Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Question for Member who actually shoot in a studio

I just wonder, those of you who shoot in studios, how large are your studios?

How much room (footage) do you have in which to work?

I'm looking at a possible studio that would measure 20' x 25' and would use the long dimesion as my shooting plane which would give me a working area of about 20'.

Am I giving myself enough room?

TIA

Ed

08-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thats a lot more room than a lot of people have. For instance, I am building my studio in an outbuilding in my back yard that measures 12'X19' It'll be cramped but I will make due. One aspect that many people fail to account for is ceiling height. My building had 10' vertical walls and the peak of the finished ceiling will be just under 11'. This will give me more flexibility than people who have to work with standard 7-8' ceilings.

I completely understand that I will have to rent space in a local studio when I need more room but some personal studio is better than no personal studio.

Mike
08-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Having a personal studio is great, and I would say 20 x 25 is a good size, too. I've converted my sitting room into a studio, its 12 x 24 feet, and at 50mm I struggle to fit in 6ft ish people full length, but the majority of the time its plenty big enough; with the extra space you'd have I doubt you'd have the same issue with taller people.

Depends on what you want to shoot of course, and what props you'll use, but at 20 feet wide you'd even have room to work with a bed for example.
08-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
This is my little studio. Not very often used, but I do make some nice pictures in it. It's 3,20 meter x 4,10 meter (don't know the footage scale).

08-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you like the black walls Ron? I was planning on 18% gray...

Mike
08-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
How do you like the black walls Ron? I was planning on 18% gray...

Mike
I like the idea of Black walls. My new studio has all white walls so I plan to hang Black Muslin along the back wall and one side wall.

I tend to favor main light camera left so the side wall that will be covered will be camera right. Lot cheaper, and easier, than painting.
09-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
D W
Veteran Member

25 by 45 feet with ceiling height to steel joist of 16 feet was my shooting room with built in cyc's at one wall corner and two wall/floor corners.

Walls painted pure white with curtain tracks for special plastic coated matte black muslin. Lights on a ceiling grid system.

Just decide on white or black. It is easy to get these paint pure. 18% gray sounds good but it doesn't serve any purpose. It is also very difficult to get a paint colour that is only white and back without any colour contamination. If you don't want any reflection you should be going all black - but that colour room is very depressing to work in. I have a smaller room in black that I shot smaller photo-illustration type ads in where light control is more critical.

10-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My studio has black walls (flat black, actually), and I would never go back to white/medium gray walls. It's so much easier to control reflections with black walls. If I need some large reflectors, I use 4 X 8 styrofoam boards.

One area I find very important in a studio is a dedicated dressing/changing/make-up room. It's too often relegated to "this will do" kind of area. It never works out properly, and your models won't really apreciate if they have to change while everybody can see them.