Kids sporting activities, outdoor nightlife (streetside dining) or clubs that allow you to work there, festivals, etc.

5) Anyway, since we're all in different areas, we're not in competition with each other. We can also share the web site template/file amongst us for each of us to have our own unique URLs, since I figured people would feel more comfortable this way as opposed to having it under one URL. In other words, if the rest of us all die, your business lives on.

Most important, we can pool IDEAS to do this right and help us all make a few bucks with our cameras, even in this economy.

6) If you would like to be part of the group, please PM me or post here with your intentions. I'd like to form a core group of like five or so guys (and gals) who are SERIOUS about this. And if it becomes 10, so be it.

But we're going to have to vote on some kind of organizational structure, or it will be total chaos.

Mods--if this is way over the top for this site, I sincerely apologize. I'm just trying to share our talents and experiences so each of us can make money at photography in ways that it hasn't been made before.

Last edited by Ira; 05-05-2010 at 05:24 PM.
05-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
damn, I wish I live in FL area!
we got barely nothing here in Iowa lol
05-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I'm just trying to share our talents and experiences so each of us can make money at photography in ways that it hasn't been made before.
Are there any ways in which it has never been made before? In the old days you would get a Polaroid right then and there...now, some friend with a P&S in the boat, maybe.

Good luck, though!

(And I hope you get your 85/1.9 for whatever reason you want one).
05-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Ah, the old persistent hope that we'll all make enough money to support our LBA habits.

Well, the concept itself isn't that new, right? If you go to any tourist trap, you'll find these guys trying to charge you 10-20$ for an instant (within 30 min) print of your surfing lesson (-- or whatever it was that you were doing). I also think that there may be a revenue share for some of these existing photo print sites that you can upload to their gallery.

But the concept of a shared co-op template is pretty interesting. I just feel a bit awkward at the eventual sketchiness involved with soliciting these folks, rather than them coming up to you. I'd guess that people don't normally come to you after you take some photographs (although I could be (would love to be) wrong).

Either way, the prospect intrigues me and I certainly would like for my gear to pay for itself some day Keep me in the loop. I spend most of my time in California, but I have people in south Florida and am good for at least 2 weeks there a year.

05-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a good idea and pretty much the same business model used by photographers that do kids sports, dog trials, and ski resorts. There is a pro that works the ski mountain near me almost every day of the season when photography is an option. He has a big sign and you ski by doing your best moves. The photos are available online that evening. Similarly there are photographers who sit at the edge of a popular white water area near here. The photos of the day are posted at a local snack bar and are also available online.

One thing you can be sure to expect...When the owner of the establishment sees you taking photos and handing out your card, you can pretty much be sure that he will ask you to leave or ask for a percentage.

Steve
05-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I shot a t-ball game for a woman I worked with years ago...I didn't have extremely expensive gear...and maybe that is why..but I was not approached by anyone asking what I was doing. I was however thinking of buying myself a monopod and doing some soccer photos at the local middle school...but I'm unsure how that would pan out. I don't know if they allow it and I don't know that the parents would like it all that well...what do you guys think of things like that?
05-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This is all good input, even the negative stuff.

You also don't have to have to always hand out a card. In certain situations, you can just say, "I'll have it on my website tonight at floridaphotos.com. (But repeat the URL like 10 times!)

By the way--what I did above was in a County Park. They can't ask you to leave or stop, because you're not selling on site.

Also, there are MANY things that have been done before, and the key is to take those things that work and use them, and discard those that don't. We're out there shooting ANYWAY, and all I'm trying to do is develop a one-size-fits-all marketing plan and website that makes it easier on ALL of us.

The other day, I was shooting an old truck outside of a bar, and some guy with a hot chick says, "Take our picture!" Well, I said no, but if I did and handed him the card, he would have most probably ordered a print. He wanted to get in her pants.

For now, this is something for those of us with day jobs to possibly earn some extra income, and to take it from there.

Last edited by Ira; 05-05-2010 at 06:38 PM.
05-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
damn, I wish I live in FL area!
we got barely nothing here in Iowa lol
Just look around. Any sky diving or balloon rides/events? or little league/football? Motocross or cycle racing? Collegiate sports? Bungee towers/jumps? People are always ready to see themselves pictured in events or their children hitting that winning run or score a touchdown. You've got opportunities, just have to find them

05-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
I just feel a bit awkward at the eventual sketchiness involved with soliciting these folks, rather than them coming up to you. I'd guess that people don't normally come to you after you take some photographs (although I could be (would love to be) wrong).
Very important point, and it depends on the personality of the photographer and the specific circumstance he or she finds him/herself in. It might have to be a revenue sharing agreement with the venue, or a partial charity arrangement.

See? You already helped without knowing it.
05-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Just look around. Any sky diving or balloon rides/events? or little league/football? Motocross or cycle racing? Collegiate sports? Bungee towers/jumps? People are always ready to see themselves pictured in events or their children hitting that winning run or score a touchdown. You've got opportunities, just have to find them
Thanks for the pep talk.

All I envision is us each taking 4 hours a week, for example on a Saturday morning all in a row, or one hour here and one hour there, to work through the kinks and the learning experiences and share them amongst ourselves.

And you just reminded me that there's a big riding academy near me in the rich part of town. And those people have MONEY!
05-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #11

Websites are cheap enough these days that you might as well have your own. Unless a group of people has a webmaster that isn't one of the group, it's going to get very irritating with a group of people all wanting to have something different about the website and having all the flak going to one of you.

There's no harm, however, in having a group for ideas and having your own separate sites that each person maintains by his or her self, respectively.
05-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
Ah, the old persistent hope that we'll all make enough money to support our LBA habits.
I have that dream too.

I must say this all sounds pretty interesting. I've been brainstorming ideas about how to generate a bit of a second income from photography. Still formulating my plan but have started putting together some of the pieces already. I'll be certainly happy to share any successes/failures & good/bad ideas with the group and hopefully learn stuff myself.
05-06-2010, 02:44 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
I'd love to participate, but I think I'm a little far away. Over here in the UK there are a lot of people doing this sort of thing through Photobox. It seems to work for some...
05-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Event photography

Ira,

I am interested as a loose group of photogs with a central site or group of sites that we could each work from and maintain with a tip sharing section for what works and doesn't work for each.
I am in coastal Maine and shoot in the Portland to Harpswell area.

One thing to consider though is the fact that others from my area may be on this site so we could have several shooting at the same events.

You have a PM

Pics like this would work I think

Last edited by Nomad; 05-06-2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Added image
05-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Definitely an idea I'm going to keep my eye on. Not nearly as many opportunities to take these kinds of pics in gray Seattle, but I'm sure they're out there.

My first thought - if you're going to take any photos of under-aged kids (obviously pics desired & approved by their parents) the website template should have a password protected folder possibility. You can then assure the parents that only they would have access to the photos of their children - that would be really important to getting their interest in the first place, I think

My second thought - there are many content management systems that are very very flexible for this kind of thing. Everyone can agree on an initial look, and then all of the principles have access to creating content (writing news posts or blog posts, uploading photos, creating folders, creating client accounts so people can log in and look at protected photos etc.) A quick google reveals several, ImageFolio is one. There are many others